JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a question thread. Use the up arrow to the right of good answers to upvote. Answers with more votes appear higher on the list.
Reactions
Having a hard time pulling the trigger on negative feedback for a member. So I thought I'd take some opinions from other members on the matter. I've waited since 4/17/18 for my butthurt to subside, and it hasn't.

Made a deal with a member for a small amount of ammo, and have had a prior successful face to face transaction with said member. Agreed on price, time to meet, everything. He then sends a PM a couple hours before the meetup (all of this happened same day) asking if I'm still interested in the ammo because another member has offered asking price ($5 more than our agreed price). I say yes I'll be there at 4:30. He then proceeds to ask me if I'd pay $45 versus the $40 we previously agreed to. It obviously upset me, so I just told him to go ahead and sell it to the other member. So since I told him to sell to the other member I sort of feel bad leaving negative feedback. But on the other hand who would sour their reputation on here over $5?? Seems insane to me. In the end I didn't actually lose any money or anything, but the rules set forth by @Joe Link clearly state.......

"Follow through once you commit to a purchase, sale, or trade
Once you commit to a deal you should do your best to follow through. Members who flake on deals will likely receive negative feedback, which will not be removed."

So I'm feeling like he deserves some negative feedback. What do you guys think? Am I just being a baby? I know I will never deal with him again, and I'm thinking the negative feedback might help other members avoid a similar situation.

Any feedback on the situation is appreciated. BTW have the PM screen shots to prove everything.

Having a hard time pulling the trigger on negative feedback for a member. So I thought I'd take some opinions from other members on the matter. I've waited since 4/17/18 for my butthurt to subside, and it hasn't.

Made a deal with a member for a small amount of ammo, and have had a prior successful face to face transaction with said member. Agreed on price, time to meet, everything. He then sends a PM a couple hours before the meetup (all of this happened same day) asking if I'm still interested in the ammo because another member has offered asking price ($5 more than our agreed price). I say yes I'll be there at 4:30. He then proceeds to ask me if I'd pay $45 versus the $40 we previously agreed to. It obviously upset me, so I just told him to go ahead and sell it to the other member. So since I told him to sell to the other member I sort of feel bad leaving negative feedback. But on the other hand who would sour their reputation on here over $5?? Seems insane to me. In the end I didn't actually lose any money or anything, but the rules set forth by @Joe Link clearly state.......

Once you commit to a deal you should do your best to follow through. Members who flake on deals will likely receive negative feedback, which will not be removed."

So I'm feeling like he deserves some negative feedback. What do you guys think? Am I just being a baby? I know I will never deal with him again, and I'm thinking the negative feedback might help other members avoid a similar situation.

Any feedback on the situation is appreciated. BTW have the PM screen shots to prove everything.

You PROBABLY should have mentioned at the time, that you had a verbal agreement (aka verbal contract according to the forum rules). By you "cutting bait" and telling the seller to go ahead and sell it, gave "him" permission to sell it elsewhere, and it COULD be argued as such in "his" defense... IMHO just walk away this time, but next time "stand your ground" or at least specifically articulate (in a plain manner) your thoughts/feelings to a potential seller should this scenerio occur.

It's just a business transaction and some people (most actually) aren't very good at "good business" practices, as "closing the deal" isn't all there is to business, it's also about "relationships" and following through in a deal.

Let go, you must! ;)

Upvote 0
You PROBABLY should have mentioned at the time, that you had a verbal agreement (aka verbal contract according to the forum rules). By you "cutting bait" and telling the seller to go ahead and sell it, gave "him" permission to sell it elsewhere, and it COULD be argued as such in "his" defense... IMHO just walk away this time, but next time "stand your ground" or at least specifically articulate (in a plain manner) your thoughts/feelings to a potential seller should this scenerio occur.

It's just a business transaction and some people (most actually) aren't very good at "good business" practices, as "closing the deal" isn't all there is to business, it's also about "relationships" and following through in a deal.

Let go, you must! ;)
You're right in line with my thinking. I just didn't want to feel like I had to strong arm him into selling it to me at the original price. Guess I feel like it would have been an awkward face to face.

Upvote 0
I agree, while it's a crappy decision on the part of the seller, since you didn't push back and try to get him to honor the deal, it's probably worth letting it go this time. If you had asked him to honor your deal and he told you to pound sand over $5, it might be worth negative or at least neutral feedback, just to make sure other folks don't run into an issue with that person later. Personally, if I had an arrangement with someone and they backed out like that, I wouldn't be doing business with them again.

Upvote 0
You're right in line with my thinking. I just didn't want to feel like I had to strong arm him into selling it to me at the original price. Guess I feel like it would have been an awkward face to face.

I get it, I don't exactly enjoy being confrontational (believe it or not.... LOL), but a deal is a deal and $5 less wasn't like you were taking food and clothing away from his family for the winter, either.

;)

Upvote 0

I think you muddied the water when you gave him permission to sell to the other guy, and shouldn't leave negative feedback after that. If instead you had stuck to the original deal and he had backed out because he had a 5 dollar higher offer, I think you would be justifed in leaving negative feedback. I have never done a deal on this forum, but that's how I'd feel about it whatever the platform.

