JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A barrel chambered for a .223 only shoot .223. Semi-auto or not.

A barrel chambered for a 5.56 will shoot both, Semi-auto or not.

Then there is the .223 wylde and will shoot both as well.

It is STRONGLY recommended you do not shoot 5.56 ammo in a rifle chambered for a .223

The .223 chamber has a shorter leade and may be a problem (on paper) with heavy 5.56 bullets (longer) If you are shooting XM193 either chamber is OK.

I have not been able to find any documented case of 5.56 in a .223 chamber being a problem and people have been mixing these for years.

The .223 chamber has a shorter leade and may be a problem (on paper) with heavy 5.56 bullets (longer) If you are shooting XM193 either chamber is OK.

I have not been able to find any documented case of 5.56 in a .223 chamber being a problem and people have been mixing these for years.

I would second that.
I have never actually seen a gun blown up by mixing them back and forth in a .223 chamber...
I have seen bolts that were REALLY hard to extract.. but not damaged.
he above that I posted is just generally the rule of thumb and strongly recommended you don't shoot 5.56 in .233 chambers.

Those are great reads Deadeye!!

Thanks to all for the info. I'm probably not the only one out there who needs to hear this. I guess I won't be buying any cheap millitary surplus ammo to shoot in a bolt gun.

When you do find that cheap milsurp 5.56, let me know. The unicorn I saw the other day hasn't seen any either. :)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top