1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

A few email responses

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Mutoman, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Mutoman

Mutoman North Bend Active Member

I took advantage of OFF's auto-mailer (Automailer) and sent out emails to all of our Oregon Senators and Representatives. Only good responses so far. Here are a few:

Senator Whitsett:

The Oregonian reports that HB 3200 appears to be dead on arrival, but here are the phone numbers of the Sponsors and Co-Sponsors. Please let them know of your opposition.

Rep. Greenlick – 503-986-1433

Rep. Bailey – 503-986-1442

Rep. Buckley – 503-986-1405

Rep. Dembro – 503-986-1445

Rep. Frederick – 503-986-1443

Rep. Keny-Guyer – 503-986-1446

Rep. Read – 503-986-1427

Rep. Reardon – 503-986-1428

Rep. Tomei – 503-986-1441

Sen. Burdick – 503-986-1718

Sen. Dingfelder – 503-986-1723

Sen. Hass – 503-986-1714

Sen. Monnes Anderson – 503-986-1725

Sen. Monroe – 503-986-1724

Sen. Shields – 503-986-1722

Sen. Steiner Hayward – 503-986-1717

Again, thank you for your thoughts regarding this matter.

Warm regards,

Sandy Sumner

Legislative Assistant

Office of Doug Whitsett

Senator, District 28

Rep. Sal Esquivel:

As others have as well, I have received well over one thousand five hundred (1500) emails regarding HB 3200 which was introduced last week. This type of legislation makes me very sad and disheartened. Our Constitution with the Amendments has stood for hundreds of years and to have individuals who have taken an oath to uphold the Constitution decide to do their best to rewrite it is despicable.I have attached to this email a list of The Fifteen with all their contact information. Take just a moment to send them an email or give them a call and express your concerns regarding their willingness to “infringe” upon your Second Amendment Rights. Please be polite – no threatening – but firm with your convictions.

Many of you have already received the following but for those of you who have not, I have included my recent statement on Gun Rights. "A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a Free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

Please know that as far as I am concerned there is no wavering on the Second Amendment. In my opinion the Second Amendment gives us as US Citizens the right to protect ourselves, our families and our property. It states that we have the right to form a militia if this country were to be invaded and specifically gives us the right to bear arms to keep our own government in check if necessary. Limiting us, as Americans, access to guns in general or to specific guns and ammunition is a blatant affront to the Constitution of the United States and specifically – the Second Amendment.

Now, is there work to be done – most certainly – but we need to focus on what needs to be done and what will make a difference. Our national and state mental health programs need to be examined closely and changes made where appropriate. We need to reexamine the reasons we declare different areas “gun free” zones. Does it make sense to announce that our schools and our theaters are “gun free” zones and then NOT expect those areas to be targeted?

Recently I had an individual verbally reprimand me for using the statement “common sense” – but I believe that we need to apply common sense to these situations. If you are a criminal or suffering from mental health issues and you determine you want to hurt someone are you going to go to the local police station where you know there are people who protect themselves with firearms? I think not – Common Sense tells you to find an area where there are no guns allowed.

I believe there is much work to be done in order to deter individuals from harming themselves and others with any weapons – guns being the main topic of discussion at this time. It horrifies me to think of what happened in Connecticut at the school and in theater in Colorado – but limiting law abiding American Citizens access to firearms is not the answer.

Thank you so much for corresponding with me on these issues – I look forward to hearing from you again. I am here to assist you in any way possible and I appreciate you staying in touch. Please take just a moment and go to my new website Oregon Representative Sal Esquivel, contact - and sign up to stay in touch. It just takes a moment to fill out the request form and I can add you to my email list to keep you updated on gun control and other important issues you are specifically interested in.

Thank you
    Rep. Sal Esquivel
    District 6

Senator George

Thank you for taking the time to contact Sen. George regarding current efforts to restrict the Second Amendment. Sen. George is a strong supporter of the Second Amendment and is not supporting any of the efforts to infringe upon gun rights.He believes it is important to focus efforts on supporting mental health programs in order to help curb violence rather than attempting to treat the symptoms that reflect our lack of commitment to this important area.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to contact Sen. George.

Jesse Alexander
    Chief of Staff
    Sen. Larry George
    (503) 986-1713

Rep Barker

Thank you for your email.

I am opposed to any new restrictions on law abiding gun owners, including the bills you mentioned. As both a retired cop w/ 31 years in law enforcement and a Democrat, I frequently remind my legislative colleagues that law abiding gun owners pose no threat to public safety. I have opposed, and will continue to oppose, efforts to ban CHL holders from K-12 schools and higher educational campus, so called "assault weapon" bans, and any other unecessary restrictions on Oregonians' 2nd Amendment rights.

Thanks again for your email and please feel free to contact me again on this or any other issue.

Jeff Barker
  2. Mutoman

Mutoman North Bend Active Member

I appreciate hearing your views on the movement for more gun control laws. The focus should be on enforcing the laws we already have to prevent firearms from falling into the hands of violent criminals and those who are mentally unstable.

The call for greater security almost always comes at the expense of liberty. History shows that before tyranny can replace a democracy or republic, the people first must be disarmed.

By restricting the ability of citizens to protect themselves from violent criminals, we would merely make law abiding citizens more vulnerable to gun-toting sociopaths.

I remain a strong supporter of the 2nd Amendment.

Oregon House District 4

900 Court Street NE H-373

Salem, Oregon 97301

OLDNEWBIE State of Flux Well-Known Member

I've gotten some of the good responses also but to get through the filters of the Burdicks,Greenlicks and Dembrows etc., emailing them directly with a short respectful message has a better chance of getting through I think.
  4. U201494

U201494 Well-Known Member

Whodathunkit? Appears there are some Orygun politicians sporting some sack.