Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

9mm rifle recommendation

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by rickstick, Feb 24, 2012.

1. rickstick

rickstick Issaquah New Member

My son and I shot next to some guys shooting a 9mm rifle. They were having tons of fun. I don't know anything about rifles. Can you recommend a good 9mm plinker that is readily available?

Thanks,
    Rick

2. jbuck

jbuck PNW Member

High-point. Marlin camp 9. Ar platform.

The marlin probably would need to be found on the used market. I'm sure there is others but those come to mind.

3. samuelm16

samuelm16 se pdx Well-Known Member

ruger pc9 or berreta makes a good one as well

4. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Kel-Tec S2000. Buy it in what ever magazine configuration you want. Glock would be my choice but. Not the prettiest, but i have fired a friends in .40 S&W and it was great. Fun to shoot and surprisingly accurate.

5. FourTeeFive

FourTeeFive PNW Washington State Active Member

6. FourTeeFive

The Kel-Tec is a good bang-for-buck and is great for backpacking.

7. wingspar

wingspar Oregon Member

There are a lot of 9mm Carbines out there. I bought a Marlin Camp 9 new back in the mid 1980's. No longer made, they can be found used and they sell quick. It’s a lot like shooting a Ruger 10/22 but with just a bit more kick.

I recently picked up a Kel-Tec Sub 2000. It folds in half for easy storage, and fits in a brief case. It’s a kick to shoot. Only weighs 4 pounds. They are hard to find tho. Stores can’t keep them in stock.

I recently saw hickock45 do a video on is a Thureon Defense 9mm Carbine which looked interesting.

8. simpleguy

simpleguy Clackamas Active Member

I agree, not pretty, but they fold up nice and run good. I will be getting one to go with my Glock 17.

9. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

Kel Tec S2K! I just sold one to finance a suppressor, I'll likely get another in the future.

10. samuelm16

samuelm16 se pdx Well-Known Member

ATI just right carbine is another one if you can find any

11. tomcat mv

tomcat mv Maple Valley WA Member

+1 for Hi-Point. I've had mine for about 5 years and have never had an issue with it. Put a red dot on it and it is quite accurate and reliable.

jbett98 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. FourTeeFive

I got my Olympic Arms K9-GL after selling my Beretta Storm. The Beretta is a really nice package and uses standard 92FS pistol magazines. The down side is that the Beretta Storm trigger is awful.

I like the Olympic Arms K9-GL since it is basically an AR platform which is easily upgraded/modified with all the typical AR stuff. And it uses Glock magazines. But it is definitely more expensive than most of the 9mm carbines on the market.

For a less tactical looking firearm the Marlin Camp Carbine is nice but they typically get top dollar used. I like the Ruger PC9 but they are only available used as well.

You might also consider a regular AR-15 and then get a 9mm conversion kit. This gives you the best of both worlds. Other guns to consider are Cobray-style MAC carbines which can often be found for around $400.

13. rusobr2

rusobr2 prineville,or Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

bang for the buck is the "995 hi-point"....never something you have to pay to fix, and reliable enough to put any type of ammo down it !! face it .....it's only 9 mm, how far are you going to shoot with accuracy.....mines a tack driver at 30 yrds. & if you spend a little time you can keep in a 2" moa at 50 yrds, but then it gets a little sticky after that ! the only problem i'v had with mine in 6 yrs. is keeping enough ammo around for it....it's called a "fun gun" !! there's a dozen more out there, but from the "995" on ......the price goes up !!

my opinion only.....steven

14. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

J&G Sales sells a Sterling 9mm carbine for less that $400.

15. Benihaus

Benihaus Portland American

Hi point IMO only down side is mag capacity, and the aftermarket hicap mags SUCK!!!!
    on the other hand as far as pistol cal carbines go in general, HK USC is about the funnest gun Ive ever shot (in Semi anyway)

16. Toxic6

Toxic6 Higher then a PDX hipster (~10,000 ft higher) Active Member

Hi point on a budget, kel-tec sub2k was fun till i blew it up (not the guns fault, bad ammo) and works with either 59/69 series mags if you have a keltec p-11 or s&w pistol but is also available for order with beretta or glock mags, marlin camp carbine works with S&W mags if you already have a 59/69 style pistol, ruger carbine works with rugar mags if you have an sr/p series pistol iirc, ar works with whatever mags you built it for, or there is the old standbye that I don't see mentioned yet......the uzi lol.

I wouldn't want any of them for use at ranges past 100-150 yards tops. It's a carbine on a pistol cartridge lol.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  17. motoman98

motoman98 Gresham, OR Active Member

If you have a Glock pistol, adding a Mech-Tech Carbine conversion is a great add on.
    Check it out:
    MechTech - Home

18. rusobr2

rusobr2 prineville,or Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

"mag capacity" i gotta tell ya .... when i was growing up, i had an old marlin bolt tube feed, and i remember telling my dad the only problem i have....was the fact, that i wanted it to hold more then 12 rnds! he said it holds 12 rnds for a reason, buy the time you reload, it gives the brl. a chanch to cool down! look at the mini 30, for yrs. the only mag you could get, was 5 rnd., there was a reason for this.....it's called excessive heat !! i say this cuz i had one! then they come out w/10 rnd mag (aft. mkt.) the first 5 you could hit a clay at 50yd. the 2nd 5 the pattern grew by 6"....heat, heat, heat ! i have a old 7600 rem in 308, and i picked up a 10 rnd mag for it, by the time you get to the 7th rnd the gun was so heated, you couldn,t hit a 10" paper plate....

just my thoughts.....steven

19. Sammus

Sammus seattle Member

If you can find one and remember that these were made in the "pre-combat ready plastic era" (in other words don't use modern solvents on the cheesy plastic end cap), I'm rather partial to the AT-9. It is NOT a combat gun, but it is a simple design and can take modified UZI mags.
    IMG829-1.jpg

The company isn't in business anymore, but there's a fair few of them around, they're cheap, and they shoot 9mm.

IMG829-1.jpg

20. cooperdh

cooperdh People's Republic of PDX Active Member

Aero survival rifle. I got one in 9mm and .45. Awesome rifle for about $600 and is locally made in OR. The barrel screws off and the rifle can be stowed in a backpack. Check YouTube for videos on it.

Sammus and (deleted member) like this.