JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a bunch of mixed 5.56 and 223 brass and decided to start reloadig this caliber. Well... I have 0 small rifle primers but I want to start with case prep.

Question on the 223 and 5.56, do you resize first and then cut to lenght or do you cut to lenght and then resize?
I have read about people successfully using small pistol primers. Would one consider this "safe" if loaded at the lower end of the data?

Another question about loads for snub nose revolvers.

Do you have a preffered powder for the shorter barrels? I load 38special for a small snubnose and I also load 500magnum for a 2 1/4 barrel. I use alliant 2400 for the 500 (works really good but still relatively big fireball) I used to load w296 for it but thats just too much of a handful for me and can't be downloaded.

For the 38 special I use mainly Trailboss but Have HP38 and CFE pistol, Longshot and greendot on hand. The trailboss also works better in my 6" revolver than in the snub. Which would get a more complete burn in that short barrel and not produce unburned powder flakes?

Trying to better my game here.

Thank you for any input!

I have a bunch of mixed 5.56 and 223 brass and decided to start reloadig this caliber. Well... I have 0 small rifle primers but I want to start with case prep.

Question on the 223 and 5.56, do you resize first and then cut to lenght or do you cut to lenght and then resize?

When you size brass it can stretch. You would always want to trim after sizing.

I have read about people successfully using small pistol primers. Would one consider this "safe" if loaded at the lower end of the data?

I am not understanding the question here. Both of those cases use small pistol primers. Wow, I do not know what was going on in my brain when I said that. I am sure the is a whole thread out there somewhere on the difference, my understand is in the hardness. Primers do come in 3 types though, standard, magnum and military (are "harder").

In the AR platform the firing pin is "floating" and if you have ever chambered a round and then manually ejected it you will see a small dimple on the primer. That is from the firing pin hitting it from the inertia of the bolt and the pin "floating". That is why it is recommend to use military primers in guns with a floating pin. There are lots of people, myself included that do not use military primers and have never had a problem.

It is a risk and one you will have to decide if you are willing to take. The choice between standard and magnum primers will come down to the load you decide to use.

Another topic when loading for a semi auto is crimping. You will have to decide what you want to do, read up on it. My recommendation is that if you do chose to crimp to get a separate crimp die. Seat in one step, crimp in the next. It will save you a lot of headaches later, especially as a new loader.

Trying to better my game here.

Thank you for any input!

I resize 223/556 then trim. That's pretty standard for all rifle calibers with bottle necked cases, as when resizing, the case can elongate ever so much.

I used pistol primers in 300 black for a few hundred rounds before learning I was supposed to use rifle. I saw no difference when switching. Though, I was using pistol powders.

38 snubs, I like to use fast powders with low grain weight charges. Less powder, less flash.

Don't use small pistol primers for the .223/5.56

Trim after sizing as the case will grow during the sizing process.

I'll get you some small rifle primers. You'll have to drive to me to pick them up though. :D

"You would always want to trim after sizing."

Reading this quickly, I stopped there and thought this needed correcting. It does not because I now know what you meant to say (my initial interpretation did not fit with the level of experience contained in the rest of your post).

Therefore, I will offer only a re-phrasing as I might have replied considering the OP's admirable quest for answers from persons who may have been down his road before.

"Trimming (if necessary) always is done after sizing."

Please take no offense.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews