JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok first let me start with saying I am completely new with the NFA area and have a couple of questions about getting into it.

I have received a fairly decent tax refund and seeing as my bills are paid up I (finally) have a chance to buy some new items to add to my collection.

I want to purchase a supressor and register a lower as an sbr, Can I do both on the same form4 or do they have to be individual? (i'd like to do both on the same day at the same time)

And I figure at somepoint down the road ill end up building a .300 AAC upper and ill probably want to get a can for the 45 too but thats off in the future.

Is it worth getting an NFA trust if I just want to buy a few items?

Also if anyone has an opinion or can tell me wether I should just buy a .308 can and use it for 5.56 and .308 advice would be greatly appreciated

Most of that can be answered in the NFA FAQ just a few posts down from this.

The big advantage to the trust is more then one person (whoever is on the trust) can have legal possession of the item (spouse, kid, family, Best friend).

Each item will need it's own form and tax. The SBR you do yourself on a Form 1, the transfer for the silencer will be on a Form 4.

I own a .308 can and unless I had a very specific reason and lots of extra money I would never buy a .223 can.

With a trust it is up to you to make sure everyone is legal. A trust has no photo or pic so none are submitted. A trust is also a changeable document so people can be added and removed.

I want to purchase a supressor and register a lower as an sbr, Can I do both on the same form4 or do they have to be individual? (i'd like to do both on the same day at the same time) You would do the suppressor on a form 4, and you would need to use a form1 to register the lower as SBR. You will submit 2 copies of each form printed front and back. You can write 1 check for $400 to cover both items.

Is it worth getting an NFA trust if I just want to buy a few items?That depends on a couple of things. Will your CLEO sign off on your Forms? If not, then you'll be going with a trust. Do you want others to be able to possess the toys with you not present? If you do, then again you'll want to go with a trust.

Also if anyone has an opinion or can tell me whether I should just buy a .308 can and use it for 5.56 and .308 advice would be greatly appreciated Sorry for stating the obvious; the .308 can will be more versatile the 5.56 can
Which ever you choose, be prepared for the long wait.

If you have a lawyer draw up the trust for you I'd ask about the 18+ age thing. 18-20 year olds can possess, make, or buy NFA stuff from an individual but they can't get NFA stuff from a FFL dealer. I know a trust isn't a person but perhaps the type of trustee someone in that age group must be has to be specific.

Thanks for the reply's

Im really leaning towards the trust

I live in clackamas county and im pretty sure CLEO will sign off but one thing intrigues me, I live in molalla and we have our own dept here, could that chief sign off on it?

And i figure if i order next month like im planning ill get my stamp just before christmas or hopefully for my birthday so either way its worth the wait!

I never did a trust because Im fine with no one else using my toys. Also it was about $500 for a trust. I did not want a generic, will maker or other. Also clackamas county signs, no problem. You drop off the two copys of form 4 per item and pay $35 for signiture. Good time to pick up finger print cards also.

From ATF FAQ:

Q: What law enforcement officials' certifications on an application to transfer or make an NFA weapon are acceptable to ATF?

As provided by regulations, certifications by the local chief of police, sheriff of the county, head of the State police, or State or local district attorney or prosecutor are acceptable. The regulations also provide that certifications of other officials are appropriate if found in a particular case to be acceptable to the Director. Examples of other officials who have been accepted in specific situations include State attorneys general and judges of State courts having authority to conduct jury trials in felony cases.

[27 CFR 479.63 and 479.85]

The PD chief should be fine. It looks like your PD does fingerprints also. When you call to set up a fingerprint appointment you could just ask them if you can meet with the chief at that time too.

Fingerprinting: *Updated 3-25-13*
$20.00 (cash or check) a card. By appointment only. Tuesdays and Fridays 9 am- 3:30 pm excluding the lunch hour.

Contact Information
117 N. Molalla Ave.
P.O. Box 248
Molalla, OR 97038
Phone: 503-829-8817
Fax: 503-829-3461

mailto:[email protected]

After Hours Non-emergency:
503-655-8211

Hours
8:30 - 4:00

But all of this won't be necessary if you do decide to go the trust route.

There is a PROVEN template for creating a trust in this forum. I have used it with PERFECT success. It realy, TRULY is an easy affair, and it's LEGAL... else I wouldn't have my AWESOME Draco turned AK-variant SBR. Some people tend to over think things, make it more complicated than it is, and sit down to urinate when standing will do... Just sayin' ;)

There is a PROVEN template for creating a trust in this forum. I have used it with PERFECT success. It realy, TRULY is an easy affair, and it's LEGAL... else I wouldn't have my AWESOME Draco turned AK-variant SBR. Some people tend to over think things, make it more complicated than it is, and sit down to urinate when standing will do... Just sayin' ;)

Proven and Legal because ATF approved things or because it held up to legal scrutiny?

There is nothing wrong with hiring an attorney to ensure your assets are protected rather than relying on the word of people on the internet or a software vendor.

I suppose there's nothing wrong with peeing sitting down either.

I'm fairly certain there are more people who don't think enough than there are overthinkers.

What makes you think a trust "protects" your assets? (BTW- they would no longer be YOUR assets, but the trust's). What it does is insulates YOU in a similar fashion as incorporating your business. A trust (or corporation) can be sued like any "real" person can, you simply represent and act on behalf of the trust. Oregon trust laws are pretty straight forward, not mysterious, nor beyond the "comprehension" of us "unlearned/unwashed" knuckle-draggers, Google them up. Just trying to help you save a few hundred bucks, but whatever you're comfortable with.

:s0155:

Here's my .02c

Figure out what you want in a silencer, pistol, 22lr, or rifle. If you want rifle I would highly suggest looking for a 30cal/.308 can because this will run all the way down to 223.

First: Get a trust set up with you and your wife/brother/father/etc.
Second: Send in the paperwork
Third: Track the process via NFATracker.com ATF Form 1 and Form 4 Tracking website
Frouth: Wait, when I called for an update this morning the nice lady said 7+ months :(

I have decided that for my first im gonna just go the fingerprint route for my first nfa item, Some unexpected events came up (gotta love those) and I no longer have the excess funds to set up a trust. Ill do one at some point but seeing as my sons only three now and I really dont expect to be in a situation anytime soon where ill need to transfer posession of an nfa item ill wait a little while and get one set up when I can really delve deep into it.

Now for the tough decision, sbr or a can.....its one or the other or if I can find a decent priced supressor I will do a mk18 build like I want!

Quick question, If I send in the paperwork to sbr a lower i have purchased already, Do I get to keep the lower on hand and get it engraved when i receive the stamp? Or should my name and city engraved on it before I get the stamp? and then go get my short upper once i receive the stamp?

I have decided that for my first im gonna just go the fingerprint route for my first nfa item, Some unexpected events came up (gotta love those) and I no longer have the excess funds to set up a trust. Ill do one at some point but seeing as my sons only three now and I really dont expect to be in a situation anytime soon where ill need to transfer posession of an nfa item ill wait a little while and get one set up when I can really delve deep into it.

Now for the tough decision, sbr or a can.....its one or the other or if I can find a decent priced supressor I will do a mk18 build like I want!

I fully understand you situation.

Just FYI even if you set up a trust later the "individual" purchased items can NOT just be put in the trust. If you want them in the trust then you have to do the paperwork and pay the tax. I have several in my trust and one that is still and "individual" since I am not willing to spend $200 to change a paper name.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top