JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not sure who wrote this letter, but its quite a good read.. OR EVEN IF IT'S TRUE BUT SO WHAT....WHAT IT DOES IS GIVE US SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT...PLUS HOW FAR FROM TRUTH AND WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN..IS THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To All My Valued Employees,

There have been some rumblings around the office about the future of this company, and more specifically, your job. As you know, the economy has changed for the worse and presents many challenges. However, the good news is this: The economy doesn't pose a threat to your job. What does threaten your job however, is the changing political landscape in this country.

However, let me tell you some little tidbits of fact which might help you decide what is in your best interests.

First, while it is easy to spew rhetoric that casts employers against employees, you have to understand that for every business owner there is a back story. This back story is often neglected and overshadowed by what you see and hear. Sure, you see me park my Mercedes outside. You've seen my big home at last years Christmas party. I'm sure; all these flashy icons of luxury conjure up some idealized thoughts about my life.

However, what you don't see is the back story.

I started this company 28 years ago. At that time, I lived in a 300 square foot studio apartment for 3 years. My entire living apartment was converted into an office so I could put forth 100% effort into building a company, which by the way, would eventually employ you.

My diet consisted of Ramen Pride noodles because every dollar I spent went back into this company. I drove a rusty Toyota Corolla with a defective transmission. I didn't have time to date. Often times, I stayed home on weekends, while my friends went out drinking and partying. In fact, I was married to my business -- hard work, discipline, and sacrifice.

Meanwhile, my friends got jobs. They worked 40 hours a week and made a modest $50K a year and spent every dime they earned. They drove flashy cars and lived in expensive homes and wore fancy designer clothes. Instead of hitting the Nordstrom's for the latest hot fashion item, I was trolling through the Goodwill store extracting any clothing item that didn't look like it was birthed in the 70's. My friends refinanced their mortgages and lived a life of luxury. I, however, did not. I put my time, my money, and my life into a business with a vision that eventually, some day, I too, will be able to afford these luxuries my friends supposedly had.

So, while you physically arrive at the office at 9am, mentally check in at about noon, and then leave at 5pm, I don't. There is no "off" button for me. When you leave the office, you are done and you have a weekend all to yourself. I unfortunately do not have the freedom. I eat, and breathe this company every minute of the day. There is no rest. There is no weekend. There is no happy hour. Every day this business is attached to my hip like a 1 year old special-needs child. You, of course, only see the fruits of that garden -- the nice house, the Mercedes, the vacations... You never realize the back story and the sacrifices I've made.

Now, the economy is falling apart and I, the guy that made all the right decisions and saved his money, have to bail-out all the people who didn't. The people that overspent their paychecks suddenly feel entitled to the same luxuries that I earned and sacrificed a decade of my life for.

Yes, business ownership has is benefits but the price I've paid is steep and not without wounds.

Unfortunately, the cost of running this business, and employing you, is starting to eclipse the threshold of marginal benefit and let me tell you why:

I am being taxed to death and the government thinks I don't pay enough. I have state taxes. Federal taxes. Property taxes. Sales and use taxes. Payroll taxes. Workers compensation taxes. Unemployment taxes. Taxes on taxes. I have to hire a tax man to manage all these taxes and then guess what? I have to pay taxes for employing him. Government mandates and regulations and all the accounting that goes with it, now occupy most of my time. On Oct 15th, I wrote a check to the US Treasury for $288,000 for quarterly taxes. You know what my "stimulus" check was? Zero. Nada. Zilch.

The question I have is this: Who is stimulating the economy? Me, the guy who has provided 14 people good paying jobs and serves over 2,200,000 people per year with a flourishing business? Or, the single mother sitting at home pregnant with her fourth child waiting for her next welfare check? Obviously, government feels the latter is the economic stimulus of this country.

The fact is, if I deducted (Read: Stole) 50% of your paycheck you'd quit and you wouldn't work here. I mean, why should you? That's nuts. Who wants to get rewarded only 50% of their hard work? Well, I agree which is why your job is in jeopardy.

Here is what many of you don't understand ... to stimulate the economy you need to stimulate what runs the economy. Had suddenly government mandated to me that I didn't need to pay taxes, guess what? Instead of depositing that $288,000 into the Washington black-hole, I would have spent it, hired more employees, and generated substantial economic growth. My employees would have enjoyed the wealth of that tax cut in the form of promotions and better salaries. But you can forget it now.

