JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
suggestions please? I'm gonna put a 1-4x zoom scope on it and want to shoot better groups than I am now. dont wanna spend more than 150-200 on a bbl. let me know... green mountain fluted bull bbl is what I am leaning towards so far

Thanks in advance

Whistle Pig is local - <broken link removed>

(Aurora.)

That's cool, I didn't realize WP was local! I was thinking about using them for my next 10/22 build to make a lightweight gun. They are a bit on the spendy side compared to GM but get great reviews.

I'm wondering if aluminum would be a good idea or not, never heard of an aluminum bbl but the weight savings sounds appealing to me
IIRC they are aluminum barrels but have a steel liner.

My friend has a buttler creek blue steel .920 on his 10-22. It shoots awsome. BUT! It weighs a ton. An aluminum sleeved .920 weighs less than half of a steel barrel. After shooting his gun/barrel combo and playing with an aluminum barrel at the gun show, my decision was made immediately.
Don't worry about the accuracy of an aluminum barrel, there are stainless match barrels embedded in the aluminum barrel. Tac solutions currently makes the cheapest aluminum barrel right now.

X2 on Tacsol barrels being good shooters. Mine outshoots me but I can get 5 shot .5 moa groups at 50 yards (scope limitations)

Also have it with a thumbhole stock and the light weight combo made for a great offhand shooter (backwards of the norm of having a heavy forend I know)

One thing to consider with the aftermarket barrels is the chamber. In my experience, the chambers are much tighter on the aftermarket barrels, and that is where much of the accuracy gains are. The tradeoff, however, is a chamber that is much more finicky and demands much more frequent cleaning. Mine started to jam after 100 rounds or so, and a cleaning would fix that. I found that very annoying, and bought a sporting chamber reamer from Midway and opened it up. I probably sacrificed some accuracy, but I got my reliability back.

Most of the aftermarket barrels I've seen use a "bentz" chamber which is tighter than a standard chamber but not as tight as a true match chamber, so it's a tradeoff that works well for most people. Accuracy & reliability. You can't shoot hyper velocity stuff in them like stingers though.

I actually put a Ruger hammer forged bull barrel on my 10/22, works great! I get 3 rounds in a 1/4 inch. typically one not touching the other 2. just a thought, if you can find one as a take off barrel. I got mine for $30 at a previous gun show.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top