JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If it works like they say it will threaten the "billion dollar arms industry". It will be like in the past quickly discredited and swept under the rug and it will be business usual. The American soldiers worst enemy is the very thing he is sworn to protect at all costs. Eisenhower was right.

Eisenhower was right.
Ike was right about a number of things in that speech.
Especially the part that never gets mentioned, which is the 4 or 5 paragraphs about college and university funding. It's proven every bit as important, and downright prophetic.

Here, let me help you with that:
Eisenhower's Farewell Address to the Nation

Akin to, and largely responsible for the sweeping changes in our industrial-military posture, has been the technological revolution during recent decades.

In this revolution, research has become central, it also becomes more formalized, complex, and costly. A steadily increasing share is conducted for, by, or at the direction of, the Federal government.

Today, the solitary inventor, tinkering in his shop, has been overshadowed by task forces of scientists in laboratories and testing fields. In the same fashion, the free university, historically the fountainhead of free ideas and scientific discovery, has experienced a revolution in the conduct of research. Partly because of the huge costs involved, a government contract becomes virtually a substitute for intellectual curiosity. For every old blackboard there are now hundreds of new electronic computers.

The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present – and is gravely to be regarded.

Yet, in holding scientific research and discovery in respect, as we should, we must also be alert to the equal and opposite danger that public policy could itself become the captive of a scientific-technological elite.

And I believe what he warned us of has come to pass. American policy is being held captive by by the scientific-technological elite, that was funded by one side of the political spectrum, for strictly political purposes.

Everybody remembers the "military industrial complex" part, but few ever mention the latter, but I believe it has become at least as dangerous as the former, if not more so.

But this airman, working with Non-Newtonian fluid comprised of water and cornstarch, is EXACTLY the kind of person he spoke about that tends to get trampled underfoot by the big moneyed research interests.

Last Edited:
I hope she becomes a millionaire, even though this is not really all that new. If it lightens load outs and protects our troops I'm all for it.

She should have kept her mouth shut till she was out of the military now the pat is the government 's and she won't see a dime except the collage when I worked in the oil field 's in Bakersfield year's a go a welder working for Texaco invented a thing kinda like a suppressor they put it in the high pressure steam pipes on oil rigs and refinery 's to slow the pressure in the curves of the pipes so the pipes don't shake lol sense he worked for Texaco they got the patten they gave him $10.000 but now they sell them for $10.000 each

I thought Air Force research would be dedicated with better food - like determining the best cooking technique to force the maximum amount of butter into a steak. Maybe that initial corn starch concoction was a cooking accident like when Goodyear accidentally got some rubber to hot?

Just kidding - good on her and hope it pans out for the troops.

BTW - virtually everyone in an engineering or engineering related job has to sign their brain away to their employer or they won't get hired. I usually got a pat on the back and some stock options (that later turned out to be worthless later) for work I did that led to a patent. To me it is just doing what they hired me for so it didn't cause me any grief. Our Air Force cadet, though, innovated outside her job and if this becomes more viable she deserves more compensation.

I hope she becomes a millionaire, even though this is not really all that new. If it lightens load outs and protects our troops I'm all for it.

She should have kept her mouth shut till she was out of the military now the pat is the government 's and she won't see a dime except the collage when I worked in the oil field 's in Bakersfield year's a go a welder working for Texaco invented a thing kinda like a suppressor they put it in the high pressure steam pipes on oil rigs and refinery 's to slow the pressure in the curves of the pipes so the pipes don't shake lol sense he worked for Texaco they got the patten they gave him $10.000 but now they sell them for $10.000 each

Yep, she, and any intellectual property she has belong to the government. My employer claims rights on anything I develop as well, new tools, new processes, etc., they claim it belongs to them. At least with my employer, I have the ability to say I developed anything outside the workplace, so they'd have to prove otherwise. For this young lady, she's 24/7 their property, as will be this development. Too bad, I hope they give her something worthwhile for it.

On the serious side...

I assume what they're working with is a type of non-newtonian fluid with maybe a few extra's added in. If so, it's not a new concept to consider it for body armor. I've seen YT videos of folks testing stuff like that to stop bullets.

In fact, here is one video back from 2006 using 'shear-thickening fluids' as a body armor concept. Maybe she saw some of these too?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top