When you have a comatose man on the verge of death, you don't defibrillate and shock his thumb thinking that will bring him back to life, do you? Or, do you defibrillate his heart? Business is at the heart of America and always has been. To restart it, you must stimulate it, not kill it. Suddenly, the power brokers in Washington believe the poor of America are the essential drivers of the American economic engine. Nothing could be further from the truth and this is the type of change you can keep.

So where am I going with all this?

It's quite simple.

If any new taxes are levied on me, or my company, my reaction will be swift and simple. I fire you. I fire your co-workers. You can then plead with the government to pay for your mortgage, your SUV, and your child's future. Frankly, it isn't my problem any more.

Then, I will close this company down, move to another country, and retire. You see, I'm done. I'm done with a country that penalizes the productive and gives to the unproductive. My motivation to work and to provide jobs will be destroyed, and with it, will be my citizenship.

If you lose your job, it won't be at the hands of the economy; it will be at the hands of a political hurricane that swept through this country, steamrolled the constitution, and will have changed its landscape forever. If that happens, you can find me sitting on a beach, retired, and with no employees to worry about....

Signed,

Your boss

This is one of those fake letters that circulate on the internet. There is a website that lists and debunks them but I cannot remember the name right now. This is just propaganda shaped into a more swallowable pill. If they can make you think an actual business owner is writing such a letter it makes it seem more realistic. That is not the case.

This is one of those fake letters that circulate on the internet. There is a website that lists and debunks them but I cannot remember the name right now. This is just propaganda shaped into a more swallowable pill. If they can make you think an actual business owner is writing such a letter it makes it seem more realistic. That is not the case.

snopes.com

IMO bosses like this are also one of the reasons were in the mess were in now...

I can respect your opinion, but you watch as taxes go up on the more wealthy and business owners and jobs will become more scarce. This is why I'm a fan of a flat tax. We all pay the same amount not a % and then those that are willing to work will get what they deserve and those that are lazy will get what they deserve.

If any new taxes are levied on me, or my company, my reaction will be swift and simple. I fire you. I fire your co-workers. You can then plead with the government to pay for your mortgage, your SUV, and your child's future. Frankly, it isn't my problem any more.

Then, I will close this company down, move to another country, and retire. You see, I'm done. I'm done with a country that penalizes the productive and gives to the unproductive. My motivation to work and to provide jobs will be destroyed, and with it, will be my citizenship.

I wasent even talking about the tax part. I was talking about the "I have mine so forget you" part of the letter.

snopes.com
Thanks, that's it.
I can respect your opinion, but you watch as taxes go up on the more wealthy and business owners and jobs will become more scarce. This is why I'm a fan of a flat tax. We all pay the same amount not a % and then those that are willing to work will get what they deserve and those that are lazy will get what they deserve.
I am an actual business owner and this story is such crap. The VAST majority of small business owners make way under the tax increase amount. Those that do make over the affected amount are not going to be severely harmed by a 2% increase in their tax rate since they are obviously very profitable.

Most companies pay way under the percentage that than average person making $35k a year pays. I remember reading an article on a plane awhile back about home much taxes big companies where actually paying and I paid more in taxes (total amount, not percentage) that many of the fortune 500 companies.

I have also been to Roatan many times and looked at the address wall in one of their banks where many of the big companies of this country list their parent company to avoid paying taxes.

I find that letter funny because at my previous job, I worked on commission only. I made good money, however, since commission is considered "gift tax", its taxed 40%. Now tell me how working my butt off in sales for commission, is considered a gift? Im not winning the lottery every week, Im working. Yet I get penalized 40%! Im not rich, I dont make over 40k a year, yet the government is taking almost half my income.

So this guy can complain all he wants about being taxed hard. But when you look at the bottom line, I can barely survive on my income while he is still rich, just not as rich as he could be.

I wasent even talking about the tax part. I was talking about the "I have mine so forget you" part of the letter.

Yeah I agree that part is harsh, but I think what truly needs to be said is that he has created jobs for awhile and is too sick of dealing with the government and taxes to continue to do so. How many of us if we had enough money to do just that and drop everything and move away would do so? But, I do agree that portion is more harsh than a "real" letter would probably put it.

Thanks, that's it.

I am an actual business owner and this story is such crap. The VAST majority of small business owners make way under the tax increase amount. Those that do make over the affected amount are not going to be severely harmed by a 2% increase in their tax rate since they are obviously very profitable.

