JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
About 8-9 years ago I got a Columbia Interchange coat. Weatherproofed with a removable fleece liner. I really liked it, mainly because it has lots of pockets and I could carry a pistol in one of them very easily when I'm hiking in the woods :)

The zipper eventually broke and the weatherproofing wore out (in other words, I get wet when it rains).

I looked to see what the same model would cost now...wow! I must have gotten a helluva deal at Nordy Rack when I bought mine because I sure didn't pay $300 for it.

So I'm thinking of a couple options:

1. Is it possible to "refurbish" coats? There's no real fundamental fabric problem, just needs a new zipper and needs a weatherproofing treatment. Is that possible?
  2. Back in college (early 90s) I wore an M65 army jacket. I remember it working pretty well, but that was 20 years ago and my memory is foggy. With the liner they're around $80-90. Anyone wear an M65? Or is that one of those cases like the ALICE pack where lowest bidder is not the way to go...

I don't spend a ton of time outside - a daily hike in a federal forest with my dog, usual errands, periodically longer hikes. Being Oregon, my major weather problem is not getting soaked. Thoughts on other coats? I really don't have $300 to spend on a coat...

Thanks!

just my $0.02 worth but....the m65 should be more than adequate for the uses you stated. I've got 12 years experience wearing that jacket as a job requirement, in numerous types of environments and still wear it 8 years after leaving the Army. So yes, for casual use it's great, inexpensive, and lasts for years. But I don't recommend using it for any conditions where you'll be getting rained on excessively or for a great length of time, or for any serious cold, or situations where you'll be in restrictive spaces, or will be carrying a lot of gear, or will need full range of motion of your arms. The m65 sucks for any of that. Damn thing is ok to wear around if you're not doing much, but it's too bulky and restrictive, especially when compared to it's levels of rain and cold protection. There are a lot of different jackets that are far superior to the m65 in all those areas and many can be purchased for less than $300. I'd recommend the G.I. issue gore tex parka. Lighter, warmer, easier to move in, and more water resistant. I've seen them sell for anywhere between $60 -$120 at various websites. Try cheaperthandirt, Cope's distributing, Armygear.net

I read good things about 3M's Scotchgard Water Repellent (I understood there's an "outdoor" or "heavy duty" version that is recommended) as well as Kiwi Camp Dry Heavy Duty Water Repellent. The Kiwi stuff seems a bit cheaper, but has good reviews as well. Saw both on Amazon. If your jacket is still good except for the waterproofing and you want to keep it, I'd try the re-proofing-in-a-can first. Some people do report mixed results, so make sure to test and carefully apply everywhere.

Or...as you noted in your #1, you could get a new zipper put in the Columbia that you love and spend $6 on a can of Camp Dry and be set for another season.

I use the Camp Dry on everything, jackets, vests, hats, boots and even the patio furniture. Works great and is only around $6 a can at Bi-Mart.

Scotchgard Water Repellent or Camp Dry Heavy Duty Water Repellent, do not work very well or very long.

If you want to stay dry, inside your clothing as well as out, buy Gor-Tex!

Columbia has a lifetime warranty on coats so you can just return it and get a new one. Stop by one of the outlets or the main store downtown and they will help you out.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top