JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This may be covered in another thread, but I got this in my inbox a few ago:

Senate Bill 941 - Hearing is Wednesday, April 1

Background Checks on Private Gun Sales

Your Sheriff's Office administers concealed handgun licenses for more than 20,000 people in Washington County, so we are receiving many inquiries about SB 941. My message below is an effort to answer all the questions being fielded by my office before the legislative hearing tomorrow.

-------------------------------------

Dear Washington County Residents and Businesses,

73d72c9a-bf04-42f4-8b86-f56f68d842d6.jpg

SB 941 is not a new concept, but the latest effort to legislate background checks on private gun sales. In fact, over several past legislative sessions, Oregon sheriffs have expressed strong concerns that have had a positive impact on the language in this version of the bill.

I commend the legislature for responding to several of our concerns. For instance, this version of the bill will not require background checks for firearms transfers among family, on shooting ranges, when hunting, for a gunsmith, for temporary reasons related to individual safety (though very limited), and when the transferee is in the presence of the transferor.

However, I still have concerns about some provisions of SB 941.

1. I am concerned criminals will get around the new law by accessing firearms another way. For more than a few criminals, the threat of a misdemeanor criminal charge will not be a significant deterrent.
  2. The law will be onerous for law abiding citizens with layers of new requirements. Many Oregonians are serious sport shooters, hunters and collectors. Frequently and with great care, they buy, sell and trade firearms with each other. I am concerned this law could create crimes and criminals out of otherwise law abiding people. Also, it's unclear what priority prosecutors and stressed court systems will place on charging people who have no prior criminal record for an unauthorized gun transfer under this new law.
  3. I am concerned that much of this law will be unenforceable. It's unclear how law enforcement will learn of unauthorized transfers, and in many cases it will be very challenging to disprove a claim that a transfer was temporary in nature and therefore authorized. Laws that are largely unenforceable diminish respect for the law in general, which we do not need in today's environment.
  4. I am concerned how the State plans to account for the fiscal impact and increased pressure on the current background check system. The State's background system is already heavily burdened, and additional requests could significantly slow the system further, unless additional funds are provided to bolster capacity.
The Oregon State Sheriff's Association will offer written testimony at the hearing tomorrow,Wednesday, April 1. (Visit www.oregonsheriffs.org tomorrow to read it.) Clearly, if you have strong feelings, you are encouraged to contact your legislators directly.

In the bigger picture this session, I appreciate the legislature's work to provide ongoing and additional mental health investments for local communities. I believe those investments go much further to serve people in mental health crisis and reduce gun violence.

Finally, I understand some of you will have different views on SB 941, but as your elected Sheriff, I want to do my best to communicate my position and the reasoning behind it.

Sincerely,

91.jpg

Sheriff Pat Garrett

So OSSA will offer written testimony tomorrow at the hearing, but there will not be an oral argument presented to support their position. No oral testimony on OSSA's part--given how important their analysis is of the problem? Am I getting this wrong? tkdguy

Reply I rec. from Yamhill county sheriff.

I have attached a letter that I sent to all State Representatives and Senators in our district in regards to my opposition to SB 941. As a newly elected Sheriff I have watched how politics is played in Salem and we are in an interesting point in time where things seem to get pushed through the Senate with very little debate or discussion. I have reached out to OSSA to see what direction they were going to take on this SB and they will be providing testimony tomorrow as well. I appreciate you taking the time to reach out to me and please feel free to contact me anytime if you have further questions of me.

Sheriff Tim Svenson

Yamhill County Sheriff's Office

535 E 5th Street, RM 143

McMinnville, OR 97128

P: (503)434-7440

F:(503)472-5330

img026_zpsrjx0uw45.jpg

Last Edited:
As if that crook gives two pigs or a chicken about your firearm rights.

Not to rain on your parade, but seeking help or even valuing the opinion of someone who already tramples over every single right you are entitled to by birth, is ludacris.

Not to rain on your parade, but seeking help or even valuing the opinion of someone who already tramples over every single right you are entitled to by birth, is ludacris.
Why bring a rapper in to this debate.....oh you meant ludicrous. My mom raised me to be smart....I only added the a$$ when I got older.

Brutus out

So OSSA will offer written testimony tomorrow at the hearing, but there will not be an oral argument presented to support their position. No oral testimony on OSSA's part--given how important their analysis is of the problem? Am I getting this wrong? tkdguy

Are you speaking of Oregon State Shooters Association or Oregon State Sherriff's Association ?

I would expect it to be obvious. He extorts money out of people who only want to protect themselves.

Every four years I pay 60 bucks just to have the right to not be thrown in jail for defending myself and my family to the best of my ability.

To go further; Pat Garrett also does not believe in innocent until proven guilty. Did you know that on the authority of Pat Garrett, the Shriff's office will revoke your CHL before you are even charged with a crime? All you have to do is be cited by an upset officer.

And by the way, he extorts even more money out of you just to reinstate the CHL. Even if you are never even charged with a crime.

I guess that means every county that issues CHL permits are full of extortionists and felons. Have you alerted the media?

164.075¹
Theft by extortion

(1) A person commits theft by extortion when the person compels or induces another to deliver property to the person or to a third person by instilling in the other a fear that, if the property is not so delivered, the actor or a third person will in the future....

Theft by extortion is a Class B felony. [1971 c.743 §127; 1987 c.158 §27; 2007 c.71 §48]

Why bring a rapper in to this debate.....oh you meant ludicrous. My mom raised me to be smart....I only added the a$$ when I got older.

Brutus out
Why not use a question mark? Why not use the space bar? How is any of it relevant anyway?

Just another nobody with nothing important to say. Carry on, Brutus. I'll try and watch my spelling, for your sake, in the future. Thank you for opening my eyes to the error of my ways.

They are. Whether you agree or not is your own business.
Doesn't matter if I agree or not. You made the accusation and if what you say is true then they have committed multiple crimes. So the question begs, what are you or have you done to bring this to the attention of the local media or the District Attorney?

Floyd and crew make accusations as well...doesn't mean they are true, it just means they have an agenda.

Does Floyd Prozanski's lack of any proof that UBC will reduce gun crimes decide the validity of his statement somehow?

As Rush Limbaugh says regarding the liberal mindset, "It's not the crime that matters, but rather the seriousness of the accusation"

It's a tired old tactic of accusing someone without proving what is said because the true purpose is for hurting the person being accused.

This is exactly why we keep losing our gun rights. Somebody who supports our position and our rights doesn't quite meet the height of the bar we've set, so we condemn them and alienate them, and refuse their help. The sheriff is following the law as it's written regarding CHLs. He didn't write it. He has no choice. He does not want to see any more useless laws passed. That should make us cheer, but some of us can find a dark cloud for every silver lining. Self-defeating behavior is what it's called. There are forums where you can go and associate only with like-minded purists like yourself. You can go there and exchange bitter comments about how things ought to be all day long and never have to acknowledge reality. Have a nice day.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top