Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

'A Date Which Will Live in Infamy'

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RicInOR, Dec 7, 2015.

1. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

2. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I've been to Pearl Harbor twice. It is chilling to stand over the grave of so many brave sailors and marines, taken by an act of pure cowardice. We must always take the time to remember such sacrifices so perhaps, we may not have to make them again.

3. edslhead

edslhead Vanc Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

Its a bit strange to go to the memorial now and be outnumbered by Japanese tourist.

4. Charliehorse

Charliehorse Cascade Mts - State of Jefferson USA Well-Known Member

Thanx to a great HS teacher Mr. Ed Corley (70-74), I will always remember Pearl Harbor Day, Dec 7, 1941.
    Every year on Dec 7 he would draw a sketch of ships, planes, bombs, kamikaze's, explosions, US Flag flying, etc, on the chalk board.
    Thank you Mr. Corley.
    And Thank you brave American Veterans.

th_smiley_salute.gif flag2.gif

5. PaulB47

PaulB47 Hillsboro Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what it should be called, but cowardice doesn't seem to fit.

In retrospect, it was a mistake for FDR to cut off oil shipments to Japan (besides being unconstitutional - presidents shouldn't have dictatorial powers).

6. Camarobear

Camarobear Vancouver Active Member

Thank you to all 3 of my Grandfathers. This day in history had all 3 of them sailing in the Merchant Marine, and Navy.

I remember the stories about the first kamikaze attacks and the Battle for Iwo Jima.

Great men. We should all strive to be like such great men that were willing to stand and make the change.

7. thorborg

thorborg portland oregon Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

To me, a dawn raid on an as yet uninvolved country is parallel to shooting someone in the back, "The dirty little coward shot Mr. Howard in the back"
    An act of War, which ultimately granted extraordinary powers to a sitting president.
    Thank God our current monarch was not in power.
    Sometimes, you reap more than you sow.:s0021:

8. Scrammer

Scrammer SW Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

It is sad that Pearl Harbor is being ignored by so many. Evidently Bing and Google have decided that it is a nothing day.
    Those who refuse to acknowledge history are doomed to continual failure.

Camarobear likes this.
  9. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Found this a day late:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-armed-citizens-summoned-to-homeland-defense/

"With the Army and the National Guard busy overseas, homeland defense was the responsibility of the rest of the American public. On March 10, 1942, Maryland’s Democratic governor, Herbert O’Conor, called forth the militia of Maryland. In a radio address to the People of the State, O’Conor called for the creation of the Maryland Minute Men. They would provide “local protection against parachute troops, saboteurs, or organized raiding parties” — attacks that might be assisted by “by enemy sympathizers within our State.” (The full text of the speech is reproduced at the end of this post.)"
    Highlight added.

Was that the last time a militia was called up?

10. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Yeah I know they were our enemy at the time,but cowardice?
    Really?
    They were fighting for what THEY thought was right.
    So go get in a plane and just ram it into something that you are against
    They were just doing what they though was right.nothing cowardice about killing enemies for the cause you think is right
    All they had to do was try to fly home or coast into the ocean and wait for the US ships to save them if they were cowards

11. USMC-03

USMC-03 Moscow on the Willamette (i.e. Portland, Oregon) Well-Known Member

I was stationed at Pearl Harbor during the 50th anniversary of the attack; it was a very moving experience even if was a big pain in the arsenal at the time. Hope to go back next year for the 75th.

12. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Attacking young men, not on the field of battle, but rather while they slept, prepared to go to chapel, or just went about their day? Attacking a country you're not at war with, meaning they are not your enemy? Sorry, but I stick with cowardice. For a country that prided itself on honor, it certainly took a cowardly and dishonorable way to drag us into a war we didn't want.