JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My wife and I have have discussed bugging out, and have decided that hunkering down would work better. It is undeniable that the major thoroughfares will be parking lots, and as noted earlier, easy prey for the bad guys. We live in a semi-rural area which would be relatively easy to close off to intrusion by vehicle, and the 2nd floor commands a good view. Given that we are in our 60s and neither one of us could hump a ruck staying put would seem the better course of action.

How many people have considered that if you are "Bugging Out",And happen to be passing by house's with armed people inside.

The fact that you are just passing through wont mean squat if you are armed..
Some people will shoot any strangers that are packing ....

I watched Nutn's Vid a few months ago while I was suspended from this forum for 4 months, Because I mentioned ISIS as a threat. I don't agree w/Nutn on this one, his reasoning is deeply flawed on several levels.
If your gonna bug-out do it before the cities are under Marshall Law, there is nothing wrong with a big rig, especially on the East side. Sure there will be problems but there always are. Pack a trailer and store/park it in a small town storage area east of the I-5 corridor, or on the coast. As long as it suits your needs and you've thought it out carefully go for it. Food, shelter, ammo, fuel. If you live in a rural area bug in but have a fall back plan.

th?id=JN.UA8OG%2fAyLdoaHruq09xtvA&pid=15.1&P=0.jpg here you go! lol

Fuel, fuel, fuel.

My wife and I each have a Toyota Prius. Go ahead and laugh but they are front-wheel drive vehicles with a range of 400+ miles without refueling. I also own a 1996 F-250 4x4 with a trailer hitch which is a great bug-out vehicle except for the fact that it gets 10MPG.

So an interesting thing about the prius... the battery pack is 240V IIRC. So if you take the 5KVA inverter out of a big APC UPS, you now have a perfect sine 220V (two poles at 110V) and are using your prius as a much less noisy household generator. The only thing I'm not sure on this is how much control the prius has over voltage regulation (i.e. if you left the car in "run" mode, and it would automatically start the engine to bring the batteries back up to voltage, and then turn off for a while). Either way, the 5kva is enough to pretty much run your whole house, and air conditioner, however it won't draw more power unless it starts seeing impedance drops on the line. So it's not going to run your battery flat if you're not using it.

Using a hybrid car as a genset is probably not the most efficient use of fuel - even with the battery pack.

The engine and genset you find in a car is probably better quality than what you find until you get up in to the higher end generators.

Generating high voltage DC is much more efficient and easier than generating AC or low voltage DC.

I guess someone will have to do a scientific test. How much fuel goes in, per usable kilowatt hour out? Remember, every time you change the form of energy you lose something; efficiency is never 100 percent.

I recall an add for a GM hybrid pickup a few years ago which included an onboard inverter. But the cost difference between hybrid and standard truck was much more than the cost of a good portable generator. I admit that I do own a couple of small inverters, but they are more convenience items.

Bugout vehicles is a wonderful and endless topic for discussion. Everyone's "bugout" is different, so variations and desired qualities are limitless.

I watched Nutn's Vid a few months ago while I was suspended from this forum for 4 months, Because I mentioned ISIS as a threat. I don't agree w/Nutn on this one, his reasoning is deeply flawed on several levels.
If your gonna bug-out do it before the cities are under Marshall Law, there is nothing wrong with a big rig, especially on the East side. Sure there will be problems but there always are. Pack a trailer and store/park it in a small town storage area east of the I-5 corridor, or on the coast. As long as it suits your needs and you've thought it out carefully go for it. Food, shelter, ammo, fuel. If you live in a rural area bug in but have a fall back plan.

I used to have a 12' row boat on an exceptionally stout trailer, towed by my PU. With the boat and bed of the pair filled with gear we could easily take 4-5 week vacations around the PNW. That's a lot of payload.

Short of radiation threat bugging out wouldn't really gain me much in my current location. In a pinch the Awd explorer with a few extra cans of gas and all the stuff I can pack in it like chainsaw, shovel, pick axe, toy bags, grub, yadda,yadda.

Brutus out

Erudne said: I would be very interested in a vehicle that could carry 2 persons through open country and scattered woods on day trips that was very quiet.

There are quite a few nice side by side ORVs these days. Trouble is, they are expensive. But they're nice. :D

When I was a kid, our brush car was "the Bent Beetle," a 1960 VW that had been rolled, the roof jacked out, but windshield never replaced. You could poke a gun right out where the windshield had been if you saw a grouse in the road. It was great for running around old logging roads and fitting into small spaces.

