JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Random musing for the day.... or you can just say I'm bored for a few hours. :p

So they make very reliable 8rd mags that sit flush in a 1911, then they make 8rd mags that are slightly extended with a base-pad for use with magwells. Why don't they cram another round in there and make a slightly extended 9rd mag?

plenty of room for one more round, yes fully inserted.
1911 mag 002.jpg

side by side, 8rd extended basepad next to an 8 rd flush fit. Both 100% reliable mags. There's no reason they cant make a 9rd mag with basepad.
1911 mag 001.jpg

Random musing for the day.... or you can just say I'm bored for a few hours. :p

So they make very reliable 8rd mags that sit flush in a 1911, then they make 8rd mags that are slightly extended with a base-pad for use with magwells. Why don't they cram another round in there and make a slightly extended 9rd mag?

plenty of room for one more round, yes fully inserted.
View attachment 397834

side by side, 8rd extended basepad next to an 8 rd flush fit. Both 100% reliable mags. There's no reason they cant make a 9rd mag with basepad.
View attachment 397835

Good question, guess manufacturers just don't figure it would sell. Does seem like it would be easy to do. I remember when they invented the new follower that allowed the 8th round. Devel Co IIRC. As soon as I saw one at a show I bought a couple to try and was sold on them.

I remember when they invented the new follower that allowed the 8th round. Devel Co IIRC. As soon as I saw one at a show I bought a couple to try and was sold on them.
yeah I wont buy any 7rd mags. I have 2 but only cause they came with a new 1911... was baffled why they included those nowadays. There is no point in 7rd mags when 8rd mags run flawless. They could easily make a 9rd slightly extended, would have some practical use besides target practice only.

yeah I wont buy any 7rd mags. I have 2 but only cause they came with a new 1911... was baffled why they included those nowadays. There is no point in 7rd mags when 8rd mags run flawless. They could easily make a 9rd slightly extended, would have some practical use besides target practice only.
I still see some 7rounders these days and it's always made me wonder why too. The patent long expired on the follower that made the 8th round possible and the design has certainly proven it works. Now and then when I still see the 7 round ones sold new I always have to guess that maybe some have been convinced they are better or something????

Now and then when I still see the 7 round ones sold new I always have to guess that maybe some have been convinced they are better or something????
my guess is the folks who grew up with them, maybe when they first came out 8rds had issues... Ive heard 7rds "feed better". I do know there are cheap 8rd mags that dont run well (have some...) but I can get CMC 8rd mags that run flawless for about $20 bucks anytime.

just for fun when you compare 8rds to a thugs 15rds, an extra round you can add is roughly a 14% increase by comparison in capacity. Just seems like they have room to add that 9th round would sell like the 8rd did back in the day.

In the old days.........(and I have seen some new ones too) the WW1 pilots used to have something like 20 round 1911 mags thay would shoot at enemy aircraft with. It wasn't until late in the war that reliable through the propeller machine guns were available. They would use anything they could including shotguns.

In the old days.........(and I have seen some new ones too) the WW1 pilots used to have something like 20 round 1911 mags thay would shoot at enemy aircraft with. It wasn't until late in the war that reliable through the propeller machine guns were available. They would use anything they could including shotguns.
I been looking for some I saw a guy on a video that had like a 15 round one the guy I got these 10 round mags from said he has them made I'm going to contact him and see if he can make them bigger

I just got the ten round mags View attachment 397843

not real practical for CC, but the slightly extended basepad mags would be a good compromise with a 9th round.

but... looking at your pic I may be able to answer my question, as the capacity increased so does the spring length but the spring length (in its compressed state) probably grows slightly greater per round than the fixed size of the cartridge diameter.

not real practical for CC, but the slightly extended basepad mags would be a good compromise with a 9th round.

but... looking at your pic I may be able to answer my question, as the capacity increased so does the spring length but the spring length (in its compressed state) probably grows slightly greater per round than the fixed size of the cartridge diameter.
YEP I know but you could carry 8 round Mag in the gun and put the 10 rounders for your reload

Mine run's fine with 7 8 and 10 rounders we will see when I get the 15 if they work they are pro Mag's so who knows but it's a good excuse for me to buy more ammo and go to the range lol

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top