JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I ran across this the other day and it got me thinking.

oymhb9h258891.jpg

That's a 6 day stay for $130. Granted, in 1947 wages were lower.

Median household income was $3000/year. That works out to $250/month. Wait, a six day stay for less than 3 week's wages?

In 2020, median household income was about $65,000/year or $5400/month.

In 2019, the average hospital stay cost about $2150 per day, or 12,900 for 6 days. This would make that hospital visit cost more like 10 weeks wages, which would be a huge increase.

Now, was the above receipt representative of a typical hospital stay in 1947? I have no idea. They probably did a lot fewer tests back then, so maybe.

Has medical care improved since the 1940's? Yes, a lot. We have better equipment and better trained doctors, nurses, technicians and so forth, all of which cost a lot of money. Anecdotally, I had a medical emergency a few years ago. My cardiologist told me that if this had happened 5 years earlier, there is no possible way I'd have made it because the equipment and training used in my surgery didn't exist. The hospital stay was 5 days and cost over a quarter million dollars.

So costs have increased, but lives are being saved. Is the benefit worth it? Probably, but with these huge increases in spending come many, perhaps very tempting, opportunities for graft. I don't see how an aspirin cost more per pill at a hospital than a whole bottle of them does at a store.

I know that there are some new price transparency rules, and I think that's a good start, but what else can be done? I for one think that allowing people to buy insurance across state lines would be a great step, but I haven't even looked into the details.

edit: added sources

Last Edited:
It costs an obscene amount because it can. What are you gonna do about it, not get that tumor removed? That bone set? That sepsis treated? I mean, you can choose not to, but you know the consequences. Now pay up and get back to work, stop asking questions

One thing I'm questioning is the costs incurred to get this daily stay average around $2150. Is that including costs for x-rays, labs, operating room, and drugs? Is that a relative equivalent to the $66 stay?

Yeah I'm not so sure medical care has improved that much.

I knew several people who had cancer back in the early 80's, and they were treated and it never came back. I also have the sad experience of seeing modern cancer patients suffer then die anyway, irregardless of how fancy our medical technology has become.

Most of our medical supplies are not even made in USA. And our hospitals are seriously understaffed. My local hospital went into emergency staffing mode last week. Not because of COVID, but because too many sick people, street people or older people, who have nowhere to be discharged.

Then the short staffing requires mandatory facemasks and lockdowns (when it surges again)for a disease that isn't even all that bad.

Which makes me really worried about that upcoming earthquake we're overdue for.

Yeah I'm not so sure medical care has improved that much.

I knew several people who had cancer back in the early 80's, and they were treated and it never came back. I also have the sad experience of seeing modern cancer patients suffer then die anyway, irregardless of how fancy our medical technology has become.

Most of our medical supplies are not even made in USA. And our hospitals are seriously understaffed. My local hospital went into emergency staffing mode last week. Not because of COVID, but because too many sick people, street people or older people, who have nowhere to be discharged.

Then the short staffing requires mandatory facemasks and lockdowns (when it surges again)for a disease that isn't even all that bad.

Which makes me really worried about that upcoming earthquake we're overdue for.
Well if it's gonna shake hard enough, the San Andreas fault and Cascadia fault are gonna reshape the west coast, and in that event, Yellowstone won't hold back much. I don't think there's gonna be much worry about healthcare costs at that point.

Lol had you ever been to a hospital prior to 2020? Medical personnel have been wearing masks for a long time
Lol?

Tf?

Yes, unfortunately, I was in the hospital a lot. 2019-2020. No one wore masks, except for in the operating room. Then one day, masks everywhere and shortly thereafter my follow up procedures were cancelled due to COVID-19.

Lol?

Lol?

Tf?

Yes, unfortunately, I was in the hospital a lot. 2019-2020. No one wore masks, except for in the operating room. Then one day, masks everywhere and shortly thereafter my follow up procedures were cancelled due to COVID-19.

Lol?
Well that settles it. Your anecdotal experience is the universal baseline.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top