JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think they both load up about the same, but some pistols prefer the round nose vs truncated cone for feeding reliably.
I've been lucky & my guns shoot either with no issue so I buy whatever is cheaper most of the time.

Mine likes either one in 147g. I would load up 25 or more and try them in your gun before placing a large order. Be aware that the bullet shape and location of the ogive will determine where the seating die presses on the bullet and what the OAL will be. For the same die setting, a round bullet will normally be taller than a cone or RNFP.

Pretty sure the original 9mm used truncated slugs.
Decades ago I used the 121gr truncated Lyman mold but now only cast RN or SWC for 9mm.
Just get a RN unless you plan to hunt with it.. but the SWC's DO make nice clean holes in paper and can be very accurate.

I don't have a preference, they load the same and shoot the same.

RN vs TC is all the same. I haven't noticed in what I shoot much of an issue. I do know that a TC in my 40 bullets tends to be a little cheaper (used to be).

It's a good idea to make sure the seating stem matches the bullet shape. I had some 165gr 9mm projectiles that got a bit deformed using a stem with a flat bottom.

Last Edited:
Pretty sure the original 9mm used truncated slugs.
Decades ago I used the 121gr truncated Lyman mold but now only cast RN or SWC for 9mm.
Just get a RN unless you plan to hunt with it.. but the SWC's DO make nice clean holes in paper and can be very accurate.

Huh - really?

My guess would have been RN.

Interesting.

The only handgun I have shot that won't feed 9mm RN ball (or any other ammo for that matter) is my Mitchell Luger. One of these days I would like to take it over to @Velzey to see if he could get it to work correctly. It is a fun gun to shoot if it would only feed a full mag.

Lately......I've been getting/reloading lead 125 grain RN and lead 125 grain TC bullets from my supplier. So, it's only plinking ammo.....Rrrright.:s0092:

Aloha, Mark

Aladeen: "It is too round on the top. It needs to be pointy"
Nuclear Nadal: "Supreme leader the shape of the missile top has nothing to do with aerodynamics. It is about the payload delivery"

I load both and get great payload delivery. :cool:. RMR Matchwinners is one of my favorite 124g TC 9mm.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads