A Navy Seal on Best Self Defense - vid.

Reactions
Two very important lessons that I learned in traditional martial arts.

When the instructor walks out of his office, the senior student calls the class to attention and everyone bows to the instructor. You are warming up, BSing with your friends...but you are always watching the door, because if a junior student sees the instructor and calls the class to attention before you see him, you are in trouble. Constant awareness no matter what is going on.

Holding boards for teenagers to break during promotions. 1 out of 5 breaks, someone will hit your fingers...and it will hurt. You have to stand ridged and absorb the pain, because if you flinch, the student will bounce off the board. It's going to hurt, but you cant allow that to affect the task that you are doing.

Reactions
Bruce Lee, the immortal, said, there is no best way, be like water.

Fixed structure martial arts are constraining, they can serve as foundational skills, but limiting oneself to a style is ‘poor planning.’

There seems to be a new trend for MMA type fighters in Asia to go around challenging martial artists who prescribe to a specific doctrine, then showing them the error of constraining to a specific doctrine.

Andy54Hawken

Reactions
"Best"...
Avoid the problem all together in the first place...
If you cannot then...
Use what you know and what you have available...
Tailor that to fit the situation that you are in...
Do whatever you need to do to survive the encounter...

I tend to agree with the idea of not using only one method as a "fighting style"...
What works "best" at one point in time and place for someone , may not be helpful at all for you , in your situation...
Andy

UPCOMING EVENTS

Free Firearms Safety Course (I-1639 Compliant)
Virtual Webinar (Zoom). Registration Link in the course description.
Seattle, WA, USA
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Sportsman's Warehouse - Albany
    5.00 star(s)
    Good products at good prices with friendly and knowledgeable staff!
    We like to visit the Albany location as it's closer but have been to several others and they have all been great!:D
  • Umpqua Survival
    4.00 star(s)
    Easy NFA transfer
    I had a silencer transferred through their shop. The paperwork was quick and the staff helpful and friendly. Whilst waiting, I did see a nice...
  • MK Tactical
    5.00 star(s)
    Awesome staff
    Being new to the area and having just made an online purchase of an AR lower, I opted to use MK Tactical as my FFL, without knowing anything about...
  • J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Good local shop
    Picked up a rifle yesterday from J&B. This was the second or third gun purchase over the last few years from them. I always enjoy stopping by...
  • H&K Gun Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    The only place I have found 9mm in stock
    I’ll admit I didn’t even know this place existed, as I don’t tend to go into Forest Grove often. But it’s a giant (looks bigger from the...
Top Bottom