JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
The victim was an on-duty security guard. Not much of a OC argument to have.

Sad.

IMHO Open Carry makes you a target and negates any advantage you may have had in a situation of a confrontation.

I agree that it creates an opportunity. Also agree that it was a condition of this guy's employment so in that sense it didn't involve a choice. An armed guard by the nature of his job just doesn't have any element of surprise on his side in that respect. The ones I take note of come in two basic versions. The ones that stand firmly planted in the same spot. Some even have their rubber anti-fatigue mat in their "spot." Then there are the ones that move position of observation frequently and at random. Maybe both are under instructions but I'm thinking the one who moves presents less of a target.

Times are different now as we all know. Police officers have tons of training, latest stuff, back-up, blah blah blah. And still they get in trouble with shooting situations. A single armed guard standing in front of a branch of Bank of America is more at risk. The bad guys know he doesn't have what the po-po has going. And if he errs on his side of caution, he may be in trouble legally just like a police officer can get jammed up. But if he errs on the other side of caution, he may wind up like this guy. It's a tough racket.

In some places, youth gangsters will roll someone just to boost a popular jacket. No reason to believe they wouldn't tip over an armed guard to get a weapon.

As for civilian open carry, I've got several reasons that doesn't work for me in the city but almost mandatory in the woods.

The victim was an on-duty security guard. Not much of a OC argument to have.

Sad.

Yeah, WTF? That's just an F-ed up situation all around. There have been a lot of cops ambushed and killed in the last handful of years. This could be some gang BS as much as it was a brutal plan to simply acquire a handgun.

As a normal ol citizen I prefer to not show arms in an urban situation. I don't like the attention it draws.

Just a sitting duck, most don't receive any formal weapon retention training and if they do it's rudimentary at best. Very sad indeed.

This is why I only shop at the food goat.
I tried shopping at Food Goat but I kept butting heads with the staff.

00B47AB6-B845-4813-87B7-567B83212BC9.gif

Last Edited:
I shop at Food Lion all the time and have never seen a armed security guard. This could have happened to an on duty cop too. Open carry is common in North Carolina. I see it all the time and it really never draws attention.

I'm firmly of the opinion that open carry prevents crime from happening in the first place. Its a deterrent to crimes of opportunity for the vast majority of criminals who want to go home at the end of the day.

I shop at Food Lion all the time and have never seen a armed security guard. This could have happened to an on duty cop too. Open carry is common in North Carolina. I see it all the time and it really never draws attention.

I'm firmly of the opinion that open carry prevents crime from happening in the first place. Its a deterrent to crimes of opportunity for the vast majority of criminals who want to go home at the end of the day.
If common then your likely correct, most places aren't like that unfortunately. When I go to certain parts of Idaho it's pretty common there also.

Armed Security Guard...is a bit different than when a private citizen carries...
For the private citizen...time and place will play a large role in whether to open carry or conceal carry.
I have done both...it is best to plan ahead and know your audience , so to speak.

Regardless of whether one carries openly or concealed , it is important to remember that the bad guy will not play by your rules or go by your plan.
As for being targeted first...maybe...
Another maybe is that if you are carrying concealed and have to present your gun...you are now a target...the same as if you have to shoot....Just as if you were carrying openly...Again all maybes.
One can easily Maybe and What If oneself to death here.

My point...?
In a situation like self defense against a armed man...you are already a target , no matter what.
Do not get trapped into thinking that because of "A" action , "B" action will automatically follow.
Andy

Armed Security Guard...is a bit different than when a private citizen carries...
For the private citizen...time and place will play a large role in whether to open carry or conceal carry.
I have done both...it is best to plan ahead and know your audience , so to speak.

Regardless of whether one carries openly or concealed , it is important to remember that the bad guy will not play by your rules or go by your plan.
As for being targeted first...maybe...
Another maybe is that if you are carrying concealed and have to present your gun...you are now a target...the same as if you have to shoot....Just as if you were carrying openly...Again all maybes.
One can easily Maybe and What If oneself to death here.

My point...?
In a situation like self defense against a armed man...you are already a target , no matter what.
Do not get trapped into thinking that because of "A" action , "B" action will automatically follow.
Andy

I agree, maybe. ;)

I spent a month with friends in KCMO when I was 18. Even back then, KC was enough of a turd-orifice that pretty much every store 7-11 size or larger, had armed security. The local grocery stores paid off duty cops (most of the security I saw, were actually off duty cops) to both patrol the floor, and man the front of the stores.

The shopping malls had armed security (not cops, but mall security) patrolling on foot and in vehicles. They worked in pairs. It was a little bit of a culture shock, as you don't see that here in the PNW. Honestly I *felt* safer there, with po-po everywhere than I do in similar places here. Of course, back then KCMO was having a hell of a time recruiting cops. Friend's father-in-law to be was a retired KCMO beat cop and was trying to talk me into applying - as at least at that point in time, you could get hired and start academy training at 19 in Missouri, and you could be a working beat cop at 20. I almost applied, and 20 years hence, I kind of regret not applying.

It seems to me that in the midwest and the south, they take things a tad more seriously than we do out west. Or maybe they just have more crime :rolleyes:

I spent a month with friends in KCMO when I was 18. Even back then, KC was enough of a turd-orifice that pretty much every store 7-11 size or larger, had armed security. The local grocery stores paid off duty cops (most of the security I saw, were actually off duty cops) to both patrol the floor, and man the front of the stores.

The shopping malls had armed security (not cops, but mall security) patrolling on foot and in vehicles. They worked in pairs. It was a little bit of a culture shock, as you don't see that here in the PNW. Honestly I *felt* safer there, with po-po everywhere than I do in similar places here. Of course, back then KCMO was having a hell of a time recruiting cops. Friend's father-in-law to be was a retired KCMO beat cop and was trying to talk me into applying - as at least at that point in time, you could get hired and start academy training at 19 in Missouri, and you could be a working beat cop at 20. I almost applied, and 20 years hence, I kind of regret not applying.

It seems to me that in the midwest and the south, they take things a tad more seriously than we do out west. Or maybe they just have more crime :rolleyes:

Not more crime. I used to live in Yakima where the murder rate is 2-3 times what it is in North and South Carolina. Never saw any armed security there either in grocery stores. Its certainly nowhere near as bad as KC MO.

I agree with you about open carry too.

Cate

Reminder:

Security regardless of Armed/Unarmed is at the discretion of their site hosts requirements/policy. Companies poorly utilize security these days, too much concierge and less surveillance and enforcement.

You could have all the tier 1 operator training in the world but your jobs sites policy and standards would immediately give you the disadvantage in a situation. Some won't even do armed because they see it too big a liability, ya know big corps with wicked deep pockets are afraid of a court room. Makes sense to me.

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads