JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Howdy
I was born and raised in Portland and currently live Downtown. I'm a man of God and I f*cking love the planet he's giving to take care of. I'm from a family full of fisherman and hunters but my love for this state as an outdoorsman came naturally. I love urban fishing for bass, fly fishing for trout, and carp and shad. I love snowboarding on Mt.Hood, and exploring the city on my bike. Go Blazers :/

I've been around guns all my life but I didn't become a gun owner until 114 passed. The morning after 114 passed I said "oh sh*t it's happening" and frantically started the journey. Now I have a spending problem lol. Right now, I own a few 5.56/.223 and 9mm's. I'm also currently waiting for my Multnomah CHL to arrive soon (would love to talk to other Portland CHL holders).

I enjoy living here because it gives me the opportunity and freedom to interact with all sorts of people. My background has allowed me to see things from all perspectives. I seek to understand, talk to humans, and create solutions for a living. I'm not politically loyal to anything because current extremism on both sides is terrible and it forces people to choose a side even if they don't agree with everything they stand behind. I'm driven by my own values and morals.

"KeEp PoRtLaNd WeIrd"
I love this city but as I've grown with Portland I've realized nothing here makes sense. I believe "keeping Portland weird" has been extremely culturally detrimental to this city and has prevented true progression and promoted this city as a safe haven for problems from other cities. This city wears a fake progressive mask, it is closed minded and unreceptive to proven solutions, and has zero accountability in leadership. Newcomers and those blind to issues have become prideful for the wrong things. PDX is losing it's culture where all walks of life used to be able to work together even if they had differences. Our communities are being misinformed and lied to, forced to choose one political side or another, and being used by both sides to support agendas that negatively impact their communities. The voice of the real people that have deep ties here are being muted and ignored, our local businesses and neighborhoods rich in culture are being gentrified and replaced by greedy external entities with zero ties to this city and state. Most importantly: empathy, critical thinking, and collaboration is lost.

We need to understand this is a medium city with big city problems, it is not special, it's problems are not unique. If you do not have interest for this city, have never had personal experiences here, haven't had a constructive conversation with someone who lives here, or promote this city in a malicious light: move, run away, or shut the hell up. Those that have real love for PDX and Oregon should not tolerant disrespect and unconstructive criticism. Energy should only be going to authentic interest in discussing solutions. Being angry doesn't get anywhere, we're all tired of different sides being alienated. As Oregonians we need to re-learn how to have civil discussions, basic respect, and empathy with one another in order to fix OUR problems.

EMPATHIZE. LOVE THY NEIGHBOR. DON'T BE AN ASSH*LE.

Last Edited:
Obi Wan Kenobi Reaction GIF by Star Wars

welcome

Welcome. I think your description of Portland is pretty good. Having lived here before the fall when people were nice and it was relatively safe, we have seen it turned into a festering sh!thole. There is no way to fix these problems because each method the current government uses to "fix" the problem makes it much worse. This creates the needs to raise taxes more and spend more $ to "fix" the problem, which only makes it grow bigger due to their methods. It's a vicious cycle that won't end anytime soon (at least one generation minimum I think). Criminals know law enforcement here is a joke are emboldened to be more brazen and push the envelope every year. They prey on the naïveté of nice Portland residents. These residents are the ocean in which the vicious sharks swim as they say. My family and I will be moving.

Glad to see you are diving into the firearms world and you have found a good community here. Lots of friendly folk and high character folk in here. Prepare to be tolerant of our crazy thread drifts and jokes.

Cheers and welcome!

It's cute you think we can reason or negotiate with the anti-gun crowd (especially those elected). Negotiations end with us conceding something year after year. There's no give and take. Maddening

Welcome aboard though!

It's cute you think we can reason or negotiate with the anti-gun crowd (especially those elected). Negotiations end with us conceding something year after year. There's no give and take. Maddening

Welcome aboard though!
Thanks for your reply.

Saying things like is "it's cute..." can create disdain and you're supporting what I've said in my post having civil discussion.
It's not about reasoning and negotiating. You agree with me that doing so with the elected directly is ineffective. Realize that those on the other side of 2A are saying the exact same thing that you just said. It starts with you having the willingness and be comfortable with effectively educate the people around you in your personal life to help them understand their own rights instead of seeing it as just your rights to 2A.

EMPATHIZE
When I see this
DON'T BE AN ASSH*LE.
Whenever I see this statement this I am reminded of when I chose to be an elbow.
It was early one morning in basic training and the very loud sgt woke us up with his loud voice that he wanted to see assh*les and elbows I thought being identified as an elbow was more a more dignified identity. :D:)

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice."
Barry Goldwater

There's a lot of us that have been reaching out to the other side and trying to have a dialogue for decades. After decades of reaching out and having our hands come back as bloody stumps we're quite tired of trying to have a dialogue.

Welcome to here, wherever that is for you. Welcome to firearms ownership, better late than never.

Welcome Aboard. Glad you found the forum.

This is the best place to hang out on the internet.

Check out the organized clean ups. It's the best way to meet the community and learn where and how to use public lands responsibly.

We are doing non ODF supported cleanups at public forests - check the North Fork Wolf Creek Road thread in resources.

If you really want to get involved in community action check out Trash No Land.

Welcome and glad you are starting your firearms venture. That said, although this is a great forum, it takes a bit before a person should jump up on the soap box. Might just hang out for a while and get to know us before getting too long winded.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads