JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Hi All!

I was pitched a business opportunity today that I wanted your input on. The concept is basically Dollar Shave Club but for Ammunition. Each member would pay a cheap $39.99 membership fee per month and it would include a free box (50 rounds) of any caliber ammunition that the member wanted plus a bunch of other membership perks (free monthly targets, a NRA subscription, etc.). The member could also purchase an additional box of 50 rounds of any caliber at $13 a box. All Ammo would be shipped monthly or whenever the member wanted. Also, an addon would include range access paid by the club. It sounds very promising! Thoughts? Thanks!

Nice idea but overly expensive.
Big problem here would be if you are mostly shooting handgun $13 a box is way over priced. Also, you are going to have to convince everyone that paying $40 a month is actually worth it. Your list of membership perks may be fine BUT what do you do for guys like me that have:
NRA Life membership already. A couple thousand targets already. Shoot mostly calibers that are reasonably priced and the odd ball ones we reload for.
Range access might help defer a part but the details may be an issue. What ranges, is there a cap?

Not saying your idea is bad or won't work. But there are a lot of questions and I think you may have some issues keeping memberships happy.

I'll be your huckleberry for a one year subscription of .50 bmg/39.99x12....and 2 boxes extra a month for 13.99x2............where do I sign up

Nice idea but overly expensive.
Big problem here would be if you are mostly shooting handgun $13 a box is way over priced. Also, you are going to have to convince everyone that paying $40 a month is actually worth it. Your list of membership perks may be fine BUT what do you do for guys like me that have:
NRA Life membership already. A couple thousand targets already. Shoot mostly calibers that are reasonably priced and the odd ball ones we reload for.
Range access might help defer a part but the details may be an issue. What ranges, is there a cap?

Not saying your idea is bad or won't work. But there are a lot of questions and I think you may have some issues keeping memberships happy.
So your saying $13 a box for 9mm, 40SW, 45Auto, 223, and 308 is expensive? Where do you buy your ammo from? Most people don't reload and all the ammo is factory new in the club.

So your saying $13 a box for 9mm, 40SW, 45Auto, 223, and 308 is expensive? Where do you buy your ammo from? Most people don't reload and all the ammo is factory new in the club.
Try BiMart, Fisherman's Marine, or any of you local gun stores... online.
Are you providing .45acp Syntech or maybe HST's in 50 round boxes?
Why would I pay you $40 a month for products I could pick up from a store for $10...
Where do you buy your ammo that $13 a box of 9mm is such a screamin' deal?

Try BiMart, Fisherman's Marine, or any of you local gun stores... online.
Are you providing .45acp Syntech or maybe HST's in 50 round boxes?
Why would I pay you $40 a month for products I could pick up from a store for $10...
Where do you buy your ammo that $13 a box of 9mm is such a screamin' deal?

I took a look at the shops you mentioned and the only caliber they have cheaper is 9mm. I will pass that feedback along to the fellas developing this idea. The ammo gets sourced from multiple resources but it's all factory new, brass, and is sourced from premium vendors. They will also be providing $13 a box of hollow point in every category.

Range Access is not attained by just paying a fee. Most all clubs have training and orientation for new members.
A lot of ranges have waiting lists. New members are reviewed and accepted by the club directors. Range membership
is paid annually.o_O Cost can be several hundred dollars to $20 annually.

LOL on the .50bmg. The club focuses on handgun rounds mostly with the exception of 223 and 308.
You weren't specific in your OP. I was ready to join, but I shoot a lot of 9.3x62mm (loaded with 286gr. nosler partitions), 300 weatherby, 338wm, 7WSM and 375 winchester. Tell me what this group would have cost:
hzq5syf.jpg

Had I not been a handloader...

no ammo club needed folks...sgammo.com

some people shoot cheap ammo some people shoot better quaility ammo...the prices are all over the place, neat idea but I see to many issues

The idea of a program that leverages bulk purchasing to the benefit of its members is great. I think there's real potential, particularly in urban areas. Your price points and perks probably need some fine tuning to appear more beneficial to the member and you may be able to get those numbers down with direct agreements with the manufacturer and clubs.

With that said, as someone that buys most of my ammo in bulk online, who lives in a rural area and shoots in the woods, and who is already a NRA/SAF/GOA/etc life member, the attraction isn't there for me.

I wish you luck, but it's a 'No' from me, dawg.

I think the $40/mo fee may be a sticking point and $13/box is probably a bit steep too. Using 9mm (your worst case scenario but also your biggest potential seller), I can get:
  • 1000 rds (Fiochi brass, delivered with tax) from Lucky Gunner for $217 (20 boxes, $10.85/box, 21.7 cents/rd).
  • Doing a little extra effort (*), I found 1000 rds of Blazer brass from Carolina Munitions, shipped with tax for $192 (20 boxes, $9.60/box, 19.2 cents/rd).
I don't think it is a bad idea, I just think the pricing needs adjustment (**). With the Ammo Club as described, I'd need to buy 5000 rds/month to get to a price roughly 25% higher than I could get just by shopping around and making a one time purchase.

BOX | Total | $/box | c/rd
1 | $40 | $40.00 | 80.0
2 | $53 | $26.50 | 53.0
3 | $66 | $22.00 | 44.0
4 | $79 | $19.75 | 39.5
5 | $92 | $18.40 | 36.8
10 | $157 | $15.70 | 31.4
20 | $287 | $28.00 | 28.7
100 | $1327 | $13.27 | 26.5

Your prices are perhaps OK when looking at other calibers. I can find .45 at 24/cents rd using the wikiarms (*) website, so probably closer to 30/rd after shipping. But even then, I'd have to be buying 500/rds per month from this club to just break even with what I could find by shopping.

(*) This is a helpful tool for hunting down deals: Find 9mm Ammo in stock at lowest prices | WikiArms AmmoEngine Note near the top you can exclude steel and reman.
(**) re: Perks -- these would need to be something extra cool to justify the prices because I'm going to guess that 99% of ammo buyers are looking mainly at cost per round.

to get real discounts on ammo you need to buy alot of ammo...I mean alot!!!
100,000rds of a caliber to get any significant discount.
thats why so many gun stores either charge way to much for ammo or tell me they dont make money on the ammo

I am just so tired of subscription services. Everyone wants a subscription to things that have traditionally been "purchase as needed".

TV, Movies (Netflix), music, shaving blades, fruit, water, software.... Subscription burn out. Everyone wants to take my money monthly, and I am kind of done with it.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads