JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I used a question mark in the title because I really don't know how well this will work. I am using an old chainsaw bar to make a 18" blade machete. Others have done it, but I don't know the end result. Here is the beginning....roughed out with plasma cutter. The plasma cutter burns ~ 1/16" in from the cut, so slowly grinding out the plasma cuts rough edges will take out the soft material......at least this is what I'm thinking (and hoping).

Roughed-out.jpg

Shoot blackberries? If this machete doesn't turn out well, I may cut it down further to make a Bowie. Easy to cut down further, hard to make bigger. :) I know this is a weapon forum, but this machete will probably never cut flesh.....purposely anyway.

It's kind of hard to tell exactly how it will turn out, just ground from a bar as-is, not knowing the alloy and what temper it is.
I have seen bent bars, so it isn't exactly a spring temper but is "softer."
So, it might be a little soft for a blade as-is.
You might try cutting off a small piece, heating to non-magnetic, around a cherry red, and quenching it in water.
Then put it in a vise and smack it with a hammer. If it breaks clean, with a fine grain it is probably a medium or high carbon steel, probably on the medium side.
If it just bends over like mild steel does, it doesn't have much carbon in it, and wouldn't harden, and temper down to a "springy" blade.

I did give it the old "spark test" and it shows high carbon. Also used an automatic center punch and that didn't mark it. It did flatten the point of the center punch, however. It is HARD. I'm using a 7", 6000 RPM disc sander with a #36 grit disc to put an edge on it. It is a slow process. The disc(s) cut it, but just barely. I cut off a small piece, sharpened it and tried to nick the edge. Definitely not mild steel or cold rolled steel either. This is a solid bar ~3/16"... not a three piece laminated or riveted bar.

I did give it the old "spark test" and it shows high carbon. Also used an automatic center punch and that didn't mark it. It did flatten the point of the center punch, however. It is HARD. I'm using a 7", 6000 RPM disc sander with a #36 grit disc to put an edge on it. It is a slow process. The disc(s) cut it, but just barely. I cut off a small piece, sharpened it and tried to nick the edge. Definitely not mild steel or cold rolled steel either. This is a solid bar ~3/16"... not a three piece laminated or riveted bar.

Cool.
Sounds like you got a good piece of steel there, I'll bet it makes a great blade.

Cool project!! I have a few bars hanging on a nail waiting for me to get to them for similar aspirations.

Quick question.. With the steel so hard, what are your plans for affixing a handle? Thanks for sharing.

Man.... It seems like a huge risk to spend all that time and effort for something you dont know what steel or alloy it is. I chunk of 1070 big enough to cut a machete would cost you all of about $15. Then you would know proper heat treat protocol and know what to expect.

It might make something it might not, Heat treat is a crap shoot if you dont know what it is.

Personally (and I make my living as a blacksmith) I steer clear of mystery metal if at all possible

My time isn't that important....being 75 and long since retired. I've made knives from Saw Mill band saw blades (50 years ago) and they made fine knives. I suspect this chainsaw bar will also. But before I spend a lot of time in finish work, my plan is to take what I have and put a fair edge on it, then try it out on some likely brush, limbs, etc. If it works well, then I'll finish it. Just a fun project and I already have the steel. Don't like wasting a good piece of steel.

The handle is still in the thought process.

Hmmm :) Surplus machete's are about 5.00 each in some places......... just thinking here...LOL
A garage sale, and maybe $2 or $3
Now if its just for fun you can't put a price on that :)

Last Edited:
Fun is the meaning of life. I need all I can get.

If we didn't need it we could save a bundle just by buying a side of beef instead of hunting that deer or elk.

My time isn't that important....being 75 and long since retired. I've made knives from Saw Mill band saw blades (50 years ago) and they made fine knives. I suspect this chainsaw bar will also. But before I spend a lot of time in finish work, my plan is to take what I have and put a fair edge on it, then try it out on some likely brush, limbs, etc. If it works well, then I'll finish it. Just a fun project and I already have the steel. Don't like wasting a good piece of steel.

The handle is still in the thought process.

That is how Gerber began. Band Saw blades to knives in a little plant in the town of Willamette near West Linn on the Tualatin river :) Still have one of their very first Fillet Knives with Sheath in the box.

At Eugene HS in the mid 50's we were taught how to make knives from band saw blades. I gave my HS project to an uncle and he says it is still going strong.

I have ran a bunch of blades on our fiber laser at our shop. Always seem to hold a great edge even after the heat from the laser. We run a few different types of tool steel and hardox.

At Eugene HS in the mid 50's we were taught how to make knives from band saw blades. I gave my HS project to an uncle and he says it is still going strong.

Waiiiiit a minute there, young man. You went to high school in the 1950s, and gave a shop project to your uncle, who is still alive, and still uses said shop project?

You shouldn't have retired yet---you have got great genes, and should live to be 150 years old!

Best of luck with the saw bar project. I have several that you could have to play with. I will never find a use for them, and Goodwill won't take them. I even have a pretty Stihl orange box if you want it. Coming to Seattle anytime soon? ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top