JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have been digging around for over a year now trying to find some place, any place that would engrave a serial on my finished 80% lower....it has been a real pain. I ran into a friend the other day. I haven't seen him in years......I was sharing some build pics of my AR with him and explained that the last couple of steps needed to finish it were being held up by my lack of engraving options.
He brightened up and said....."You know? I have this old pantograph that has been sitting around for decades...maybe you could use that?" I am sure going to give it a try :)

Green Instrument Company - Green Engraver Model 106. Purchased in 1976 for 790 dollars.....

View attachment 311172
We engrave 80% lowers as well as laser engraving.

We have an older larger pantograph engraver and once you get the hang of it (couple hundred hours lol) you can turn out some pretty nice work. We've used ours on some of the Golden Boy Henry rifles that turned out great! No room for error on those lol One issue with the pantographs is getting the fonts/lettering. We have about a dozen plus symbols and such, plus we can make templates with our laser engraver. Little more time consuming but we have done it in the past.

**Update**
Had a 1st run 80% lower, a proto-.....that is slightly less than perfect, just laying around.....it will likely function well enough, but it is not perfect. So....why not practice engraving on the actual thing. Maybe one day this one will be built out....Anyway, some picture updates. I still need to add FIRE & SAFE on the other side. Perhaps I'll even add an image above the serial. I haven't tried freehand yet. Nothing to elaborate.
20160923_221436.jpg
20160926_075159.jpg
tmp_30218-20160926_065140-2114263079.jpg

Last Edited:
**Update**
Had a 1st run 80% lower, a proto-.....that is slightly less than perfect, just laying around.....it will likely function well enough, but it is not perfect. So....why not practice engraving on the actual thing. Maybe one day this one will be built out....Anyway, some picture updates. I still need to add FIRE & SAFE on the other side. Perhaps I'll even add an image above the serial. I haven't tried freehand yet. Nothing to elaborate.

***As I try to upload more pictures I am being told that there was an error in the attempts. It took a long while for me to even get these two in here. I'll try again later......
View attachment 314124
View attachment 314155
Looks great!

With that pantograph seems you got it figured out.

For any one else who needs a lower engraved, see if there is a trophy shop in your area. They are usually pretty good at engraving almost anything and pretty reasonable.

I had some work done a few yrs ago at my small town local trophy shop. though it was not on a gun, it was on 2 small name plates for a pair of large fossil fish I was framing.

It was cheap as I remember, like under 15 bucks and they supplied the brass name plates.

With that pantograph seems you got it figured out.

For any one else who needs a lower engraved, see if there is a trophy shop in your area. They are usually pretty good at engraving almost anything and pretty reasonable.

I had some work done a few yrs ago at my small town local trophy shop. though it was not on a gun, it was on 2 small name plates for a pair of large fossil fish I was framing.

It was cheap as I remember, like under 15 bucks and they supplied the brass name plates.

Is that even legal anymore? Would it be considered a transfer if they took it in the back to work on it?

I'm pretty sure you can't leave a lower with someone to be engraved unless they have an FFL. I do think that if you were to stay with your lower while it was happening it would be legal.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top