JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lets see... I'm going to call, the good and the bad, the "other" I'm going to ignore...

1) dumb, use kerosine works way better, in lieu of that, cotton balls covered in petrolium jelly
2) Good idea, does add a lot of bulk and expense to camping equipment, but for longer term expedition camping that I do should work great.
3) stupid, use battery powered glowsticks. I'm sure this is why I have to deal tons of gallon water container trash at campgrounds.
4) Dry ice works better
5) wtf? Sounds like a good way to set the campground on fire
11) smells good at least
12) foil is your friend for outdoor cooking
17) Microfiber-towels rock
20) Plastic camping spoon? You couldn't bring a real spoon? you're going to cut yourself trying to make that.
27) cabbage rolls... good idea
(FYI, most of the drinking and food ideas are not looking so good, this looks like backyard bbq and beach drinking fare, not something you want to carry into the woods)
31) Battery operated tea lights? these don't exist in my world, why would you put one in an empty peanut butter jar?
36) stop trying to use candles, they're a fire hazard and don't put out a lot of light, buy a battery operated lantern or a real coleman or kerosine lantern. Also, matches are for scrubs

Tictac boxes? they sell huge spice dispensers for a few dollars and it will keep you from having to eat 10 boxes of tictacs.

There are a few goods, and a few comically stupid ideas here. Most of these seem to be geared towards hipsters being hipsters in the forest. It seems pretty clear that these ideas would fall flat on their face (or worse) if attempted in an actual camping environment.

The baileys marshmellows looked good,
The sage in the fire if it works could be a life saver ( if you've ever been camping and swarmed by mosquitos you know)
The altoids containers kinda a good idea,
And the eggs in the water bottle good idea

Kid stuff, now I see where all the crap littering the forest comes from. More fitting for Good Housekeeping mag than prep and survival.
But then, it doesn't always have to be about grubs and snares. Sometimes, you just want to have fun. I can dig it!

MY GAWD at least the people that this relates to may get out of the F&$KING house
Not everyone is cut out for hiking 27 miles and camping in the pouring rain.
Hey if someone is gunna get out and SEE NATURE,instead of the apartment's laundry room or their mom's basement and risk their life with some poison oak
WHO ARE YOU TO JUDGE???

I like the eggs in a bottle thing

MY GAWD at least the people that this relates to may get out of the F&$KING house
Not everyone is cut out for hiking 27 miles and camping in the pouring rain.
Hey if someone is gunna get out and SEE NATURE,instead of the apartment's laundry room or their mom's basement and risk their life with some poison oak
WHO ARE YOU TO JUDGE???

I like the eggs in a bottle thing

It's always the amateurs that get SAR killed.

do you know how expensive it is to run a helicopter? Even a little jet ranger can run into the thousands per hour in maintenance, parts and JP8. At the same time, it's kinda hard to find an avalanche victim from any kind of airborne asset. Usually it takes dogs and people with sticks probing for the body.

Oddly enough, buddy of mine is with King county SAR, and usually when they find a body, they will find a set of car keys in the pocket and better than 80% of the time it's the subaru forester with a "REI: Life is Good" and a "wag more, bark less" sticker on the back. Apparently this is getting so common they will actually take bets on which subaru the ill fated hiker belonged to.

The problem is, even the most experienced and veteran outdoorsman occasionally get into trouble. I did when I was driving I-70 through the rockies and the "blizzard of the century" hit. Thankfully, I had 50 extra gallons of fuel, two sleeping bags and a bunch of canned food and MRE's, and had enough sense to get off the road and pull into an underpass before I got trapped. S-happens man

do you know how expensive it is to run a helicopter? Even a little jet ranger can run into the thousands per hour in maintenance, parts and JP8. At the same time, it's kinda hard to find an avalanche victim from any kind of airborne asset. Usually it takes dogs and people with sticks probing for the body.
The body ain't going any where.
We risk too many lives and spend too much money on finding remains of those who should camp at camp grounds instead of wandering off of the grid.
We need to take after NZ and you do what you do at your own risk,sorry if it doesn't work out.
Who's in an avalanch,anyway? Someone with some experience that maybe should have stuck to the groomed slopes or didn't listen to the reports that warm weather may cause avalanches that day?
Or someone with too much time out there who thought they were invincible?

None of whom I care to spend my tax money searching for.
I met a gal who claims she made it 7-8 miles back to her car with a broken leg cause she didn't want to pay for the rescue.

Clearconscience you lasted longer than some. (180 post turn ) In just 13 post we went from a video of fun things to try when camping to 36 dumb things to try, frozen rich hippies, then nearly meeting your maker while in a underpass in the Rockies during a whiteout. I don't remember an underpass in the Rockies but do remember what the underside of a large cedar tree near Teto & Chiquito Lake looked like in a whiteout so that's likely why.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top