JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For the average woman, I would still recommend a plain ol' 38 Special.
The gun will probably be a little smaller than it's .357 counterpart.
But most of all, she won't like shooting full house .357 loads anyway.

Target shooting with 38 Special 148 gr hollow base wadcutters is good, clean fun !

I have a Dan Wesson "vent heavy" 6" in .357 and even that with its added weight will let you know that you just shot a full house load.

My sister is a new shooter And voted no on I 1639 .She liked the snubbie revolver ,what ever we get will have to be able to shoot 38 or 9 for now. And reliability is a must .9mm ammo is always obtainable & cheap and a wide variety of loads to choose as she gets more comfortable with shooting , I think the moon clips can unnecessarily complicate things for a newbie

Every body loves a snubbie revolver. They're so cute, and cool, and will fit in a pocket, or small purse. Fun at the range though is a little less for the beginning shooter when they can't hit center target. Speaking from experience. A longer barrel will be easier to aim, and the heavier gun will have less recoil.

One of my "out the door" guns is a Smith & Wesson 642 that's been back to Cylinder & Slide for a tune up, loaded with Speer Gold Dot 38+P. Why..?? In an Uncle Mike's pocket liner, it drops in the front pocket of my jeans and doesn't make much of a bump. I can truly grab it and go, don't have to fiddle around with a holster. It's a great gun that I shoot quite well; completely reliable and one I can depend on if needed. 38 snubs are definitely cool.....:cool:

I have been packing around a S&W 642CT for the past 15 years. It has Crimson Trace Laser grips that are wonderful for double action only practice. Although the Smith is very smooth that Laser will really show the shakes and wandering of aim on target as one goes through a double action trigger press. Practice without the laser activated is very important, as personally, I will not waste any time activating the laser in a fast draw crisis situation.

"SAY? Is that a Smith & Wesson 642 in your pocket/W Speer Gold Dot .38+Ps in an Uncle Mike's pocket liner, or are you just glad to see me?"

I see a place for a small 9mm revolver.

If you carry a 9mm auto and extra magazines along with a small backup revolver?
And your primary goes down? You'll have something to use all the available ammo.

Not to mention 9mm is cheep to shoot.

WOW thats a lot of typing about not what the OP asked about.

The Charter Arms Pitbull in 9mm is pretty much the only choice.

79920 9 mm Pitbull Rimless Revolver

9mm DA no moon clips a working extractor system that does not require a pencil or other stupid method to extract the spent casings.

MADE IN AMERICA

I carry a Charter Arms Bulldog (5 shot .44special) and the Wife now carries my Charter Arms Undercover (5 shot .38+P) both have been very reliable.

In all my range time over the last (insert term for 'many decades' here without sounding pompous or foolish) I've never actually seen 9mm revo in use.

Despite various discussions to the contrary .

WOW thats a lot of typing about not what the OP asked about.

The Charter Arms Pitbull in 9mm is pretty much the only choice.

79920 9 mm Pitbull Rimless Revolver

9mm DA no moon clips a working extractor system that does not require a pencil or other stupid method to extract the spent casings.

MADE IN AMERICA

I carry a Charter Arms Bulldog (5 shot .44special) and the Wife now carries my Charter Arms Undercover (5 shot .38+P) both have been very reliable.

I do think the expanded and slightly sidetracked discussion will help the OP with his choice.

Very obscure, but Ruger at one time made the 9mm Speed Six with the Pilorget extraction system that did not use clips. Mostly now in collectors hands, they do surface occasionally. The Speed Six, either with or without the Pilorget extractor, is the best of the best in 9mm DA revolvers. S&W also made a 9mm revolver with an extractor not requiring clips for extraction.

GEDC0252-zpse66d22c4.jpg

InkedInkedP1000580_LI.jpg

Last Edited:
In all my range time over the last (insert term for 'many decades' here without sounding pompous or foolish) I've never actually seen 9mm revo in use.

Despite various discussions to the contrary .

You have obviously not been to an USPSA or ICORE competition. The Smith 929 8-shot 9mm has become the competition revolver of choice in the last few years. But not the type of gun the OP is looking for.

I do think this expanded discussion will help the OP with his choice.

Very obscure, but Ruger at one time made the 9mm Speed Six with the Pilorget extraction system that did not use clips. Mostly now in collectors hands, they do surface occasionally. The Speed Six, either with or without the Pilorget extractor, is the best of the best in 9mm DA revolvers. S&W also made a 9mm revolver with an extractor not requiring clips for extraction.

( I removed the information that was off topic apparently, OP want to know what firearms in 9mm I reviewed send me a PM be glad to share.)

How many of you recommending a 357 j-frame or LCR snub have ever shot one? I ask because 442/642 in 38spl is no fun to shoot, none what so ever, a 357 that size is down right brutal.

Well, I wasn't one advocating the .357 Magnum, but I do own, carry, and shot a lot with a Taurus 605. With full house loads, it is a loud, nasty little brute. I carry with .38 Special +P loads though.

snub.jpg

Back on topic, as mentioned earlier, Charter Arms makes a snub in 9㎜ Parabellum that does not require moonclips for loading or extraction. Unlike the hit and miss quality of the 1980s—90s, most everything I am reading is positive on them, if one's goal is to find a decent quality, budget snub. So that may be one for her to try out.

You have obviously not been to an USPSA or ICORE competition. The Smith 929 8-shot 9mm has become the competition revolver of choice in the last few years. But not the type of gun the OP is looking for.
you are correct. I haven't competed in ICORE for several years now. The then-new 929 at that time was simply unavailable though tests had been run & the fabulous reviews were beginning to accumulate. And the 929 8-shot is not the spec OP mentioned.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top