JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello Smarter People Than Me,
I have a black powder rifle passed down from my father. It's a swivel barrel model and the following pic is what's stamped on the barrel and pretty much all I could find on it. Unfortunately I don't have any other pictures and it's in my safe at home while I am working remotely for the next couple months. I posted a google pic of a very similar (possibly same) rifle also. Just wondering if anyone has any information on M.L.Rood, when this firearm may have been manufactured and what value I should insure it at.... Thanks!

IMG_6396.JPG

1591068983719.png

Not much help, but here is the description of a Rood rifle Rock Island auctioned. It has some information on the maker.

"Marked "M.L. ROOD / MARSHALL, MICH. / WARRANTED / 1857" on top of each barrel. Morgan L. Rood was born in Monroe Co., N.Y. in 1816. He learned his trade in that area, possibly from William Billinghurst, whose work his resembles. Rood's earliest known gun was a revolving rifle, much like the ones made by Billinghurst and others in the Rochester area. He was working in Penfield, Monroe Co., in the 1840 census. We do not know when he moved to Marshall. He does not appear in Marshall in any census although there was another Morgan L. Rood living there! He patented the revolving rifle mentioned above in 1853, while he was in Marshall. He moved to Denver with the Colorado gold rush around 1860. He was not a prolific maker and few of his guns are known. In his later years in Denver he was listed in the directories and census as a merchant rather than a gunsmith or gun maker. This rifle is typical of the swivel breech guns made around Rochester. The button in the upper tang is pressed down to release the barrels for turning. Only one ramrod was installed. The rear ramrod pipe is missing and the tip of the ramrod has been replaced with a cartridge case. Fixed sights on both barrels. The front sight blade on one is missing. "

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top