JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Went out last night for some yote hunting, 80 yd shot I missed the mom with a high shot (head was the only thing showing) and went to investigate and saw this pup starring back at me from 15 yds away and so I did what any enterprising hunter would do and took the shot. It was getting dark so I brought it home to get a decent pick of it. My hunting partner just laughed at me. Oh well I'll aim for one thats been alive at least two weeks longer next time. Good for a laugh at least :)

5831237199_f4e9268260.jpg
IMG_0655 by onajoyride, on Flickr
5831237427_66217585cb.jpg
IMG_0652 by onajoyride, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Killing the pup isn't as bad as killing the mom and leaving the pup to starve. Don't get me wrong, a dead Yote is a good Yote. I just prefer quick clean kills. Which is what you did!

Yea I pulled up my gun three different times trying to decide whether to shoot it or not. I did because the entire reason the farmer called me out was because he has to lock his rather large dog inside at night because the yotes have tried to eat it. After I shot and missed the mom and then shot again for the pup without the suppressor (on my handgun) we were still hearing lots of dogs around. We tried calling the mom back with pup distress calls but no dice apparently she didnt like the sonic crack of the bullet over her head.

Never did much Yote hunting, but did a lot of crow hunting when I lived back in Kansas. A buddy and I would set up some crow decoys and a Great Horned Owl decoy in a little tree and then hide in the brush with a Johnny Stewart battery powered game caller. We used a tape of crows fighting an owl. Usally after calling for a few minutes one or two crows would come in to check things out. These were scouts. If you shot at them and missed they would fly off and you might as well pack up and move because you would no see another crow there. If you shot and killed them within minutes the air would be filled with crows spoiling to get into the fight. We would be knocking them out of the sky left and right and they would just keep circling they were so intent on getting into the fight. Usually after knocking down another six or eight they would figure out their buddies were getting dead and leave.

Thats cool I went out this morning by myself to call a cougar that has been sighted a few times by some of my farmers and I called in about 15 crows. Those buggers are smart.

Thats cool I went out this morning by myself to call a cougar that has been sighted a few times by some of my farmers and I called in about 15 crows. Those buggers are smart.

Darn right they're smart. We had to wear full camo even camo face nets. They're actually warier than Ducks.

They're hard to kill to. The first time we went to hunt them we were using 12 ga. trap loads and some crows that I swore we hit solid flew off. We ended up using 12 ga. 2 3/4 in. magnum loads with #4 shot.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top