JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They'll probably say "If we don't make it, you don't need it". :) Isn't that always the answer from big companies?

They might say if the Lee sizer works then...hmmm probably not. Apparently the need for a full sized 9mm brass is possibly limited to the revolver application. Hate dealing with these frustrating reloading problems, but very happy when I find a solution. I like the way these rounds turned out.
Now I can move on to reloading more .45 Long Colt, another first for me. The Long Colts chamber just fine in my Vaquero.

Use a Lee Factory Crimp die. It has a carbide ring that performs a final sizing step. Mine sizes the case right down to the thick web at the base and makes the 9mm loads as consistent as factory loads. It sells from $12 to $20 depending on the "store".

Thank you deadshot2, you were the first to come up with the solution to my problem.

Apparently the need for a full sized 9mm brass is possibly limited to the revolver application.

The issue can pop up in any application. When loading a cartridge it's possible to create bulges in the case when seating the bullet not to mention the configuration of various dies. This Factory Crimp Die is just a finishing step that insures the finished cartridge is round with no "bumps" that will hinder chambering.

The inability to chamber a round in a revolver is not quite as bad as having a round fail to chamber in a semi-automatic. Just think how a competitor feels when he's got a good time and score going only to have a round hang up and keep the slide from going into battery. My 9mm dies are Dillon and do a great job. I still "finish" my cartridges with a Lee FCD even though I don't own a 9mm revolver. Cheap insurance.

The issue can pop up in any application. When loading a cartridge it's possible to create bulges in the case when seating the bullet not to mention the configuration of various dies. This Factory Crimp Die is just a finishing step that insures the finished cartridge is round with no "bumps" that will hinder chambering.

The inability to chamber a round in a revolver is not quite as bad as having a round fail to chamber in a semi-automatic. Just think how a competitor feels when he's got a good time and score going only to have a round hang up and keep the slide from going into battery. My 9mm dies are Dillon and do a great job. I still "finish" my cartridges with a Lee FCD even though I don't own a 9mm revolver. Cheap insurance.

The Lee die I sent for is a sizer die. The one that also deprimes the brass. I did end up buying a complete Lee 4-die set. Is it the crimping die that you are referring to that actually does the final brass sizing? I am happy with the job the sizer die did on the brass, but I am always open to making sure I am doing things correctly; since I often find out I am not. I like the job the RCBS does on bullet seating and crimping, but would it be better to use the Lee for that?

Upon re-reading your post I think I see what you mean, If you do not get that bullet perfectly straight when you seat it, you often get a buldge on the brass caused by the bullet pushing in at a slight angle. So you are saying the Lee crimping die can straighten that out? That would at the very least make it look 100% better and that usually equals better function. But it does not appear that that slight buldge has any affect on chambering in the 9mm revolver.

Last Edited:
RCBS reply:
Return the sizing die to us with five cases that have been fired through your gun but not sized and we will have our technician evaluate and repair or replace as necessary. Thanks for choosing
RCBS and have a great holiday season!

Thank you,

Technical Services/ap

I have resized all of the brass that I fired, so this cannot happen. Do they not know that their sizer doesn't size the brass all the way? Could mine be the only sizer that doesn't? I have reloaded a lot of 9mm using RCBS and they all work great in a semi-auto pistol, so their dies do what they need to do very well. Using 9mm in a revolver is a fairly unusual situation and I don't blame RCBS for this in any way.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top