JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
^^^ but NOT while in uniform. As a cop, you expect the risk but want it quickly obtainable. That would be silly, in uniform your kind of expected to be armed right? :s0037:

As a "private citizen" I want to be concealed and blend in...Not draw a target on my back.... but you do have those "I got a gun" kind of nuts out there who just gotta wear it exposed like a phallic symbolo_O

As a "private citizen" I want to be concealed and blend in...Not draw a target on my back.... but you do have those "I got a gun" kind of nuts out there who just gotta wear it exposed like a phallic symbolo_O
Its not really like a phallic symbol thing. Its 100+ and 90%+ humidity in the summer time and I'm not wearing an untucked shirt like some F'n slob or a jacket. If someone doesnt like the fact I'm carrying a gun I don't really care.

While there are those indeed who do gun owners no favors , with how and where they carry their firearms...not to forget to mention just how they carry themselves...
Yes the internet is full of the bad example , easy to find for sure.

I and many others who carry openly * do not fall under the above.

It is important to remember that , no matter how you carry or what you do when in the public eye with a firearm...
You represent all gun owners at that time and interaction .
You , how you behave and what you say will be the yardstick by which we will all be judged by.
Gun owners are both their best and worst ambassadors.
Andy
* To be honest here...I at times and places will carry concealed as well.
As I said in my first post here...there is a time and place for open carry and concealed carry.

Its not really like a phallic symbol thing. Its 100+ and 90%+ humidity in the summer time and I'm not wearing an untucked shirt like some F'n slob or a jacket. If someone doesnt like the fact I'm carrying a gun I don't really care.

I guess I am one of those "f'n slobs'; I almost never tuck in my shirts - even ones with tails - unless I am wearing a suit (funeral or wedding). But then I don't give a f*** what people think of my fashion sense or any other aspect of my character, and if they saw the inside of my house they would know I am most certainly a f'n slob.

What I do care about is whether I am considered a target or risk by someone that intends to do someone harm and/or intends to do something illegal. I can't help the fact that I am big (6'6" & 275#) so sometimes physically intimidating to some people, but I can try to conceal whether I am carrying a gun or not.

IMHO Open Carry makes you a target and negates any advantage you may have had in a situation of a confrontation.
It also serves as a warning flag to others contemplating "confronting" you, that doing so may be harmful to their health and well being.

Last Edited:
There are well tested tools to deal with open carry "gun grabs," namely retention holsters and handgun retention and disarming training. Handgun retention techniques have been taught to police for some time and these techniques do work, even against much stronger opponents. They are available to learn for regular civilians as well. For anyone that carries a handgun openly these are important tools and skills to have.

Everyone should carry their gun in a way that makes sense for them. Isn't it great that we currently enjoy the freedom to make our own choices?

There are well tested tools to deal with open carry "gun grabs," namely retention holsters and handgun retention and disarming training. Handgun retention techniques have been taught to police for some time and these techniques do work, even against much stronger opponents. They are available to learn for regular civilians as well. For anyone that carries a handgun openly these are important tools and skills to have.

Everyone should carry their gun in a way that makes sense for them. Isn't it great that we currently enjoy the freedom to make our own choices?

Agree with points you make here - if you carry open, a retention holster is a huge plus, and knowing how to defend the gun is another. I'd say having a small, accessible knife to fight with in a clinch is a big plus too - preferably a fixed blade so you don't have to mess with opening a folder under stress, in the middle of a fight. Just draw the Get Off Me knife and commence to stabbing/cutting the guy going for your gun.

And really, if the plan to ambush you is walking up and shooting you in the head, especially from behind, there may not be much you can do to defend against that. Situational awareness is great, but only goes so far. When your time is up, its up.

I guess I am one of those "f'n slobs'; I almost never tuck in my shirts - even ones with tails - unless I am wearing a suit (funeral or wedding). But then I don't give a f*** what people think of my fashion sense or any other aspect of my character, and if they saw the inside of my house they would know I am most certainly a f'n slob.

That's East Coast vr. West Coast.

I open carry slightly. Times I go down to my business late at night in a remote industrial area. I take that as an opportunity to carry something I would never use for EDC. I usually sling up something like an SBR or a PCC. Last weekend Sunday night at 11 PM to 2 AM, I took my 300blk Sig Canebrake with a SIG suppressor and light, on a single point sling under my jacket. However, I don't make a stop at the Quickie Mart for beer and walk around with the suppressor poking out the lower part of my jacket.

1576624208594.png

Guard One security officer Anthony Smith, 51, died of a single gunshot wound at 7:20pm at the Winston-Salem Food Lion where he was working after a man described as a "..light-skinned, heavy-set black man in his early 30s" walked up and shot him in the head.

All this talk of concealed carry, retention holsters and techniques, get off me knives, etc. seem pretty pointless give this scenario.

Guard One security officer Anthony Smith, 51, died of a single gunshot wound at 7:20pm at the Winston-Salem Food Lion where he was working after a man described as a "..light-skinned, heavy-set black man in his early 30s" walked up and shot him in the head.

All this talk of concealed carry, retention holsters and techniques, get off me knives, etc. seem pretty pointless give this scenario.

Nothing like arguing about OC even when the topic is NOT about OC. I guess the thread title was shiny enough to get some people's attention.

:rolleyes:

Nothing like arguing about OC even when the topic is NOT about OC. I guess the thread title was shiny enough to get some people's attention.

I guess so.

It is more likely this guy was killed because of a gang initiation or vendetta from throwing the low life off the premises in an previous encounter and the gun was a bonus score.

I guess so.

It is more likely this guy was killed because of a gang initiation or vendetta from throwing the low life off the premises in an previous encounter and the gun was a bonus score.

Yup. But I'm sure the OC arguments will continue.

The point was that OC can make you a target. While the example scenario was not strictly private carry, and was more 'extreme', it is an example of how the OC of a firearm can make you a target, even if it was a security guard.

This scenario could have just as easily applied to any private citizen openly carrying near some criminal who then took that as an opportunity to walk up behind the citizen, pop them and take their gun. Crimes of opportunity are very popular; there are a lot of hardened criminals who just cruise around looking for such circumstances.

I like the surprise factor of " oh crap, old guy with a gun". Right before they are perforated because i will not hesitate, give warning or try to verbally command them to do anything. If i pull my gun I will do so for good reason, with the full knowledge that I can only "make" them do one thing, die.
i will empty my gun into them, and if I have the time reload and continue. If asked in court "why did you shoot him 24 times? " of course the answer will be"I ran outa boolits".

of course in a perfect world, everyone would open carry, society would be polite and this wouldn't be an issue.

d4af465bd9c549d10828028fe5af65c0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR