JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Two very important lessons that I learned in traditional martial arts.

When the instructor walks out of his office, the senior student calls the class to attention and everyone bows to the instructor. You are warming up, BSing with your friends...but you are always watching the door, because if a junior student sees the instructor and calls the class to attention before you see him, you are in trouble. Constant awareness no matter what is going on.

Holding boards for teenagers to break during promotions. 1 out of 5 breaks, someone will hit your fingers...and it will hurt. You have to stand ridged and absorb the pain, because if you flinch, the student will bounce off the board. It's going to hurt, but you cant allow that to affect the task that you are doing.

My Dad taught us that unless you are in a sport, there are no fair fights.

No matter where he was stationed, he always enrolled us in martial arts. Then when we started weapons training, he taught us firearms.

I did the same thing with my kids.

Bruce Lee, the immortal, said, there is no best way, be like water.

Fixed structure martial arts are constraining, they can serve as foundational skills, but limiting oneself to a style is 'poor planning.'

There seems to be a new trend for MMA type fighters in Asia to go around challenging martial artists who prescribe to a specific doctrine, then showing them the error of constraining to a specific doctrine.

"Best"...
Avoid the problem all together in the first place...
If you cannot then...
Use what you know and what you have available...
Tailor that to fit the situation that you are in...
Do whatever you need to do to survive the encounter...

I tend to agree with the idea of not using only one method as a "fighting style"...
What works "best" at one point in time and place for someone , may not be helpful at all for you , in your situation...
Andy

I am fairly certain that situational awareness and a CC that expends a projectile at 1900pfs, will beat any "style" of martial arts out there. :D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top