JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I get downright angry when I hear people bragging about extreme-range shots taken offhand at game animals.

I believe in ethical hunting. I'm not going to even try to sit here and arbitrarily decide at what exact range a given shot stops being ethical...but I know that a 300 yard offhand shot is simply beyond the abilities of most if not all hunters to make in an ethical manner on a deer-sized game. I'm not saying its impossible, I'm just saying that the odds of wounding the animal and failing to recover it become too great.

Seriously I did once shoot a bird dead center as it sat in a large oak tree (I had a winchester semi auto .22LR and scope) at 250 yards, standing offhand. That was an amazing little rifle. I fired one shot on a bet from another lad that was with me that I could not make the shot. I was 17

Revolvers are the deadliest shooters. That's why they were banned from war, it's just not ethical.

Here is a historical account from the Mexican war:

"Another important factor, said Captain Ephraim Daggett, was the holy awe and superstition entertained by the untutored Mexican in regard to the 'revolver.' They understood the term to mean a turning around and about--a circulator; and were led to believe the ball would revolve in all directions after its victims, run around trees and turn corners, go into houses and climb stairs, and hunt up folks generally."

Page 87 <broken link removed>

I shoot a Bohica .50 BMG and the best I can expect is 5-7" at 1,000 yards ... from a rest with a 40x - 55 MM scope and using 647 Gr API rounds .... We can cover the hits with a thumb at 100 yards though .... LOL

I can't claim any stupendous shots but my dad could if he were still alive. He used to poach pheasants with a Springfield 30-.06. He's lay on the roof with the rifle supported by the peak. Using iron sights, he'd aim for the head at about 150 yards. sometimes he'd miss completely and other times he'd hit the body, leaving little else besides feathers and guts for me to pickup.

One time though I ran out to pick up dinner and found the rooster laying dead in the grass with one eyeball hanging out. We figured the bullet passed so close to the head the shock wave killed it and tore out the eyeball. He bragged about that shot for a lot of years.

One time though, (I was in the navy so I probably should start this with "This ain't no sh!t man!) Anyway, I was living in the bush in Alaska and cutting firewood for the winter. Since all the bears were hibernating, I only carried a 10-22 for small game and I left it leaning against a tree. After awhile I noticed a yearling moose staring at me from about 60 yards - too far for a reliable shot. I put my ax down and picked up the .22 and me and that moose started a long dance. I'd walk a few feet and he'd move away a few feet. That wasn't getting me any meat so I changed my direction enough so that in forty or so feet of walking I'd only get three or four feet closer to him. He was still wary but I wasn't doing anything except walking so he'd walk along with me.

After awhile I managed to get him to walk in a big circle leading back to my snow machine and sled. By the time we got there the distance between us had closed to about 30-40 feet. I laid down on the hard-packed snow and put a single CCI Minimag into his right eye. He went down on his knees and I ran up and put a second shot into the back of his head.

I know, everybody is going to complain that I was poaching. Well, it was about a hundred and ten miles to the nearest Safeway and they didn't deliver so I lived off what I could harvest. I can tell you this, none of that meat was wasted nor was any of it "shot up" so badly it couldn't be used.

I get downright angry when I hear people bragging about extreme-range shots taken offhand at game animals.

I believe in ethical hunting. I'm not going to even try to sit here and arbitrarily decide at what exact range a given shot stops being ethical...but I know that a 300 yard offhand shot is simply beyond the abilities of most if not all hunters to make in an ethical manner on a deer-sized game. I'm not saying its impossible, I'm just saying that the odds of wounding the animal and failing to recover it become too great.

+1 I also find it hard to believe people have such a disrespect for what hunting should be, blasting away from a truck window is not hunting and we have seen the ignorance first hand here in Skagit valley, caught on video a group of so called hunters shooting arrows into a herd of Elk from 100 yards away. :gun03: Idiots and caught on the news.
My best shot was a target at 20 feet with a 12 gauge 37 bb's hit dead center.