Upvote 0
You really don't need to leave that negative feedback... As other's have said a bit earlier, let it go this time...

When the "Seller" reads this he will know he failed the "Integrity" test...

Upvote 0
I would have paid the extra $5.00 and asked him if he was that hard up for cash. If he told me a reasonable answer then I would just let it go. If he just gives a lame excuse, then I wouldn't do business with him again and then I would give a neutral feedback.

Upvote 0
Conversely, I have paid more than I should for something, especially ammo, because I jumped the gun a little too quickly on saying I would buy it at a given price before I did my due diligence on the going price. I always followed thru, because even though I paid too much, it was a deal I agreed to.

As people are often reminded here, this is not an auction site - we can haggle on the price, but once a deal is made don't back out because someone offers more.

Upvote 0
A deal is a deal. It is his property though and he is obviously looking to make a little more cash.

But in my opinion a deal is a deal. I hate when guys meet up and attempt to low ball or change the price. Its just obnoxious.

Its pretty much why Armslist and the old "outdoors trader" that is no longer around are what they are and NWFA is what it is. Built on reviews, trust and character. I find that only a new guy would pull a stunt like that. If it was a long time member.. thats tult a shame. Especially over $5.. five measly dollars. It would be different if it was something like a poorly priced firearm and the seller realized they made an error and needed to raise the price.. but ammo.. and only $5?.. why would he need to do that.. its just slimy.

I dont think Id leave negative feedback.. as a seller can back out at any time for any reason as can a buyer (with proper notification). However, I wouldnt do business with that guy again. Once you burn a bridge, thats it.

Upvote 0
I'm glad everybody is on the same page. I will not leave him negative feedback this time. I was just worried I was doing everyone here a disservice by not leaving it. Thanks for the feedback fellas.

Upvote 0
There is nothing stopping you from leaving him negative feedback.
Then again...... There is nothing stopping him from giving you negative feedback. o_O

The system sounds great but can't really work without a full time arbitrator. :s0002:

Last Edited:
Upvote 0
:D it's the face of doing business today, it seems some folks word is only good when the money changes hands. The deal is like the net, you really don't know who you are talking to. One of the guys here spotted a great deal and was first up with I will take it. Seller said ok then came back later with he was offered $100 more so the deal is off. Money talks louder than integrity in some people, just learn who to do business with.

Myself I ask the seller to not leave feed back at all, no sense leaving the government a record of what you buy and sell.:cool:

Upvote 0
As has been said, the neg. would likely get you a neg. even if not deserving. I just would Never do business with that individual again. Is a neg. worth that? Yes. In my book.

Upvote 0
Seems to me this is what a "neutral" rating would be perfect for. A notation of "Wanted to raise price after cutting deal. I declined purchase".

Upvote 0
Moderator Hat On: By the letter and spirit of the rule ("Once you commit to a deal you should do your best to follow through.") he is deserving a negative. However, there is absolutely no obligation to do so though. And he might respond in kind, even if he's in the wrong. Also, as pointed out, there is the "Neutral" option, if you wish.

Moderator Hat Off: If it were me in this case, I wouldn't waste my time or mental energy on it because it was a small item and only a fin. However, I also would never deal with him again, nor would even bother replying to any further inquiries. His immature actions made it clear he is not a man who follows through on an agreement and is willing to tarnish his name even for an insanely small amount of money. Personally, I am fine with negotiations, haggling, low ball offers, and the rest, but once a deal has been reached (either verbally/handshake or in writing) any attempt to weasel afterwards is unacceptable and the business relationship is over.

I remember once in my youth my father was going to buy real estate from a man. All the discussions were done, the deal was made, hands were shaken, the paperwork was drafted up, and at the last minute the individual selling got a higher offer, and refused to complete the transaction, unless my father would pay more. He was incensed and refused. Later, I remember him telling me something like "Learn from this person's mistake. His word has no value and he has no honor."

Upvote 0
Moderator Hat On: By the letter and spirit of the rule ("Once you commit to a deal you should do your best to follow through.") he is deserving a negative. However, there is absolutely no obligation to do so though. And he might respond in kind, even if he's in the wrong. And as pointed out, there is the "Neutral" option, if you wish.

Moderator Hat Off: If it were me in this case, I wouldn't waste my time or mental energy on it because it was a small item and only a fin. However, I also would never deal with him again, nor would even both replying to any further inquiries. His immature actions made it clear he is not a man who follows through on an agreement and is willing to tarnish his name even for an insanely small amount of money. Personally, I am fine with negotiations, haggling, low ball offers, and the rest, but once a deal has been reached (either verbally/handshake or in writing) any attempt to weasel afterwards is unacceptable and the business relationship is over.

I remember once in my youth my father was going to buy real estate from a man. All the discussions were done, the deal was made, hands were shaken, the paperwork was drafted up, and at the last minute the individual selling got a higher offer, and refused to complete the transaction, unless my father would pay more. He was incensed and refused. Later, I remember him telling me something like "Learn from this person's mistake. His word has no value and he has no honor."
I was upset once when I was young about a friend basically screwing me out of $20, and my grandmother told me it was a cheap price to pay to find out who he really was. I have carried that with me for over 30 years, and it has served me well. I thought of it when this situation happened.

Upvote 0

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads