Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

A Little Armor Action

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ZigZagZeke, May 11, 2013.

1. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

Here's Team USA in France for the Battle of the Nations championships. For those of you unfamiliar with BotN, it's where the best ancient european martial arts people from around the world gather in real armor to beat on each other with real swords, axes, and such until somebody falls down or surrenders. The USA is well represented by some of my old friends.

teamusa1.jpg

That's 12 ga steel in that helmet. It probably produced a few stars and rang the wearer's bell when this dent was made.

helm2.jpg
    helm3.jpg

This is a very old sport, but it's not for old geezers or pansies. Here's an "assault weapon" from about 1500 AD. Think you could handle it?

assaultweapon.jpg

2. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

How does this differ from SCA? I assume the swords/etc. are all blunt.

3. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

I do re-enactment as a 1297 era Black Knight or Culloden era Highland clansman.. real combat is impossible, only mock combat with dull blades, etc.. because I can kill you fast with the real thing. I carry the real thing, SCA has strict guidelines and mock weapons and tactics, not at all like the real thing. My den looks like a medieval arsenal

4. ZigZagZeke

Thrusting is not allowed, and the edges are dulled. Otherwise these weapons are the real thing. SCA, as I understand it, has mostly wooden swords, etc. Here's a demo match between one of my buddies (in black) and an SCA guy (in red). The SCA guy was talking trash and thought using real steel would be simple. He knows better now: http://www.zzzeke.com/AEMMA.AVI

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  5. Blitzkrieg

SCA uses "wasters" (wood) or aluminum, and they do not fight the way real warriors did, they usually aim at each others shields, not ankles, necks, arms, face, etc

6. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Oh yeah... I could handle that jusssssssssst fine. ;)

clearconscience likes this.
  7. ZigZagZeke

And they don't make dents in helmets like you see above. That dent was probably made by a war hammer. BotN uses swords, hammers, axes, and poleaxes.

Here are some BotN weapons:

3onehander1a.jpg
    jayset1a.jpg
    flangedmace1a.jpg

http://imakeswords.com/battleofthenations.htm

8. speeddemon94

speeddemon94 The Rogue Well-Known Member

Okay, I beg to differ on the SCA thing. I fought heavy for 15 years, MANY helmets were dented, that rattan is awfully hard stuff. I, and everyone I know, never aimed for a shield. The object was to hit your opponents, and we here in the PNW are known, worldwide, for being the hardest hitting. Most other groups don't particularly like playing with us.

I did a little live steel, and also rapier stuff. Not knocking any group though. It's all a blast.

9. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

I used to go to a few events oh.. about 20 years ago and I remember one guy that people hated fighting cause he hit so hard he would pop the rivets out of the helmets.

10. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

Seeing that helmet, reminds me of something I read about William Marshall placing his head on an anvil so they could beat his helmet off:

Also worth watching: The Greatest Knight - Timewatch - ©BBC - YouTube

ZigZagZeke and (deleted member) like this.
  11. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

So how does the armor hold up to 7.62 nato rounds?

hehehe

I'd love to watch it but don't think I'll be playing in that theater.

12. Blitzkrieg

Not saying it's not a rough sport but SCA is not true combat...it can't be without potentially mortal injuries. Those wasters/weapons look right to me for SCA

13. ZigZagZeke

The ones I posted pictures of are NOT weapons used by SCA. At Tournament Productions (a period re-enactment guild) we did re-enactment for Renaissance Faires. Our weapons were the same as these except they had points. We also did real jousting. The potential for serious injury was always there. We never choreographed anything (as many re-enacters do). Our matches were fought in the true spirit of Elizabethan era tournaments. It's like boxing. The loser either goes down, surrenders, or loses his weapon and is defenseless. We've had broken fingers and concussions, but due to excellent training and expert craftsmanship of armor and weapons, we never had anything more serious than a broken arm among our fighters. We were paid to put on our exhibitions because we specialized in reality, not fakery.

14. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking, until I realized he meant the sword...

15. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Nothing hits quite like the An Tir freight train. Been stick-jock fighting for a long time now and, unfortunately, my time may be at an end.

16. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

Been to Egils twice and to another that was held at Silvercreek falls. I remember this as there was a civil war battle there the same weekend and it was so lovely to be awoken by cannon fire after a night of much drinking and carousing. I never got into the fighting though but it was fun to watch between bouts of more drinking.

17. Blitzkrieg

Reality is with any of those weapons, even the dull ones and no rules I can easily kill a man. In fact all I need is my bare hands against most opponents. In seconds I can break your bones at minimum. Piece of cake

I teach JKD which includes Kali/Arnis/Escrima.. the base of these arts (unknown to most) is the ancient Indian art of Kali, the Thugee assassins art

18. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

Your posts all seem to share a theme that made me think of something Ive learned during my years on this planet. That is as a general rule of thumb (that is amazingly precise) a dangerous man does not constantly proclaim to the world how dangerous he really is. He simply carries on with his business with quiet confidence. The ones who blow the hardest generally have serious self confidence issues and are usually the first ones to bleed (or run away).

But I do not know you, so perhaps you are the exceedingly rare blowhard/dangerous man.

19. Blitzkrieg

You must think I'm some kid. I'm 52, try to be a nice guy and actually am trying to teach and help, not brag at all, although online it may seem that way. It might save a life one day. Come and train with me (free) and I'll show you what I mean

20. Squidly

Squidly Sandy Active Member

It's ok. I don't care if you are a blow hard, Blitz. I know many blow hards. They're still good people.