JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You don't use it....fine. I do. I'm not politically correct.

Well, you're welcome to act as politically incorrect as you wish. I reported to the mods and they can decide I guess. But going out of your way to be offensive when I just said the general population finds it out dated and offensive as many of us have people in our lives we love that have mental disabilities certainly isn't being excellent to each other which is one of the rules of these forums.

Yes, I'm sorry that I didn't make that clear.
I was being sarcastic. That's what the "/sarc" notation at the bottom of my post was meant to signify.

Be that as it may, the dad is mentally deficient for leaving loaded firearms within reach of prohibited persons.

Last Edited:
IMO, the cops and robbers story doesn't fly. How are you playing cops and robbers when the "robber" is laying on the couch watching YouTube videos? Sounds more like he flat out murdered his brother. Of course, he never should have had access to the firearm, but a psychiatric evaluation is certainly in order.

And the dad. He killed his 9-year-old son just as well as his 13-year-old son did... :(

And then there's this, from the article:

According to the affidavit, Brayden told police that he was aware the gun was loaded when he pointed it at his brother's head and pulled the trigger.

"...he was aware the gun was loaded..." WTF did he think would happen when he pressed that trigger???o_O
I am no lawyer but are perpretrators who are minors allowed to speak to investigators without parents or adults/ counsel? In this case the parent(s) are probably not the best advisors. Father there has 5 kids, wow!!

Father there has 5 kids, wow!!
Well, four kids... now... :oops:

And when CPS finishes with their investigation, he likely won't have any.

Last Edited:
Terrible story, terrible outcome. I hope the young man can be rehabilitated or at least just learn to live with himself. When I was 13, I did some dumb stuff, but I was fully aware of firearms and was given some very good instruction in the responsible use of said firearms by my father. It would appear that either this father thought he already had, was too trusting of a young mind or was just irresponsible. My guess would be the latter, but we don't know all of the story.

My point here is that 13 year old boys know what guns will do.
Not necessarily.
Age and maturity do not always follow the same 'timeline' nor is it an indicator of the ability to recognize danger or safety.
In some cases a 13 YO may be receiving proper gun training and already be shooting safely and concientously however in other cases someone this age - or older - may suffer from a lack of training in a lot of areas and may be getting distorted information (such as on guns) from TV, social media, video games etc.
Ditto on parental responsibility as well.

Who knows what the kid was thinking. I have kids this age, they do/say things that they know are wrong and immediately regret because they're angry and I think most are incapable of thinking of the consequences ahead of time. I also know at least with mine, their memory is about ten seconds. Maybe for a split second he didn't think it would fire or maybe for a split second he actually wanted to really hurt his brother. This kid is going to have some mental issues for sure now. The dad is 100% responsible for this. If my gun is not on my hip it's in a safe, pretty simple. My kids know not to handle a firearm without me but I'm not taking any chances... they are KIDS after all

13+ was considered old enough to be held accountable for your actions in the days of antiquity, and was even eligible for capitol punishment. Seeing the way our "enlightened" & "modern" world is declining with "youth gone wild" running around in rioting mobs... and those GD loud "Honda" fart-cars with the tin can exhaust systems racing around like they're in Fast & Furious.

I'm convinced "the old ways" were best, and it explains how the human race (BTW- of all colors) managed to survive.... up until now anyway.

:rolleyes:

Or, big brother is just evil? Is it okay if a say "Evil"? How does he treat the family pets? What kind of genes have been inherited from a dad that thinks it's okay to leave loaded weapons in the sofa with 9 and 13 year old boys?

Sad story all around.

Is the older brother "evil"...?
I don't know...the way the article is written...it can easily be seen that way.
Sure is "damning" with the :
"Brayden told the police was aware that the gun was loaded when he pointed it at his brother's head and pulled the trigger."
Just what does this really mean....?
We can guess and toss out thoughts about this for forever.
Again , at this time with the story , I don't know.

As for just how old should a kid be , in order to be around guns...
Depends on the kid.
Sense of responsibility and understanding of consequences personal actions...
As well as..
Hand eye coordination and strength...
Both play a role here.

I grew up with guns...my first gun was given to be by my grandfather when I was 8 or so....
My first handgun was a birthday gift from my dad at age 13.
That said....
Those actions worked for our home...and just how I grew up.
My daughter grew up mostly the same way.
In other homes and lifestyles it might not turn out so good.

To me...
Leaving a loaded firearm in a couch , let alone two of them....while you have kids around...
Is unsafe at best and tragic at worst ....as seen by this story.
I am usually not fully on board with charging others for the actions taken by someone else...
But in this case...the parents should be charged and held partly responsible for their son's death.
Andy

Our son shot a 1911 for the first time when he was 6 (closely supervised) and hit what he shot at.
As he got older I made sure that he knew which guns were SD/HD ready and not to touched for other than SD/HD.
If he wanted to look at any of the guns all he had to do was ask, and we would look at it together after having satisfied safety protocols.
We figured that it was better than having them be objects of mystery, and thus inviting.
W never had any problems with the kid and the guns.

It's infuriating a child that young is being charged when parental negligence is so clear!
Uhhh, I have been shooting since I was 8yrs old and never once pointed a loaded weapon at someone. When I was 13 I certainly knew more than I did when I was 8yrs old. Screw that kid.

