JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Normally I just put a little on the expander ball once in a while.
This, with a Q-tip.
Had the same problem. Switched to Coconut Oil mixed with 90% IPA in a 2:3 ratio. Spread a tablespoon onto a felt pad, will roll a dozen cases at a time on it with my palm. Very pleased with the results.

Pad lubing sucks, if you want to speed things up use a spray lube, dillon or hornady one shot.
Other spray lubes didn't work well for me, so never tried either one-shot type.

I have Redding, Lee, RCBS, Hornady, Dillon and Pacific. (haven't used the Dillon or Pacific yet)
The only dies that have ever given me any trouble were the Hornady New Dimension in 7mm-08. I probably should have sent them back, but I trimmed a little off and they work fine... The 375 Ruger New Dimension worked perfectly, though. They also have that neat little slider for the bullet seater that helps control the bullet as you seat it.
RCBS dies are what I've used for my -06 and -06AI (30-06 Improved 40) and are likely the brand I would look for first if buying bottle neck dies.
The only problems I have encountered were due to my misuse of certain lubes.
I've used the spray on, water soluble lubes for a handful of years now and really like them. Well, now I really like 'em. Don't rush the part of the process where you're supposed to wait a few minutes after lubing the cases before you run them thru the die... At least RCBS made a neat little case extractor, too.
If I was to buy a new set of handgun dies, I would instantly look for a set of Lee carbide dies. Every handgun round I have loaded, with the exception of 45 ACP (Redding dies), have been with Lee dies. Many 38, 357, 41 Mag & 500 S&W rounds have been loaded with my Lee dies without any issues. The Redding dies have been flawless, too, but I see absolutely no gain in quality, not to mention they lack the shell holder, for the increase in price. Mine were a gift from Mom and Dad. That part's special.:)

I have Redding, Lee, RCBS, Hornady, Dillon and Pacific. (haven't used the Dillon or Pacific yet)
The only dies that have ever given me any trouble were the Hornady New Dimension in 7mm-08. I probably should have sent them back, but I trimmed a little off and they work fine... The 375 Ruger New Dimension worked perfectly, though. They also have that neat little slider for the bullet seater that helps control the bullet as you seat it.
RCBS dies are what I've used for my -06 and -06AI (30-06 Improved 40) and are likely the brand I would look for first if buying bottle neck dies.
The only problems I have encountered were due to my misuse of certain lubes.
I've used the spray on, water soluble lubes for a handful of years now and really like them. Well, now I really like 'em. Don't rush the part of the process where you're supposed to wait a few minutes after lubing the cases before you run them thru the die... At least RCBS made a neat little case extractor, too.
If I was to buy a new set of handgun dies, I would instantly look for a set of Lee carbide dies. Every handgun round I have loaded, with the exception of 45 ACP (Redding dies), have been with Lee dies. Many 38, 357, 41 Mag & 500 S&W rounds have been loaded with my Lee dies without any issues. The Redding dies have been flawless, too, but I see absolutely no gain in quality, not to mention they lack the shell holder, for the increase in price. Mine were a gift from Mom and Dad. That part's special.:)

The slider for seating the bullet was something I'd forgot. Not that it is a big deal in hand gun, but I can imagine seating the bullet in a long, rifle cartridge, it would be a great help.

For rifle I use the Lee universal decapping die, Redding body die to full-length size and bump the shoulders, Lee collet neck sizing die, and a Forstner micrometer seating die.

Reasons:

I decap then wet tumble with SS pins, a squirt of Dawn, and a smidge of Lemishine, this cleans the brass, including the pockets very nicely, so nicely I no longer need to use a rotary tool to prep the pockets. Then off to the Frankford Arsenal dryer.

The Redding body die lets me bump the shoulders 0.001 or 0.002 for bolt-action use, causing the minimum amount of work on the brass.

The Lee collet neck sizing die may not be everyone's cup of tea but it's a real solid design and again, it works the brass less than pulling an expander ball through the neck. Besides, they are cheap.

The Forster micrometer seating die is a sure way to dial in consistent seating depth, I just wish they were cheaper. It's a drawn out process but I think it's worth it for the kind of shooting I do. Decide on a seating depth using a bullet comparator and caliper, back of the micrometer and seat a bullet, measure. Dial the difference on the micrometer and complete the seating operation. Want to try a few rounds closer to the lands? Just add the difference with the micrometer and have at it.

With a Forstner Co-Ax press changing all these dies is a breeze.

Oh, I hand prime with a Frankford Arsenal tool, that's one thing the Co-Ax is real slow at, plus it requires handling the primers one by one, the FA tool is fast and seats each primer to a consistent depth. Plus it helps me develop my handgun Grip of Steel :)

Sprays sound convenient but I'm with @DirectDrive 's first bet, A thin film of Imperial from my hot hands is my long time ritual but will admit to a little Imperial dry neck lube when the going gets real tough making your brass something other than is stamped on the head. Normally I just put a little on the expander ball once in a while.
Rolling pads may speed things up some but I always ended up with excess and for me a mess so went back to individual attention as needed and stuck there.

I bet you have really soft hands. LOL

My first choice for rifle dies would be RCBS, for value, quality, consistency and unparalleled support. If you want to spend more, I would go Redding. They are very nice, but not sure they are that much better than RCBS for the increase in price.
I would go Lee or Lyman, ahead of Hornady, if you are bargain hunting. Hornady does have a nice seating die, but I have had problems with their sizing died deeply scratching the case necks and I find their customer support severely lacking compared to RCBS. I do use the Hornady Unique case lube and it is excellent. YMMV.

The slider for seating the bullet was something I'd forgot. Not that it is a big deal in hand gun, but I can imagine seating the bullet in a long, rifle cartridge, it would be a great help.
The slider is very useful, until your neck thickness exceeds maximum, then you crush the case. Upside of that -- it wouldn't have chambered anyway..... Another upside: very quick checking tool to see if your necks are out of spec before you try to load a bullet. I now check mine for the two calibers I load with Hornady, and I have a Forster Neck Turning tool to shave them.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top