JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just want to praise D4Guns for their excellent customer service. I ordered a large loop leather wrap kit for my Henry lever guns. The product is great and looks really nice on my rifles. During the install of the first wrap, the thread cut one of the holes almost to the edge of the wrap. I contacted the seller via email noted on their webpage today (Sunday) and within a few hours (still on Sunday) I received an acknowledgement verifying the color choice and what my home address was. I provided that information and was immediately notified that replacement item was shipping first class USPS. Please checkout their webpage (they have used guns to look at too) and provide support to those that provide great support to their customers. I ordered the D4 wraps from Amazon (mine was the large loop version):

Henry All Weather 45-70.jpg Henry Big Boy 44 Mag.jpg

Out of curiosity: Do you worry at all about the leather wrap messing with the bluing over time? I was always told, for instance, not to leave handguns stored in leather holsters because the leather would trap moisture from the air and they would be more likely to rust where in contact.

I'm not worried. I keep them well stored and in gun socks. Plus the loops are easy to replace and cheap enough if they do. I do appreciate the change in the look. There is a paracord version too. It mostly helps give cushion to the knuckles while racking the lever, so there is a functional benefit.

Here is some information from question to the manufacturer of the wraps regarding potential problems caused to the metal (hope it helps clear up any concerns):

"I just wanted to share something to note about the leather we use. It is oil tanned leather and we source a specific type that is safe with gun metal (i.e. blued and stainless steel). We have our product installed on personal guns used in all types of climates and never an issue with corrosion. Also, we've sold over 30,000 kits over the years and we've never heard of any issues from customers. The leather is water resistant itself and the oil tanning repels moisture. Regardless, if your gun is soaked to the bone we'd recommend removing, cleaning/oiling the gun and replacing the leather wrap."

Here is some information from question to the manufacturer of the wraps regarding potential problems caused to the metal (hope it helps clear up any concerns):

"I just wanted to share something to note about the leather we use. It is oil tanned leather and we source a specific type that is safe with gun metal (i.e. blued and stainless steel). We have our product installed on personal guns used in all types of climates and never an issue with corrosion. Also, we've sold over 30,000 kits over the years and we've never heard of any issues from customers. The leather is water resistant itself and the oil tanning repels moisture. Regardless, if your gun is soaked to the bone we'd recommend removing, cleaning/oiling the gun and replacing the leather wrap."
That being said, chrome tanned leather is to be avoided.
I have seen quite a few firearms damaged as a result of being stored in chrome tanned leather.
Best,
Gary

Back in the day, a lot of chrome tanned leather was used, and is not a good mix with blued steel.
Vegetable tanned leather, no problem. But, would not be my first choice for long term storage. There are better options.
Best,
Gary

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews