JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If a person is born of a black father and a white mother, how or why is it this person is identified as 'black' when he or she becomes the subject of racial discrimination accusations?

Why is he or she not identified similarly as white ?

How or why does the 'black' part take precedence ?

Last Edited:
Great question! I am guessing that since Blacks are only 13% of the population they are the exception to the norm so the minority status of a mixed race person is recognized.

https://www.pbs.org/show/finding-your-roots/

This show says that 100% of those who self-identify as African American tested to have some European DNA - 25% or more typically.
Best guess is due to rape ( at least that of position/power rather than violence )

The same question would apply to things like being Hebrew? Native American? Asian? Neandertal?
One Drop?
1/64 = 1.5% ?

Having a friend growing up that was mixed. Let's say they get it from both sides. Not white enough to be white. Not black enough to be black. Only now that I'm older can I see how much he struggled to fit in. I don't know where he is in life, he was a good person and I hope him well.

As for the subject at hand, I think if your physical appearance is black, that's where the classification lies.

Ive also witnessed clear discrimination of a handful of races, by their own race for not being enough of that race. Growing up playing soccer, I had many encounters where a 100% Hispanic person of lighter skin color was discriminated by his/her own race for their lighter skin.

Pretty bonkers stuff.

If I wanted to play victim, I could argue I was discriminated against when I was younger due to my extremely fair skin. Only in my later years do I see it as giving me strength and pride in my paleness. I do understand how frail youth can be and how this type of thing can also go in the opposite direction, depression etc.

I don't think it's going anywhere, or really gotten any worse, it's just being recorded now.

It's called identity politics.

See...Society is divided up into groups and each group is assigned a rating of sorts based on how marginalized that group is. The more marginalized you are, the more you matter and the more your opinion, plight, etc., carries weight.

Thus, the goal becomes to pick the most marginalized group you can claim association to, so your status and power will be higher.

The "white male" group is the absolute lowest ranking on the totem pole (pun intended) so there is no point/benefit for claiming that as your heritage/group.

Being black, however, carries a fair bit of weight. "Black male" is substantially higher than being any form of white. I mean, it's not as high as being a black female...which isn't as high as being a black trans person...which isn't as high as the absolute pinnacle, a black trans female muslim...but it's a whole lot higher than being white.

Hopefully this clarifies things for you. :)

I'll refute that with two examples: Halle Berry and Rashida Jones. :p
Cant forget Lolo

LoloJones.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads