JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Heard on the scanner another call for a white male in his 20's yelling gibberish and walking around shaking his fists. I remarked to my co-worker that there sure seems to be a lot of crazy people around here. Being a millenial that knows everything, he said there's lots of crazy people everywhere. Oh really? Where else have you lived? Well, no where. That's what I thought. Millenials... :rolleyes:

So, to prove my point, I did a web search on states with the highest rates of mental illness in the US.

I was actually surprised by the results.

The state with the highest rate of mental illness? Oregon. Next highest? Idaho. Then Alaska, then Washington.

mentalillness.JPG

The west coast is chock full of runners.
People have been running west to get away from their problems since this country was new. California is full, so the tide has shifted north.
Alaska has a whole nother level of appeal to the truly different (sometimes crazy) individuals. Property values have something to do with the homeless/mentally ill migration as well. Plenty of head cases in San Francisco, but with real estate sold by the square inch I think someone might be more motivated to displace local "characters ".
My amateur observations, over the last couple decades. No hard data.

As a younger person that has been to most of the states in the US as well as lived in several states on the west coast and the south I can firmly say: there are crazies everywhere. in the south we had a very paranoid guy that cleaned the floorsin the paint booth. Not sure if it was the solvent fumes that did it or not.

Some places like Portland and Berkeley just encourage the behavior.

Oh, and welcome to the consequences of legalizing previously restricted drugs.

Just came back from a road trip from WA through OR, NV and stayed in AZ.

I work in Seattle, so I am well aware of the crazies we have here.

My family and I spent a few days in downtown Phoenix. There was a few bums. All well behaved. Are there crazies? Possibly, but we didn't see any who were "crazy". We also didn't see sidewalk poop, planter needles, gutter needles, piles of trash, tents, penises or bums at all in Phoenix.

We also stayed in Vegas. The bums there are a lot like Phoenix, and nothing like Seattle bums.

In Seattle, every. single. bum is bat-crap crazy or a drug-addled scumbag in your face. And there is garbage, sidewalk poop, tents, needles EVERYWHERE.

And, Seattle is pushing to de-criminalize hard drug possession.

So, yes. There are "bums" everywhere. But, the type of "crazy" you see seems to be tied to whatever the locals will tolerate. My wife, and my son, who get tired of me ranting about the bums every day after work even spoke about the differences. They were surprised at how differently the coastal cities handle bums from how inland areas handle bums.

The link says,
19% of adults** in the US are experiencing a mental illness (that's 47 million people)....
... I think they then divided 47 mill by 50 States to arrive at 940,000 nutz afflicted per State.

1.8 million folks live in Idaho and and if there's 940,000 nutz cases = 52% are nutz sub-prime mentally...

.... That, and given the fact that most "Mental Health Professionals" that write advertising copy research papers, refuse to accept "suck it up, Buttercup!" as "access to mental health care" as it doesn't pay them anywhere enough $$$$ per hour, nor provide enough twice-weekly sessions to pay for their villa in the south of France. So, the State will then also fall short of the "access to services" they would consider optimal.
And...it's only gonna get worse, what with all the Californians flooding in ! (thank God, at least New York doesn't seem to know we exist)

** and really.... ONLY 19% ?..... sounds WAAYYYY low to me... I wonder, are they're including themselves in the count?
I mean, yikes! .... just TDS alone must account for Millions!

In a similar type of "informed" article that popped up while checking out an article about " 10 Foods that will make you Immortal" ....
.....In it, the "Experts" from the " Institute of Click-on-This ", listed 25 of the ugliest cars ever built ...which included the Mercedes 300sl Gullwing, '57 Bel-air, GT40, and Jag XK120 !

Last Edited:
When I lived in Iceland people bubblegumting in the streets was pretty common. It was all alcohol over there tho. Not many of the drugs we have around here. Just a bar on every corner.

And so...?
As in every place has its share of crazy...Some admittedly have a "Special kind of crazy" or seem a bit more of a "crazy magnet' than others.
But still...so what...?

Mind your own business...
Work on what you can change or control and not worry 'bout those things you can't....
Be aware of your surroundings...
Once you realize that you have encountered "crazy" , its often best to "break contact"...

All of the above have helped , whenever I have come across "crazy".
Andy

Just came back from a road trip from WA through OR, NV and stayed in AZ.

I work in Seattle, so I am well aware of the crazies we have here.

My family and I spent a few days in downtown Phoenix. There was a few bums. All well behaved. Are there crazies? Possibly, but we didn't see any who were "crazy". We also didn't see sidewalk poop, planter needles, gutter needles, piles of trash, tents, penises or bums at all in Phoenix.

We also stayed in Vegas. The bums there are a lot like Phoenix, and nothing like Seattle bums.

In Seattle, every. single. bum is bat-crap crazy or a drug-addled scumbag in your face. And there is garbage, sidewalk poop, tents, needles EVERYWHERE.

And, Seattle is pushing to de-criminalize hard drug possession.

So, yes. There are "bums" everywhere. But, the type of "crazy" you see seems to be tied to whatever the locals will tolerate. My wife, and my son, who get tired of me ranting about the bums every day after work even spoke about the differences. They were surprised at how differently the coastal cities handle bums from how inland areas handle bums.
Try crescent city California one summer. Small town with city sized homeless population.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top