Most companies pay way under the percentage that than average person making $35k a year pays. I remember reading an article on a plane awhile back about home much taxes big companies where actually paying and I paid more in taxes (total amount, not percentage) that many of the fortune 500 companies.

I have also been to Roatan many times and looked at the address wall in one of their banks where many of the big companies of this country list their parent company to avoid paying taxes.

Again why I'm for flat tax. Then no one can complain... but we all know they still would.

Again why I'm for flat tax. Then no one can complain... but we all know they still would.
Flat tax is flawed. I can afford to pay 20% of my salary in taxes with little effect on my lifestyle. A person making $20k a year cannot. So where do we decide at what point you start paying taxes? If you said $30k would it be fair that the person who just got a 2% raise that put them at $30k a year is now actually making $6k a year less for his efforts?

Thanks, that's it.

Tax write offs. My father owns his own business, and he writes off tons of things. Its perfectly legal if its a business related expense, especially for a small business like my fathers. But corporations take advantage of this and write off tons of crap to avoid paying. For example, Intel donated 4 computer labs to my school. It probably cost them a total of 1,000 dollars in materials, but they wrote off about 20k per lab (estimated based off the projectors, etc). Since it was a donation to a school, they can pretty much write off 80k.

Flat tax is flawed. I can afford to pay 20% of my salary in taxes with little effect on my lifestyle. A person making $20k a year cannot. So where do we decide at what point you start paying taxes? If you said $30k would it be fair that the person who just got a 2% raise that put them at $30k a year is now actually making $6k a year less for his efforts?

How about a guy making ~35k a year and getting taxed 40%? That was me.

Propaganda or not, what part of this letter isn't true? It was put in a letter format to get more peoples attention, if it was just another article with statistics and facts most people wouldn't even have taken the time to read it. With our nations economy going down the toilet people are searching for answers, a 700 billion dollar stimulus is not the answer. If you have a hole in your tire you can fill it up with air all you want, its just going to go flat again, patch the tire and it will hold air again. The only pill people need to swallow is the one that opens their eyes to what is going on and why.

Flat tax is what this country was founded on. It is not a "fair" tax which is a percentage it is an actual dollar amount. Those companies that pay nothing and cheat the system couldn't and those that make too little and negr pay anything and get welfare would have to pay too. This is the same argument that my union at work tries to make all the time. They want us to boycott businesses like mcdonalds and burger king because their CEOs make "too much" money while those that flip burgers can't live on their income. My responce to that if putting it here isn't a huge punn. "no one held a gun to those peoples heads and told them that they have to stay there and accept that wage forever". Our country is based on capitolism and I have the ability to work as hard as I want to or be as lazy as I want to be, but either way I will reap what I sow.

Although like your tag says when the zombies show up we won't care about taxes... At least for awhile.

Interesting thing is, when this nation was first started, companies didn 't pay ANY tax.. they were all fammily run enterprises. Each individual was responsible to pay his own taxes. Since the companies paid their employees from their revenues, the taxes were paid in the end anyway. What picks me anymore is that, go ahead and build up a great and prosperous family business., Now, try and pass that along to your kids. Can't do it. The government holds out their hand, not for half the revenue gained, but for half the APPRAISED VALUE of the business, including all monies owed it, all capital and real assets, and even the value of "goodwill" from having run a great company and made a go of it. I know of a family held company here in Washington that will have to be dismantled on the death of the Dad who founded it fifty years ago. His sons, who worked alongside him to make it what it is today will get half the cash.... AFTER a fire-sale liquidation of all assets. Hey, they'd rather have the company. Worth far more than "actual cash value", as it is a guaranteed income stream. After that sort of drubbing, I doubt not the sons would want to simply take the money (which will almost certainly be taxed again to them as income, right?), sell off their own personal assets, and head for that beach in Aruba.....after pouring their hearts and lives into it for a generation, seeing the government take more than half of it (and dismantle the company into the bargain... laying off several hundred employees) who would even want to keep paying that piper? Those denizens of the marble zoo on the shores of the Potomac need to be turned out into the streets to fend for themselves, and be replaced with the like of those sons who will have their Father's company stolen from them.... by those very monkeys in DC. Two problems with most of our elected "representatives": first, they are almost all attorneys. Second, they are NOT aboard the Titan... oh, never mind, wrong one. Second, few have ever actually WORKED for their tucker.....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top