JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think Ruger makes an Sp101, otherwise I think they are all questionable and obscure or collectors' pieces. I think S&W had one in the 30's or something, still going to pay for that. I'd look at Ruger or S&W.

Just have to ask, why?

I think Ruger makes an Sp101, otherwise I think they are all questionable and obscure or collectors' pieces. I think S&W had one in the 30's or something, still going to pay for that. I'd look at Ruger or S&W.

Just have to ask, why?

My sister is a new shooter And voted no on I 1639 .She liked the snubbie revolver ,what ever we get will have to be able to shoot 38 or 9 for now. And reliability is a must .9mm ammo is always obtainable & cheap and a wide variety of loads to choose as she gets more comfortable with shooting , I think the moon clips can unnecessarily complicate things for a newbie

I agree with the above! A revolver would let you carry a much more powerful round in the same given size. 9mm was designed for a semi auto pistol and gives zero advantages over other readily available revolver cartridges.

Get a 38 Special
They are actually made for a revolver and can punch a nice hole in a dirtbag if needed.

DD
Who is still accepting Cabela's gift cards for his excellent internet answers.
And a giant thank you, once again.

:D

Last Edited:
9mm DA revolvers do not require full or half moon clips. They headspace on the case mouth. All the moon clips do is work as a speed loader and allow for use of the star extractor. Without the clips, empty cases can be pushed out with a dowel, pencil, or something similar, or the rims can be pried with a fingernail or other tool such as a knife blade.

I have DA revolvers in 9mm, but I far prefer a revolver chambered in a conventional revolver chambering such as .38 or .357.

Get a .357. You can shoot .38 special in it with really softball loads, if you wish. And, you have the capacity for .357 loads if the desire / need arises. Easy to recommend.

9mm DA revolvers do not require full or half moon clips. They headspace on the case mouth. All the moon clips do is work as a speed loader and allow for use of the star extractor. Without the clips, empty cases can be pushed out with a dowel, pencil, or something similar, or the rims can be pried with a fingernail or other tool such as a knife blade.

I have DA revolvers in 9mm, but I far prefer a revolver chambered in a conventional revolver chambering such as .38 or .357.

Thanks that sorted it out. quick reloads with no moon clips isn't going to happen. looks like a 6 shot 357 is now what the preference will be. at least she can train with 38 until comfortable enough to move up to 357. there's no school like old school

Get the .38 Special or .357, not the 9mm. The latter is kind of a specialized weapon for the cognoscenti not a beginner. I have the 9mm and the .327 Fed Mag SP101. I like the 9mm but I've been around guns for ages. I'd never buy another .327 Fed Mag. I like .32 revolvers, just not the .327. It's cranky to reload. Unfortunately, I sold my SP101 in .32 H&R Mag, that was a better fit for me. Until recently also had the SP101 in .38 Special but I just had too many in that chambering already.

Re. the SP101 in .357. Yes, you may shoot .38 Special in it; no, I don't like cleaning out coked-up .357 chambers that have had .38's fired in them. I don't like small .357's, too hard for many people (including me) to control. Yes, I shoot soft-ball .357's in my Smith & Wesson Model 66-4 with 3 in. bbl. Nice light loads, leave clean chambers, bigger frame than SP101. One time I took in a Model 60-dash whatever in .357, never thought for a second about shooting it. Only bought it because a friend needed quick money, it went away fast. I've owned many J frame Smiths over the years, I prefer the Ruger SP101 for shooting. .357 full loads are for my N frame Model 28.

Can 38 S&W be shot out of a 357 or 38 special ?

No. As I understand it, the casing is too large diameter. There were conversions of .38 S&W revolvers to .38 Special, and vice versa, in this country though.

But the .38/200 can be fun. Like this historically wacky piece I picked up in the winter:

374637-21cbe388d23b454f02bb5a760c1a4e25.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top