I've said all this before, but here goes again:

My kids were raised around guns... lots of guns. I did not keep them loaded in the house, but neither did I lock them up beyond that of a standard glass-faced gun cabinet with the ammo in a locked drawer in the bottom. My kids were never curious about guns, because I shot with them from the time they were little. I also had them stand close to a ripe watermelon and blast it to show what would happen to somebody's head if they got careless. I keep hearing that it's different today... kids brains not maturing until they are 25, too much stress, to much strange influences. IDK. Seems like my kids had plenty to deal with and maturity never had anything to do with them not messing with my guns, they were as immature as any.... It was fear of DAD!!

#2: I have no kids, no grandkids that are ever in my house, etc. My guns ARE locked up, because they are behind locked doors. If anybody wants to tell me that I have to CARRY my gun inside my own damn home... MYOB!!! :mad:

Otherwise, yes, bad tragedy. Murder is always bad. Better lock up the knives too. My ex's then 13yr old daughter threatened to stab us in our sleep and burn the house down (yeah, I hid the ammo then!). Today's sheeple would dictate getting rid of all the knives and matches... NOPE, got rid of the kid... straight to JUVI. She was as nuckin futz as my crazy (is it ok to use that word?) ex!!! Got rid of her too...

Last Edited:
Well, you're welcome to act as politically incorrect as you wish. I reported to the mods and they can decide I guess. But going out of your way to be offensive when I just said the general population finds it out dated and offensive as many of us have people in our lives we love that have mental disabilities certainly isn't being excellent to each other which is one of the rules of these forums.
You reported someone to the mods for saying a mental retard or mentally retarded? I assume you are equally offended if one of us were to say someone someone is mentally advanced. Maybe we should say the timing on the car is spark challenged as well...because retarded hurt the feelings of those brainwashed woke folk.

Pls report. Kthxbye

It's infuriating a child that young is being charged when parental negligence is so clear!
They should all be charged.

In times past, 13 was old enough to set out and start supporting your family. Big life decisions were mere years away.

Hell, my own first job was at 12 (yay family construction biz). My point is: 13 is plenty old enough to be responsible for murder, especially when the kid acknowledges that he knew the gun was loaded. Do we trust this cops and robbers story? Or was this just simple murder? It wouldn't be the first time a jealous sibling killed their rival.

Oh, and it's crap like this that is going to bring on the safe storage laws. So FFS people, do the right thing *before* being compelled by law to do so.

When my son was about 4 a buddy had a step son about 7 we took the boys out to a clearcut. And set up a 1 gallon plastic milk jug. Stepped back about 15 ft and had the boys shoot their toy guns at it for a bit. We then walked up and looked at the undamaged milk jug. Then we went back to our shooting position and had the boys shoot at it with a modified Red Ryder BB gun (I had made a special stock for it to fit my son. We then walked up and looked and there were a couple of dents in the Milk jug and we discussed how that would hurt.

Then we walked back and with the boys each standing about 5' off to the side of my buddy and right at muzzle level he quickly whipped out his 629 S&W 44 MAG and with a 200gr Hollow point from 15 feet away blew the plastic milk jug to pieces showering the area with milk. The muzzle blast hit the boys as it would and the shock of not knowing it was coming (no hearing protection) To say the least blew them away. We then sat down with the boys and talked to them about what a Toy gun is a BB gun is and what a real gun is. They listened (well once their ears stopped ringing)

At age 5 while we were set up at the 1000 table Portland gun show selling my handmade knives (back when they were actually gun shows my son is now 35) a guy walked up to the table next to us and picked up a 1911 pulled the hammer back pointed it at the ceiling and pulled the trigger. My son AGE 5 Jumped up on his chair and dressed the guy down but good for firing the pistol without first checking the chamber and without asking the owner his position. He was very blunt as only a child can be. The guy looked at me and told me to keep my kid under control. At that moment the owner of the pistol came over and took the pistol out of the Goobers hand and told him to move on he would rather sell the pistol to my son then the idiot that clearly did not know how to properly handle a firearm.

He then asked me if he could buy my son an Ice Cream. My son used to at age 6-10 wander the big guns shows with a walkie talkie clipped to his belt and instructions to never leave the building. He would wander away from the table with 2-3 bucks in his pocket and come back with a baggie full of cheap pocket knives or some toy cars he had wheeled and dealed his way into.

All that is required to keep children safe around firearms is to take the time to teach them. My dad did when I was about 5 I did when my son was a little younger and my Daughter and son in law have taught both grand daughters as well. To not teach the children is stupid.

They should all be charged.

In times past, 13 was old enough to set out and start supporting your family. Big life decisions were mere years away.

Hell, my own first job was at 12 (yay family construction biz). My point is: 13 is plenty old enough to be responsible for murder, especially when the kid acknowledges that he knew the gun was loaded. Do we trust this cops and robbers story? Or was this just simple murder? It wouldn't be the first time a jealous sibling killed their rival.

Oh, and it's crap like this that is going to bring on the safe storage laws. So FFS people, do the right thing *before* being compelled by law to do so.
My grandfather started his construction business at the age of 13 and was a GC for the remainder of his life. Our society has become soft as baby sh**. I try to teach my kids discipline and accountability but it's tough when all their friends our spoiled brats.

Yes, the dad endangered all five of them with his irresponsible actions. Now he has only four kids left to endanger.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top