JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Buses sent to pick up stranded motorists - CNN.com

Headline - Children stuck on busses over night.

story
About 50 Atlanta school children were still stuck on buses early Wednesday morning.

The students had gotten on buses to get home shortly after noon Tuesday, but treacherous road conditions coupled with gridlocked traffic has made it impossible.

Kimberly Willis Green, spokeswoman for Atlanta Public Schools, said she did not have an estimate on the number of children stuck in Atlanta schools overnight.

1 sentence paragraphs - so they are only sorta related - but ...
Wouldn't the children freeze - GA busses are not like the busses in MN - would they have heaters to last 18 hours?
Then there is the whole I gotta pee question...
and where the older children feasting on the younger ones? A teen can barely make it thru a movie without eating.

I don't normally read the MSM, but when I do it is not CNN.

Buses sent to pick up stranded motorists - CNN.comWouldn't the children freeze - GA busses are not like the busses in MN - would they have heaters to last 18 hours?
Then there is the whole I gotta pee question...
and where the older children feasting on the younger ones? A teen can barely make it thru a movie without eating.

This story is so poorly written; totally disorganized and the secondary headlines are totally unrelated to the paragraphs than follow. I did find this, which was reassuring:
Governor: Teachers will take care of kids

The severe weather has forced 4,500 students to spend the night in various school buildings in Hoover, Alabama. And there were 800 students stuck in schools in Birmingham, Alabama, officials said.

"Staff is staying with them, feeding them," Birmingham City Schools Superintendent Craig Witherspoon said. "High schools are showing movies."

Bentley urged parents who are unable to reach their children to remain calm.

"I know the anxiety there," he said. "I want to reassure all the parents that if you trust your teacher to take care of your child during the day, they will be taken care of tonight."

At the Alabama Waldorf School, about 20 students were spending the night at a nearby home late Tuesday after state officials urged parents not to drive in the snow.
If my kid was on a bus overnight in freezing temperatures I would probably walk to the bus if I had to.

School busses would normally never leave the barn without a full fuel tank. Almost all school busses are diesel Almost all busses have main and back up heaters (unless the bus is a converted van type vehicle) running at an Idle a bus could easily make 12+ hours on a tank of fuel. My dump truck (which uses way more fuel per mile/hour then a school bus) will travel approx. 450 miles with a full load 32 tons over a 12 hour period of time on 90-95 gallons of fuel. A typical 78-84 Pass school bus will get between 7 and 8 MPG on route and slightly higher on a long trip. My dump truck gets about 4.7 to 4.9 mpg loaded on long trips.

So the average bus has about a 60 gallon tank and at an idle I'm sure that would last at least 12 hours if not closer to 18. And running at an Idle especially if the radiator was covered would keep the heaters going to keep the bus interior above 40 degrees. Not to mention the heat coming from all the kids on the bus.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top