JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If you have a The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson and have the time can you tell me what the DOB is for my 629? See Picture. Thanks in advance!

IMG-0639.JPG

The changes mentioned for the 629-2s are the so-called "Endurance package". This was an upgrade to make the 629 better able to stand heavy use with full mag loads and/or heavier bullets. The 629s shifted to MIM metal parts and a major redesign that took firing pin off hammer as of 629-5, a serious down-grade. And the widely detested lock was added as of 629-6s. I consider the -2s, -3s, and -4s the best 629s that SW ever made.

The changes mentioned for the 629-2s are the so-called "Endurance package". This was an upgrade to make the 629 better able to stand heavy use with full mag loads and/or heavier bullets. The 629s shifted to MIM metal parts and a major redesign that took firing pin off hammer as of 629-5, a serious down-grade. And the widely detested lock was added as of 629-6s. I consider the -2s, -3s, and -4s the best 629s that SW ever made.

The 629-2E ("Endurance package") did not occur until 1989, the OP's gun is 1988. I agree, the -2s, -3s, and -4s are the best 629s that SW ever made. I have zero use for MIM parts or key locks on any of my S&W's and will never own any of them.

Isn't the Endurance Package also denoted by the raised "fence" just behind and below the cylinder as shown in the second pic?
1619187316547.png
1619187239366.png
For some reason I remember this when the company addressed the "doubling" that sometimes happened.

Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Isn't the Endurance Package also denoted by the raised "fence" just behind and below the cylinder as shown in the second pic?
View attachment 868413
View attachment 868411
For some reason I remember this when the company addressed the "doubling" that sometimes happened.

Correct me if I'm wrong, please.
Photos not clear/big enough in my screen; can't tell what you are talking about about "fence".

Have looked around on internet. A good bit of confusion and contradiction. However I think I had part of story wrong. Apparently the early 629-2 did NOT have endurance package, and 629-2E represents a transition stage that added some of the endurance enhancing features. The full endurance package starts as of 629-3.

Apparently the big problem for SW .44 mag revolvers came with the popularity of Silhouette shooting in the 80s along with introduction and increasing use of 300gr and heavier bullets. Silhouette shooters would shoot hundreds of rounds of full power loads with heavy bullets in a single practice session. These caused wear on forcing cones and barrel threads, various screws and other parts to shear, and in some cases cylinders to turn backwards. One of the upgrades was longer cylinder stop grooves and other upgrades in parts controlling cylinder. Some other changes involved hardening relevant metal parts and different screws various places.

So OPs 629-2 apparently does not have Endurance package. However, unless gun was shot much more with heavier loads than most people did, or he wants to do that, the gun should work fine for him.

Apparently the early 629-2 did NOT have endurance package, and 629-2E represents a transition stage that added some of the endurance enhancing features. The full endurance package starts as of 629-3.

That is correct.

One of the upgrades was longer cylinder stop grooves and other upgrades in parts controlling cylinder.

This is how I quickly ID the difference.

And still, nobody has answered your question except in a very general sense.

S&W doesn't record production dates, just "shipped on" dates - which are usually pretty close, although in years gone past, sometimes an item would sit in inventory for a long time before it shipped.

The Special Order number on your label is a Julian date code for when your gun shipped. Your code is 0353 - that would be the 353rd day of the year 1990 - or Monday, December 18, 1990. That's as close as I can get it.

Enjoy your Smith.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Last Edited:
And still, nobody has answered your question except in a very general sense.

S&W doesn't record production dates, just "shipped on" dates - which are usually pretty close, although in years gone past, sometimes an item would sit in inventory for a long time before it shipped.

The Special Order number on your label is a Julian date code for when your gun shipped. Your code is 0353 - that would be the 353rd day of the year 2000 - or Monday, December 18, 2000. That's as close as I can get it.

Enjoy your Smith.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
Pizza Bob,
If I understand you correctly this firearm was in inventory since 1988? How typical is that?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top