JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I just got into reloading 9 and I started with a nice big box of 1000 Berry's 147gr RN (plated). I started with 3.2 and 3.4 grains of titegroup at 1.15COL because it was suggested by a friend. Nice and soft shooting, but the point of impact is about 5" high and 2" left at 50'.

I switched to the specs that the Hodgdon load data sight gave me which is 3.6gr titegroup at 1.10COL and it definitely brought it down to where it might be about 1" high, which is acceptable. I've also tried 4.7gr Longshot 1.10COL which seems a little better, but they're still shooting left! Now, there is the definite possibility that it has something to do with trigger pull, but I've done my best to rule that out by shooting two different handguns that both seem to shoot straight with factory loads, and I benchrest them both and shoot slowly. So my question is, does anyone know why they would shoot left? And if so, what can I do to correct it?

In the pics I'm shooting my full size M&P9 on the bottom targets and my Springfield XDs on the top. Not the best groups, but good enough to see the patterns that are high and left

CAM00391.jpg CAM00396.jpg

are you a right or left handed shooter?

if you're a righty put more finger on the trigger and if youre a lefty put less on the trigger.

focus on the front sight when shooting

its pretty consistant left. maybe adjust the rear sight if applicable.

I'm a righty, and I actually already place the joint of my finger on the trigger, so it seems like it shouldn't be an issue of too little trigger finger. My eyesight isn't incredible, so it could be that, but the issue is that with my defense rounds and pretty much all factory rounds seem to impact exactly at point of aim, so I'm hesitant to move the sights

if the defense rounds are good i wouldnt mess with a thing. its been so long since ive shot factory rounds out of anything except my shotgun and 380 soi cant say that i notice my reloads shooting differently. do you have a chronograph? have you compared them to factory rounds?

Ya, I'd totally move the sights if I was only shooting my reloads, but I've got a case of my favorite HP's that shoot nice and straight ;) Only thing is, if I decide to start loading HP's too then they'll be shooting left.... haha.

I don't have a Chronograph yet... the guns I'm shooting them out of are exactly the same as the test guns that Hodgdon lists for this load data and I'm loading exactly to their specs, so I assume it's close in velocity. Do you think velocity can cause variances in windage? I know it can cause elevation differences, but I think I fixed that but increasing the velocity (more powder, shorter COL)

different loads have different POI. i read(breifly) somethin a while back about how different loads affect the barrels harmonics. could be whats happenin?

Ya, that's my best guess anyway! I would think that if that's the case that if I significantly changed the velocity, it would shift POI at least in some direction then, right?

I'm a righty, and I actually already place the joint of my finger on the trigger, so it seems like it shouldn't be an issue of too little trigger finger. My eyesight isn't incredible, so it could be that, but the issue is that with my defense rounds and pretty much all factory rounds seem to impact exactly at point of aim, so I'm hesitant to move the sights
Is that factory ammo that hits point of aim, the same weight bullet (147) as your reloads?
Drugstore reading glasses 0.50-0.75 diopter weaker than your reading glasses will make the front sight crystal clear...works for me.

:D

Any chance you shoot at DRRC? I could provide a chrono... Same bullet weight as you carry ammo? Buy 100 rounds of another brand and try them. I reload Montana Gold and have had great results...

Ive been reloading for nearly 30 years, I've noted different POI between lead and jacketed rounds at similar velocities... I would venture a guess that plated rounds would have a still different POI, all other factors being equal.

That theory is pure conjecture and most likely worth less than the customary .02

I would recommend getting a hundred jacketed bullets, load those up to the same specs as those pulling left, run them through both pistols and I'd bet you get a different point of impact...

Sounds like a situation where you may need to enploy some good ole fashioned Kentucky windage...

Is that factory ammo that hits point of aim, the same weight bullet (147) as your reloads?
Drugstore reading glasses 0.50-0.75 diopter weaker than your reading glasses will make the front sight crystal clear...works for me.

:D

Ya, both 115 and 147gr seem to shoot to point of aim, or at least close enough to not matter. I'm seriously considering some glasses :confused:
Any chance you shoot at DRRC? I could provide a chrono... Same bullet weight as you carry ammo? Buy 100 rounds of another brand and try them. I reload Montana Gold and have had great results...

I don't :( I shoot at Johnson Creek. Yup! I have a bunch of Winchester Ranger T-Series in 147gr that I use for carry ammo, so I'm ultimately trying to replicate that. Ya I'll have to try a different brand I think. Know any cheap places to get bullets?

Ive been reloading for nearly 30 years, I've noted different POI between lead and jacketed rounds at similar velocities... I would venture a guess that plated rounds would have a still different POI, all other factors being equal.

That theory is pure conjecture and most likely worth less than the customary .02

I would recommend getting a hundred jacketed bullets, load those up to the same specs as those pulling left, run them through both pistols and I'd bet you get a different point of impact...

Sounds like a situation where you may need to enploy some good ole fashioned Kentucky windage...
I think you're right, I'll just have to sample a few different bullets with the same load and see what happens.

And I can totally just aim a little to the right and solve the problem, but it would still annoy the snot outta me that it's shooting left :mad: haha

It seems to me that all of your groups are pretty much the same amount left... its just the elevation difference. If you are certain you are not pulling the shots then i would adjust. If you are not certain then have someone else of known shooting reliability try it out.

I am a member at Johnson Creek and u reload 9 also. I would be more than willing to help answer questions or trouble shoot what's going on. It also doesn't help that Johnson Creek will only let you shoot at 50'. And don't be afraid to try other bullets as well as powder I personally like hs6 and bullseye. When I was running titegroup I was using 4.3 but that was on a 115gn bullet with a oal of 1.14. but if you are interested in talking pm me.

Ya, both 115 and 147gr seem to shoot to point of aim, or at least close enough to not matter. I'm seriously considering some glasses :confused:

I don't :( I shoot at Johnson Creek. Yup! I have a bunch of Winchester Ranger T-Series in 147gr that I use for carry ammo, so I'm ultimately trying to replicate that. Ya I'll have to try a different brand I think. Know any cheap places to get bullets?
I like and carry the Ranger +p also but in 124 grain. I load the 124 grain Montana gold HP and stay close to overall specs but don't push the +p speeds to save some life on parts.
I could help with 124 or 115 grain but not 147... I think Mr AR Man on this site sells MG 147 gr.

Know any cheap places to get bullets?
I buy most of my stuff from monmouth.com, Rocky Mountain Reloading (rmrbullets.com) or American reloading(.com). Monmouth generally has a wider variety, but the other two have great prices and free shipping. Monmouth shipps at USPS flat rate cost so its still pretty good. If you sign up for the americanreloading.com emails, you will receeive 10-20% coupon codes pretty regularly with free shipping. Shipping is a bit slow but well worth the prices overall. RMR is great as well, with the exception that I pay sales tax since its within ID for me.

Hey Brad. We met at the range the day you got that new, Walther was it? I load a bunch of 9mm, three different loads/OALs. I only load Montana Gold HPs in 115 and 124 using HS-6, don't want to punish my guns or wrists more than I have to. I'd be happy to give you a few or get a few bucks for 100. I'm in NE PDX. Also mentioned, Mister arman has better prices on MG than you can get from them.

Last Edited:
My unscientific mind says the recoil is different and you are doing what the shooters clock is showing above.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top