Speaking of ORVs and quads, some of them are pretty big. If it has a footprint as big as a Jeep, why not have a Jeep?

Good point that the Samurai is aging. But, older is simpler if you are doing your own maintenance. When the Samurai came out, I observed that it was more "Jeep-like" than modern Jeeps. Rancho came out with improved springs that lifted it 1.5" while improving terrain compliance and giving good on-road manners. Depending on the terrain, a Samurai might be just the ticket, with its 79" wheelbase and small size. Never owned one myself, but had a friend who was nuts about them.

Electric Vehicles for Military, Security & Police
Even the armed forces are starting to use military electric vehicles for the logistics fleet which, in addition to the ecological factor, also will induce a decrease in expenditure. An Alkè vehicle already used by the armed forces in barracks is the ATX.
military-electric-vehicles.jpg
Alkè ATX Military electric vehicles for the armed forces
Military vehicles for barracks, army, armed forces

Even the armed forces are starting to use military electric vehicles for the logistics fleet which, in addition to the ecological factor, also will induce a decrease in expenditure, thanks to the substantial reduction of maintenance interventions

An Alkè vehicle already used by the armed forces in barracks is the ATX200E; an entirely electric vehicle. With its maximum speed of 30 Km/h (12 Km/h in reduced mode), it guarantees exploitation of the maximum torque suitable for every work situation; the front Mac Pherson suspension and De-Dion rear axle with bridge, guarantee comfort, perfect road holding on all land types and an otherwise unthinkable load and towing capacity. The ATX200E military electric vehicles can transport a load of 530 kg on its bed with length measuring 1800 mm, maintaining the ability to tow a heavy cargo trailer up to 2000 Kg, thus demonstrating to be a strong and powerful vehicle. The particular technical features of these military electric vehicles for the armed forces are completed by a system that recovers energy from braking, which would otherwise be dissipated as heat. This energy is re-directed to the batteries, allowing a saving in handling that can reach 30%.

electric-vehicle-with-snow-blade-connection_89_66_60.jpg electric-vehicle-with-trailer-for-army_89_66_60.jpg military-electric-vehicles_89_66_60.jpg vehicles-for-armed-forces_89_66_60.jpg
alke-atx-for-military-stations_465_348_60.jpg electric-vehicle-with-snow-blade-connection_465_348_60.jpg electric-vehicle-with-trailer-for-army_465_348_60.jpg military-electric-vehicles_465_348_60.jpg vehicles-for-armed-forces_465_348_60.jpg

Regarding the army and the armed forces in general, the Alke' ATX200E military electric vehicles can be used in the barracks of the various military corps. for the logistics and handling of vehicles, also making use of the cargo trailer equipped with repulsion brake (the inertia braking system). The flexibility of the ATX200E military vehicles could then be exploited to keep the open spaces of the barracks accessible in the event of snowfall, by mounting the front snow plough blade measuring 1500 mm, which can be moved to the right and left with the relevant hydraulic system. The electric salting truck, with a radius of action up to six metres and which can be installed in just a few minutes on the rear of the vehicle could also contribute to completing the safety of the above-mentioned spaces. But the versatility of the ATX200E certainly doesn't stop here, considering that the accessories also include tipping beds, bin lift system for the collection of waste, tarpaulin and rigid covers. A characteristic not to underestimate is the fact of also being able to operate in closed environments such as warehouses and hangars.

For areas with risk of explosion, normally present in barracks and in the areas where the armed forces operate, Alkè makes ATX military electric vehicles available in the ATEX explosion-proof version. They have the same exterior aspect and design of the normal ATX vehicles, while modifications and interventions are made on the main electric plant, to the batteries and relative connectors and all parts that could generate high temperatures or sparks of a non-electrical nature.

Last Edited:
Well if youre looking at a 4x4 small vehicle what about those gardener/farm/commercial small Japanese Kei/Microtrucks? 40-50mpg w gasoline small engines, quarter to half ton cargo capacity and usually cheaper than the UTVs/Atvs... may not be interstate legal or highway speed legal except w those orange signs but good offroad capacity and small enough? Seems quiet too... could also go for the cushman vehicles but those are 2wd arent they?

summer/ winter/ mobility on snow, water, land
4 wheel floating trailer available
weekend hunting and fishing fun until the poop hits the blower
deep pockets required (but you could sell the atv, snowmobile, and boat to pay for it

2104.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top