JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Greetings to all,
I'm under the impression that the .357 mag. packs a bigger wallop than
the 10mm auto, - but I've seen some debate out there in the world of revolving wheel guns concerning where the 10mm auto cartridge falls into place for power and recoil among other handgun cartridges but primarily the .357 mag. and the 40 S&W....... All other perameters being roughly equal ofcoarse.
I'm considering the S&W model 610 and how it's overall performance would compare to a SIMULAR revolver chambered for the .357 mag.?
Feedback appreciated. Thanks..........

My favorite...well one of my favorite is a Dan Wesson 357, very accurate, packs a punch, but an okay recoil. I have not fired a 10mm but a 9mm beretta which kicks more in my hands. And I have some initial arthiritis in my hands.
my 2 cents.

I dissagree. Averaging 100+ loads for each round the 10 runs 1267 fps muzzle velocity and 604 ft lbs muzzle energy for an average. The .357 averages at 1585 fps and 880 ft lbs. I don't have a dog in the fight, just ran the numbers...
Mad

I dissagree. Averaging 100+ loads for each round the 10 runs 1267 fps muzzle velocity and 604 ft lbs muzzle energy for an average. The .357 averages at 1585 fps and 880 ft lbs. I don't have a dog in the fight, just ran the numbers...
Mad

Ah okay, well it may be true as far as hand loads go, I was just thinking that it seems that most typical factory .357 loads (remington, winchester, ect), can be out shadowed by the higher end 10mm loads. Although this is kind of comparing apples to oranges, considering how weak the normal factory 10mm loadings are.

You really can't compare recoil unless your comparing the same type of firearm (in weight).

I mean if you take a full size stainless handgun in 10mm vs a compact 357 airlight or other other way around.

It's like comparing a Beretta 92 (9mm) to a Kel Tec P3AT (380ACP). The Kel Tec is so much more recoil even though it's a smaller caliber.

Also felt recoil is one for the shooter. I mean some people think a 45ACP is too much recoil.

Shoot what you like and can shoot well.

You really can't compare recoil unless your comparing the same type of firearm (in weight).

I mean if you take a full size stainless handgun in 10mm vs a compact 357 airlight or other other way around.

It's like comparing a Beretta 92 (9mm) to a Kel Tec P3AT (380ACP). The Kel Tec is so much more recoil even though it's a smaller caliber.

Also felt recoil is one for the shooter. I mean some people think a 45ACP is too much recoil.

Shoot what you like and can shoot well.

I believe that he is wanting comparison in similar revolvers, so it would be a .357 N frame, like a model 28 vs a 610.

And thanks to all that shared............
This web site is a great resourse.
There's just something special about that S&W 610. Although if I find a
S&W 627 or a GP100 to my liking and for a good price I would have to buy
the 610 later.
Now I'm off to research and compare between the two more affordable
rounds for those two calibers. Namely the 38 special and the 40 s&w.
Thanks again......

And thanks to all that shared............
This web site is a great resourse.
There's just something special about that S&W 610. Although if I find a
S&W 627 or a GP100 to my liking and for a good price I would have to buy
the 610 later.
Now I'm off to research and compare between the two more affordable
rounds for those two calibers. Namely the 38 special and the 40 s&w.
Thanks again......

Also one thing that you may want to look into, I've heard of accuracy issues running some .40 S&W in 610s, but the most I have heard is rumors, I've never owned a 610.

if you can find a 610 without a lock, or a 8 shot 627, for a reasonable price, then you should be good to go.

Cabela's Lacey have, in their used gun case, three S&W 686 in .357, one with rather worn bore (4"), another fir fifty bucks more with much better bore, and a third in 6" and is a 7 shot, all stainless. Prices from $6-700 or so.

BUT--- I'd seriously look at a Ruger GP 100 (already mentioned) and their Security Six, both available in .357, either blued or stainless. I managed to find a Security Six in stainless, 6" barrel, near new condition, on Gunbroker for four hundred bucks delivered, no tax (and cost me another $25 for the FFL transfer nonsense...) I was rather pleased..... don't have a ten, though, so no comparisons. One of the reasons I wanted a revolver in .357 is the Browning model 92 in .357 (as new) I also managed to find the same week....... figure they'll make a good pair. Same ammo for two guns, one short, one long.......

I've had two 10MMs and several 357s.
For the 10MM as it is capable of being...visit Doubletapammo
Far harder hitting than the 357. 200gr bullets Moving.
44Mag is the beast to hold on to.
In Ruger Gps 357 SS look at the 3" fixed, I've anchored game at approx. 150' easily. Use Permatex Anti-seize [the silver stuff] to make the SS action work like butter. That is my BEST tip regarding firearms. sorry to ramble; good choice and find with the B-92. So you have to get the 357.

. Use Permatex Anti-seize [the silver stuff] to make the SS action work like butter. That is my BEST tip regarding firearms. sorry to ramble; good choice and find with the B-92. So you have to get the 357.

Hey, that NeverSneeze stuff, I've used it for years, but never thought of using it on a gun's action. Where are the critical places to put it? Open the side and get it on the trigger/spur/hammer?

As to the .357, perhaps I wasn't clear, or maybe you were intending it for someone else... but I DID find both guns, and bought them, the Browning BLR Model 92, and the Ruger Security Six, six inch barrel, stainless... both in .357, both near new.

The real kicker is that, just after that, I happened across another Browning BLR Model 92, this one the Centennial (ONLY made in 1978), and a Ruger Super Red Hawk long barrel, stainless, both in .44 Mag, and both BRAND NEW NEVER FIRED STILL IN ORIGINAL BOXES!! Both are so pretty and fine I haven't had the heart to run some lead through them....... I just may keep them new never fired... at least for a while. I've got other stuff to play with, so they can sit and I won't miss them. Perhaps I should get acquainted with the pair of .357's for a while......

One of my favorite guns is my (tuned) Ruger Police Service-Six .357 magnum, blued, 2.75" barrel, sporting Hogue rubber Monogrips, and loaded with 158 grain Federal Hydra-Shoks. I feel pretty good with this combo.

This is a great thread and gives me some ideas.
I have a 10mm and a 357 so I'm thinking I'll need to do some tests to see which hits harder.
I'll wait for the snow and blow up some squash.

As for my view,I never saw the point of getting a wheel gun in a semi-auto caliber.So many calibers that work perfect for a revolver and no moon clips.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top