Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

a little help with interpritation of CNN

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RicInOR, Jan 29, 2014.

1. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Buses sent to pick up stranded motorists - CNN.com

Headline - Children stuck on busses over night.

story

1 sentence paragraphs - so they are only sorta related - but ...
    Wouldn't the children freeze - GA busses are not like the busses in MN - would they have heaters to last 18 hours?
    Then there is the whole I gotta pee question...
    and where the older children feasting on the younger ones? A teen can barely make it thru a movie without eating.

I don't normally read the MSM, but when I do it is not CNN.

2. evltwn

evltwn Gold Hill Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Fox News reported National Guard delivering food, water and gas to stranded motorists...hopefully that included school buses.

3. Audrey

Audrey Willamette Valley Active Member

This story is so poorly written; totally disorganized and the secondary headlines are totally unrelated to the paragraphs than follow. I did find this, which was reassuring:
    If my kid was on a bus overnight in freezing temperatures I would probably walk to the bus if I had to.

4. rufus

rufus State of Jefferson Well-Known Member

5. Audrey

Audrey Willamette Valley Active Member

6. rufus

rufus State of Jefferson Well-Known Member

7. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

rufus and (deleted member) like this.
  8. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

just another reason to prep
    remember what happened in Seattle and Portland a few winters back

9. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

School busses would normally never leave the barn without a full fuel tank. Almost all school busses are diesel Almost all busses have main and back up heaters (unless the bus is a converted van type vehicle) running at an Idle a bus could easily make 12+ hours on a tank of fuel. My dump truck (which uses way more fuel per mile/hour then a school bus) will travel approx. 450 miles with a full load 32 tons over a 12 hour period of time on 90-95 gallons of fuel. A typical 78-84 Pass school bus will get between 7 and 8 MPG on route and slightly higher on a long trip. My dump truck gets about 4.7 to 4.9 mpg loaded on long trips.

So the average bus has about a 60 gallon tank and at an idle I'm sure that would last at least 12 hours if not closer to 18. And running at an Idle especially if the radiator was covered would keep the heaters going to keep the bus interior above 40 degrees. Not to mention the heat coming from all the kids on the bus.