+1 I also find it hard to believe people have such a disrespect for what hunting should be, blasting away from a truck window is not hunting and we have seen the ignorance first hand here in Skagit valley, caught on video a group of so called hunters shooting arrows into a herd of Elk from 100 yards away. :gun03: Idiots and caught on the news.
My best shot was a target at 20 feet with a 12 gauge 37 bb's hit dead center.

Some of the shots I am most proud of, as a hunter, are the ones I passed on. It takes a lot of self-control to pass on a shot, but I remind myself that I am out there because I love nature. If given the choice between taking a shot that will most likely cause undo suffering before death, or taking the chance of trying to manuever for a better shot any true hunter will take the latter. I won't hunt with anyone who chooses the first option.

Some of the shots I am most proud of, as a hunter, are the ones I passed on. It takes a lot of self-control to pass on a shot, but I remind myself that I am out there because I love nature. If given the choice between taking a shot that will most likely cause undo suffering before death, or taking the chance of trying to manuever for a better shot any true hunter will take the latter. I won't hunt with anyone who chooses the first option.

:s0155:

I used to hunt ducks up on some land by the Squaw Creek Wildlife Refuge up north of St Joseph, MO. Our land butted right up next to the refuge and we got some incredible duck and goose hunting there.

There was a group that had land next to us that we called "The Topeka Sky Busters Club". They were goose hunters all with 10 ga. magnums that would repeatedly take shots at geese that were 80-100 yards away. I can't count the number of times I saw a wounded goose fly back into the refuge to die there. One day when they were doing that was a nice day and the ducks weren't flying so we decided to have some fun with them. We got right up next to their land and whenever they would shoot at a goose and either miss or wound it we would start applauding and yelling "Bravo, Great Shot, What Sportsmen". Funny, they got so peesed off they left. :D

Had a guy tell me he was shooting sage rats with a .270. He said after pulling the trigger he was counting "one one-thousand, two one-thousand, three one-thousand" before the rat would explode. So, just doing the math in my head, that would be between an 8-9 thousand foot shot, which he was hitting repeatedly. Anyone else on this site able to hit a rat at roughly a mile and a half?

I wonder if anyone could even see the rat at that distance. Some peoples kids:s0114:

AS a kid one time, i shot at the moon at night, but just to the right of it by 1.33454288 degrees, so it would capture the moons gravitational pull as it passed the moon, it then swung around the back side,of the moon and back towards me, hitting the beer can i was holding, dead center, knocking it out of my hand.:s0114:

"AS a kid one time, i shot at the moon at night, but just to the right of it by 1.33454288 degrees, so it would capture the moons gravitational pull as it passed the moon, it then swung around the back side,of the moon and back towards me, hitting the beer can i was holding, dead center, knocking it out of my hand."

Showoff! I coulda done that too but beer cans here are worth a nickle.

AS a kid one time, i shot at the moon at night, but just to the right of it by 1.33454288 degrees, so it would capture the moons gravitational pull as it passed the moon, it then swung around the back side,of the moon and back towards me, hitting the beer can i was holding, dead center, knocking it out of my hand.:s0114:

Who bought the beer for you? Cmon, fess up!

put all the chatter to bed....

got some buddies that brag themselves up? Wonder how your skills stack up?

Cut out 10 oval pieces of brown cardboard, 11"x18". Someone who's not shooting should place them on wooden stakes at random distances between 100 and 600 yards. Shooters cannot observe the range until it's their turn to fire. Keep time, and keep score. Each hit is worth a point, misses score 0. In the event of a tie, shorter time wins.

many years ago. On the rifle range next to me were two asian looking youngsters shooting an AK at a beer/pop can some yards out. They went through several 30 rd mags and the can was still standing. So I took my 4" barrel Mod 66 and took the can down for them with one shot. They looked over at me with my 66 in hand, very shortly thereafter they packed up and left. Hated to see them waste all that ammo on one can. Just trying to be helpful!! :s0114: :s0114: :s0114:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top