JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The militia comprised all males physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense. A body of citizens enrolled for military discipline, that ordinarily when called for service are expected to appear bearing arms supplied by themselves and of the kind in common use at the time

The militia comprised all males physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense. A body of citizens enrolled for military discipline, that ordinarily when called for service are expected to appear bearing arms supplied by themselves and of the kind in common use at the time

WE, YOU, ARE IT !

10 U.S. Code § 311 - Militia: composition and classes
(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
(b) The classes of the militia are—
(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.
10 U.S. Code § 311 - Militia: composition and classes | LII / Legal Information Institute

For anyone who wants to read more about the history and legal basis for the militia, get a copy of Constitutional Homeland Security by Edwin Vieria Jr. He's a Harvard degreed attorney specializing in Constitutional law and has argued and briefed successfully in the Supreme Court. He's also an NRA instructor. I haven't finished reading my copy yet, but below is the link to reader reviews of the book on Amazon. Seems this book is a game changer. Powell's doesn't have a copy right now, but according to the link below, you can order direct from the author for $20. Check it out.

Product Reviews: Constitutional Homeland Security : The Nation in Arms: Amazon.com

For anyone who wants to read more about the history and legal basis for the militia, get a copy of Constitutional Homeland Security by Edwin Vieria Jr. He's a Harvard degreed attorney specializing in Constitutional law and has argued and briefed successfully in the Supreme Court. He's also an NRA instructor. I haven't finished reading my copy yet, but below is the link to reader reviews of the book on Amazon. Seems this book is a game changer. Powell's doesn't have a copy right now, but according to the link below, you can order direct from the author for $20. Check it out.

Product Reviews: Constitutional Homeland Security : The Nation in Arms: Amazon.com

I just read the reviews and the synopsis, but it never gets to the grit of what it says. Can you expound on that a bit.
Just what do they say the Militia is exactly. I have seen a lot of propaganda books that never get to the point in their synopsis as well.
I know what the Militia is, but exactly what does this book say it is.
I may order it depending on that.
A lot of description there without saying exactly what the point is.
I won't support propaganda.

I just read the reviews and the synopsis, but it never gets to the grit of what it says. Can you expound on that a bit.
Just what do they say the Militia is exactly. I have seen a lot of propaganda books that never get to the point in their synopsis as well.
I know what the Militia is, but exactly what does this book say it is.
I may order it depending on that.
A lot of description there without saying exactly what the point is.
I won't support propaganda.

As I mentioned, I haven't finished reading it yet myself. But based on the Table of Contents, it's clear that it is a "how to" manual for re-establishing the militia's place and role across the country. Below is the Table of Contents' headings:

1. The pressing need to revitalize "the Militia of the several States"

2. Some fundamental constitutional principles of "the Militia of the several States"

3. The failure of both Congress and the States properly to maintain "the Militia of the several States"

4. An opportunity for We The People themselves to revitalize "the Militia of the several States"

5. The constitutional, social, and practical necessity to revitalize "the Militia of the several States"

6. The composition, responsibilities, and operations of the revitalized "the Militia of the several States"

7. The need for public education and the formation of Citizens' Homeland Security Associations

8. A Citizens' Homeland Security Association's organizational mission and structure

9. A suggested internal program for a Citizens' Homeland Security Association

10. A suggested external program for a A Citizens' Homeland Security Association

11. Expectable opposition to the activities of Citizens' Homeland Security Associations

12. The basic content of model State statutes for revitalizing "the Militia of the several States"

Conclusion: A major task, with minimal time

Table of Authorities

Define "several states"
Should be all states.
Also in the synopsis, it suggested the militia work hand in hand with current fire and police and dhs, and things like that ???? Or did I mis read that intent.
That's very troubling.
Anyone else actually read this.
As I said I would order it, only if I was sure it was not a propaganda piece

Define "several states"
Should be all states.
Also in the synopsis, it suggested the militia work hand in hand with current fire and police and dhs, and things like that ???? Or did I mis read that intent.
That's very troubling.
Anyone else actually read this.
As I said I would order it, only if I was sure it was not a propaganda piece

Re: your concern about "several states"....

The words "several states" occurs in the Constitution itself 14 times. "The several States" is founder speak for "all the States" and as I mentioned, Vieira is a constitutional law attorney. So my guess would be that he's using "several states" in the very same sense the founders did... as a constitutional law attorney should.

Re: "Also in the synopsis, it suggested the militia work hand in hand with current fire and police and dhs, and things like that ???? Or did I mis read that intent.
That's very troubling."

Technically, no you didn't misread that review. You just added something ("dhs") that wasn't there and then got "troubled" about it. Just to be sure though, I did a word search of the whole review page, and "dhs" doesn't show up in any of the reviews.

As to your propaganda concerns, I did mention he's an NRA instructor. I don't know if you take that as a propagandist's credential, but if you want to dig more up about the guy and his politics, I'm sure a simple browser search will give you plenty of bio info to help you sort out his political fidelities and in turn, his motives for the book. Stewart Rhodes, the founder of Oath Keepers, thinks pretty highly of his work if that means anything to you. I'm done being the ambassador for the book though. Do your own homework and buy the book or don't.

Just to be clear; The 2nd amendment is a People's right TKABA, not the militia's.
the people ARE the militia

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, then-Secretary of State:
"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top