Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

A legend in his own mind.

Discussion in 'Competitive Shooting' started by Weathermaker, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Weathermaker

Weathermaker Washington Member

I was looking on Cheaper Than Dirt website and came across some ".308 Match Lake City Military NATO M118 175 Grain Ammo." It was sold out, but had some user reviews posted. Here's one of the posts.

"I shoot a Savage 110 FP Tactical in 308, with a Leupold 4.5-14x50mm Vari-x III Tactical scope, and at 1000yds put 4 holes in a target that you can put your thumb over. Very good ammo, very impressed."

This guy is only impressed with his own bullbubblegum. If I remember correctly, the world record right now is something close to 1.5 inches group at 1000 yards. That would be one **** of a big thumb.

2. odiesplace97301

odiesplace97301 silverton area Member

I love those guys. Had a dude tell me of his elk he killed at a 1000 yards with one shot. The claim was a standing shot with a browning abolt lt wt in 270

3. IrishFitz

IrishFitz Happy Valley, OR Member

Funny claim... and not to give him any credit or anything, but he could have meant 100 yards.

Just a thought...

4. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

Maybe he has 4 thumbs... :laugh:

5. rdb241

rdb241 Puyallup Washington Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

I have shot 1,000 yard matches at Ft. Lewis on range KD-22. I am sorry, but to get 4 rounds in a 1/2 to a 3/4 inch group, is just about impossible. I have a win model 70 in .308 with a 26 inch heavy barrel. I hunt wheat fields in eastern Wa. and have my rifle zeroed at 200 yards. So far the best that I can do is a 4 inch group. Not all that impressive but it is definatly a kill shot. :thumbup:

6. MarkSBG

You are WRONG RDB!

That IS impressive! That's some good shootin'!:thumbup:

7. bwells

bwells Longview Member

Some guys are funny. I had a buddy of mine tell me that he shot a running deer at 500 yards offhand with his savage 99 in 300 savage with open sights, and dropped it.

8. MarkSBG

He dropped the rifle maybe. The deer ran safely away. :laugh:

9. orduckhunter

orduckhunter Springfield, OR Member

that's what I thought when I first read his post!

10. Iansstud

Iansstud SW WA / PDX Member

I bet he made one shot, missed the other 3, and thought they were the same hole!!!

11. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

Doing it once is a fluke. Doing it when you need to is a different cup'o tea. My .270 shot one ragged hole @ 200 yds,... ONCE!

12. sidro

sidro southeast New Member

Some of them boys up in the Northwest can shoot, if you don't believe it, ask 'em. JK. Just joined and browsing around. Saw a pistol for sale and decided to join, thanks for having me. Got a brother in law in Payllyop (sp) and I been threating to make a trip up there.
    Anyway, hello from MS.

13. rdb241

rdb241 Puyallup Washington Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

The spelling is Puyallup............................an Indian tribal name.

14. SSG

SSG Lane County New Member

The 1000 yd record used to be 3 1/2" group by Skip Holms I believe.....

15. Oldfart

Oldfart Portland Member

I got to goofing around once and decided to put a target rifle together from some odd parts. I then took it out to sight it in and proceeded to shoot a 3-shot group of 0.14" at 100 yards. That was the worst thing that could have happened. Do you have any idea how much time and money I've thrown downrange trying to duplicate that? Fortunately, I've shot the barrel out and there's no chance It'll happen again.

16. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

:laugh: I know the feeling. The first time I fished the Salmon Fly hatch on the Deschutes I caught trout as fast as I could land them, release them, and get my fly back in the water. Never happened again. It ruined me.

17. matt_w

matt_w Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Maybe he shot 50 rounds and looked at the 4 that were the most close to eachother?

18. wakejoe

wakejoe Beaverton, OR Well-Known Member

Good call!

19. glockfan

glockfan North of Cottage Grove Member

I work with a guy who killed a coyote at 400 yards -- with a .22. I just nod my head.

20. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Had a guy tell me he was shooting sage rats with a .270. He said after pulling the trigger he was counting "one one-thousand, two one-thousand, three one-thousand" before the rat would explode. So, just doing the math in my head, that would be between an 8-9 thousand foot shot, which he was hitting repeatedly. Anyone else on this site able to hit a rat at roughly a mile and a half?