JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
<broken link removed>

Those who were serving at the start of the war, would be in their 90's or older.

The closest information I could find was that 2000-2500 veterans of Pearl Harbor were still alive on this date in 2013.

I've been to Pearl Harbor twice. It is chilling to stand over the grave of so many brave sailors and marines, taken by an act of pure cowardice. We must always take the time to remember such sacrifices so perhaps, we may not have to make them again.

Thanx to a great HS teacher Mr. Ed Corley (70-74), I will always remember Pearl Harbor Day, Dec 7, 1941.
Every year on Dec 7 he would draw a sketch of ships, planes, bombs, kamikaze's, explosions, US Flag flying, etc, on the chalk board.
Thank you Mr. Corley.
And Thank you brave American Veterans.

th_smiley_salute.gif flag2.gif

taken by an act of pure cowardice

I'm not sure what it should be called, but cowardice doesn't seem to fit.

In retrospect, it was a mistake for FDR to cut off oil shipments to Japan (besides being unconstitutional - presidents shouldn't have dictatorial powers).

Thank you to all 3 of my Grandfathers. This day in history had all 3 of them sailing in the Merchant Marine, and Navy.

I remember the stories about the first kamikaze attacks and the Battle for Iwo Jima.

Great men. We should all strive to be like such great men that were willing to stand and make the change.

I'm not sure what it should be called, but cowardice doesn't seem to fit.

In retrospect, it was a mistake for FDR to cut off oil shipments to Japan (besides being unconstitutional - presidents shouldn't have dictatorial powers).
To me, a dawn raid on an as yet uninvolved country is parallel to shooting someone in the back, "The dirty little coward shot Mr. Howard in the back"
An act of War, which ultimately granted extraordinary powers to a sitting president.
Thank God our current monarch was not in power.
Sometimes, you reap more than you sow.:s0021:

It is sad that Pearl Harbor is being ignored by so many. Evidently Bing and Google have decided that it is a nothing day.
Those who refuse to acknowledge history are doomed to continual failure.

Found this a day late:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-armed-citizens-summoned-to-homeland-defense/

"With the Army and the National Guard busy overseas, homeland defense was the responsibility of the rest of the American public. On March 10, 1942, Maryland's Democratic governor, Herbert O'Conor, called forth the militia of Maryland. In a radio address to the People of the State, O'Conor called for the creation of the Maryland Minute Men. They would provide "local protection against parachute troops, saboteurs, or organized raiding parties" — attacks that might be assisted by "by enemy sympathizers within our State." (The full text of the speech is reproduced at the end of this post.)"
Highlight added.

Was that the last time a militia was called up?

taken by an act of pure cowardice.
Yeah I know they were our enemy at the time,but cowardice?
Really?
They were fighting for what THEY thought was right.
So go get in a plane and just ram it into something that you are against
They were just doing what they though was right.nothing cowardice about killing enemies for the cause you think is right
All they had to do was try to fly home or coast into the ocean and wait for the US ships to save them if they were cowards

Yeah I know they were our enemy at the time,but cowardice?
Really?
They were fighting for what THEY thought was right.
So go get in a plane and just ram it into something that you are against
They were just doing what they though was right.nothing cowardice about killing enemies for the cause you think is right
All they had to do was try to fly home or coast into the ocean and wait for the US ships to save them if they were cowards

Attacking young men, not on the field of battle, but rather while they slept, prepared to go to chapel, or just went about their day? Attacking a country you're not at war with, meaning they are not your enemy? Sorry, but I stick with cowardice. For a country that prided itself on honor, it certainly took a cowardly and dishonorable way to drag us into a war we didn't want.

'Isoroku Yamamoto's sleeping giant quotation is a film quote by the Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto regarding the 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor by forces of Imperial Japan.

The quotation is portrayed at the very end of the 1970 film Tora! Tora! Tora! as:

I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.[1]
Although the producers of the film claim to have found the quote in Yamamoto's writings, there is no printed evidence to prove Yamamoto made this statement. Vermont Royster offers a possible origin to the phrase attributed to Napoleon, "China is a sickly, sleeping giant. But when she awakes the world will tremble".[2]

An abridged version of the quotation is also featured in the 2001 film Pearl Harbor. The 2019 film Midway also features Admiral Yamamoto speaking aloud the sleeping giant quote."

Boy howdy, they got more than they bargained for.

Attacking young men, not on the field of battle, but rather while they slept, prepared to go to chapel, or just went about their day? Attacking a country you're not at war with, meaning they are not your enemy? Sorry, but I stick with cowardice. For a country that prided itself on honor, it certainly took a cowardly and dishonorable way to drag us into a war we didn't want.
When your country (say : Commander on Chief, etc...) says GO.......

Do YOU say?

"Hell no, I won't go!"

Mind you that you're already in and you've been taking "The King's Coin". Referring to similar dilemmas through out time (not only in The UK or Japan).

Aloha, Mark

PS.....recently in the US Military. Lt. Ehren Watada

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR