JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been digging around for over a year now trying to find some place, any place that would engrave a serial on my finished 80% lower....it has been a real pain. I ran into a friend the other day. I haven't seen him in years......I was sharing some build pics of my AR with him and explained that the last couple of steps needed to finish it were being held up by my lack of engraving options.
He brightened up and said....."You know? I have this old pantograph that has been sitting around for decades...maybe you could use that?" I am sure going to give it a try :)

Green Instrument Company - Green Engraver Model 106. Purchased in 1976 for 790 dollars.....

20160903_152414.jpg

If you decide to source it out to a shop @NWCustomFirearms does excellent work on engraving as well as everything else.

Bit of a drive but worth it if you want the best.

@Velzey may do that as well and is much closer too you.

Can't go wrong either way;)

Hey! thanks! One can never have too many reliable resources. If this engraver doesn't work out, the Couv isn't that bad of a drive :) I can stop off at Hooters.

That's a neat toy. I got a friend who's offered to sell me something similar, I'm probably going to take him up on it. The big thing is making sure you have the tracing templates. Once you've got that you're golden!

That's a neat toy. I got a friend who's offered to sell me something similar, I'm probably going to take him up on it. The big thing is making sure you have the tracing templates. Once you've got that you're golden!

Oh, for sure! This one came with 3 or 4 of every letter, number and various symbols. It was used at a few radio stations in the Portland area....it has some interesting masters. If I ever need to engrave an electrical schematic.....

haha right!! I'll post a few for sure.....Once i find my confidence, and actually apply it to this project ;).

Go grab some scrap aluminum at the local metal supply and try it out. Honestly I think a serial number that was full of electrical symbols would be awesome. Especially if it was "resistor resistor resistor"

Go grab some scrap aluminum at the local metal supply and try it out. Honestly I think a serial number that was full of electrical symbols would be awesome. Especially if it was "resistor resistor resistor"

oooohh, yes! Resistors!! I have a 1/8x1"x4'-0 alum flat bar I Picked up at Ace a while back for practice with a set of punches and a hand-held dremel engraver <-----not so pretty, unless I am looking for that "my 3 year old engraved this for me" sort of look ;)

oooohh, yes! Resistors!! I have a 1/8x1"x4'-0 alum flat bar I Picked up at Ace a while back for practice with a set of punches and a hand-held dremel engraver <-----not so pretty, unless I am looking for that "my 3 year old engraved this for me" sort of look ;)

Ugh, some years ago I built some prototype suppressors and had to mark them.... Using hand punches it took me nearly an hour, the real problem was punching out "rancho cucamonga"

**Update**
Earlier this evening, after the whiskey wore off.....I went out into the garage and ran this model 106 for the 1st time ever. I ran a set of letters and numbers with a dash even, just to see how it all worked out. I used 1/2 masters set at 1/4 scale to achieve 1/8 font, then switched the pivot points, or point rather, to 5/16 scale to achieve 5/32 font......but I only switched one of two pivots and ended up with slanted font running diagonally haha oops.....after I smashed the poop out of my right ring finger setting the second pivot to 5/16 as well....I finished the same string at 5/32 font. I set the depth a little deeper than I should have with the 5/32 font. It looks a little sloppy. I have a lot more practice ahead before I do any actual work on my receiver.
tmp_32502-20160908_233727626570136.jpg

**Update**
Earlier this evening, after the whiskey wore off.....I went out into the garage and ran this model 106 for the 1st time ever. I ran a set of letters and numbers with a dash even, just to see how it all worked out. I used 1/2 masters set at 1/4 scale to achieve 1/8 font, then switched the pivot points, or point rather, to 5/16 scale to achieve 5/32 font......but I only switched one of two pivots and ended up with slanted font running diagonally haha oops.....after I smashed the poop out of my right ring finger setting the second pivot to 5/16 as well....I finished the same string at 5/32 font. I set the depth a little deeper than I should have with the 5/32 font. It looks a little sloppy. I have a lot more practice ahead before I do any actual work on my receiver.
View attachment 311420

Maybe so, but you can tell from the test run that it's going to be cool!!!:D

Make sure to check your spelling before engraving any words.
NOVIS = Novice

haha oh my god!! thanks! You ever type out something or write something and not even realize how badly you messed up some pretty obvious spelling of basic words? wow!! :D

good thing i am not sppelling fewll werds, eh? ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top