JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been wanting a good SHTF rifle for a long time. I've had ARs and AKs, they bore me. I've looked at lever guns, but don't like the reloading. I was set on a SOCOM, but they are too heavy. I got looking at the Ruger Gunsite Scout, and really like it, but I don't like the stock and a few little things about it. So, I got thinking! I want to build my version of the Ruger, out of a Remington 700. I'm still researching, but here is my plan, so far...

Remington 700 BDL .308
Rebarreled with 16" semi-heavy threaded barrel
Badger Ordinance detachable mag set up
Open sights
HS Precision stock
Tactical bolt knob

Let me know what you guys think! Any advice is welcome!

good concept except for the remington action. I always felt the extractor was a weak point to the design, that and the recoil lug is not an integral part of the action. There are other actions out there just as economical with better extracors, The howa (weatherby), push feed model 70's, probably others.

Think the barrel length is a bit short, I. Think I read some balistic report that 20in-22in was .308s magic length, could be crazy, I'm sure too, I've a 700 ADL I picked up for $400 BNIB in .300wm and thought of getting the barrel cut down, but the same article said 24in was the best performance from .300Win mag, guess I will wait and see though. Good luck id love to see this completed, might give me a few more ideas for my bolt 700

Be a lot easier to do with a Savage 11 with the detachable mags All you would need is to cut and crown the barrel to the lenght you wanted. And buy some of the 9 round mags Savage Shooters Supply sells. You can swap the barrel and bolt handle yourself.

Sounds like a great project but I agree with others since it is to be a shtf weapon I think a CF action/would be best for reliability. The M-70 design has been adopted by a few reputable manufacturers. FN as well as Kimber come/to mind. FN sells their actions alone so you can build what you want. I personally just went with a Kimber Montana in 308 and can hardly wait to get out and see how she runs out. But whatever you decide, have fun with it!

I like the Gunsite, too, except for the funky stock. I can understand wanting to "build your own", but if I was serious to contemplate that, I'd look at a custom stock for the Ruger. I'm partial to Hogues.
Really, the Ruger pretty much has everything you want except for the bolt knob.
For a couple of differences, you're gonna spend a lot of money.

But then again, it's your dream!:s0155:

Any reason why for a SHTF all around rifle you're limiting yourself to such an inefficient weapon? I understand the value of a bolt gun 110% (spent a decent amount of my active duty life in a Sniper section) and a bolt gun is perfect for that specific application, but the reason for the bolt gun was to serve as a long range percission weapon system which is a VERY minor niche of what one might encounter in a SHTF senerio. Also, our rifles had full length barrels and optics to optimize their abilities - what you're describing is a slow rate of fire carbine, with dimished accuracy, and magazine capacity. I might be missing something here, but it would seem a LMT, LWRC, DPMS, PWS Mk2 series etc would better suit your needs, be more accurate, hold more rounds, and be far more versatile.

Further more, even carrying a bolt gun as a primary weapon system, a lot of guys still carried M4s in addition to the sidearm for room entry, or break contact needs.

If you just want one, then by all means, but from a logical/tactical stand point it doesn't seem like the best plan.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top