JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i just reloaded my first 9mm test loads, I had a large # that wouldn't eject all the way out and jammed.

Is my problem Powder charge/ oal / ?
i used 115gr fmj w/3.5 gr x-700
made some at 1.159 oal and some at 1.146 i took measurment off a box of factory loads
i belive the max oal is 1.169
what are you guys using

I also have 500 124gr berry's hollow points to load up also.

Any words of wisdom will help.

thanks
Tracy

i just reloaded my first 9mm test loads, I had a large # that wouldn't eject all the way out and jammed.

Is my problem Powder charge/ oal / ?
i used 115gr fmj w/3.5 gr x-700
made some at 1.159 oal and some at 1.146 i took measurment off a box of factory loads
i belive the max oal is 1.169
what are you guys using

I also have 500 124gr berry's hollow points to load up also.

Any words of wisdom will help.

thanks
Tracy

I think your load is to light. 4.2 gr is the starting load according to my books. I personally tend to set my OAL at 1.165, 1.146 sounds really deep for a round that doesn't have all that much volume to begin with.

With a light load you are particularly subject to "limp wrist." More power in the case means more energy to the slide to eject.
I try to be relaxed as much as possible in my grip but there is a fine line between relaxed and too relaxed - it's then I get FTE. I tend to load my 9mm hot but my 40S&W light, and it's on the 40 that I really notice when I've relaxed too much.

With a light load you are particularly subject to "limp wrist." More power in the case means more energy to the slide to eject.
I try to be relaxed as much as possible in my grip but there is a fine line between relaxed and too relaxed - it's then I get FTE. I tend to load my 9mm hot but my 40S&W light, and it's on the 40 that I really notice when I've relaxed too much.

Even though bullets may weigh the same and because a bullet's profile shape might be different.........it's not always about COLA. IMHO, it's more about whether or not the cartridge fits.

Take apart your barrel and try this.........

45seatingpossibilitiesx.jpg

Then of course, your powder charge may or may not be correct........yes, I'm too lazy to look up your load data.

Aloha, Mark

I'm. Not near my reloading books but one obvious thing is to ask if you have calibrated your powder scale? In other words are you sure your charges weigh what you think they do?

Hi Tracer,

I use 700x too. My preferred load is 4.3 grains of 700x. the book I have says 3.3 to start and 4.7 max. I saw the info online. I check 3 places, then do my first start load with something that works in all the charts. I have found a COAL of 1.100 worked best for all my 9mm. I had issues with 1 feeding and 1 ejecting using other COAL's. I found 4.3gn 700x to be the most accurate over 3 firearms. Try one at a time, check for pressure signs. Once pleased with performance, I load the magazine full. When I first started reloading I was doing 5 at a time. Then I made a few hundred and had issues once in a while with the first round feeding. That was my biggest learning curve with 9mm.

Another target load I use with 3.4 grains and a COAL of 1.075. The Lc9 seems to prefer this load. I started at 3.3 700x and worked up 20 rounds at .2 intervals from 3.3 to 4.7 (I fired as I went)

You have a light load and not much pressure with the longer COAL.

As with any advice online, please research loads and make sure you are in the limits or with someone with experience.

I only use Presicion Delta and Berry's 124gr JHP with 9mm .

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.
B

Also, Berry's (and Precision Delta) are plated bullets. All the info I've seen seems to lower the start charge a little for plated. I haven't noticed that. I think some of the manuals have lowered charges over the years.

B

Between the Hogdon site AND the Speer 14 book I use, 3.9 to 4.4 gr of IMR 700-X for a Speer 115gr jacketed bullet.
Those same sources give a spread of 3.0 to 4.3gr of 700-X for a Speer 124gr jacketed bullet. Those are the two sources I've been using, unless I get too much of a spread then I will look at further sources. Barrel length should be given consideration too.

As mentioned above plated bullets usually have a recomendation of being loaded with "Cast" bullet data. Go to the bullet manufacturers data to confirm.

Scale accuracy, I check mine by using different bullets as check weights, (yeah I know not perfect). I also dump a double or triple charge in the PAN and make sure it matches the weight it should on the scale. I'm very picky about where that needle is on the scale, you'll be surprised how little difference of the needle being high or low equals .2+/- ( 2 tenths) of a grain. With your charge in the pan try moving the tenth weight up/down a notch and see how little the needle moves. I pay REAL close attention to loads using so little powder. I check every seventh or eighth charge.

<broken link removed>
I use this ^ site a lot. It gives me a good comparison of what different powders could/would be doing in my guns.

My pet load for 9mm in 3"-3.5" barrel is 4.2 gr of W-231. I used to load OAL from what the Speer book said, but when Wifey got her Kimber Pro-Aegis I needed to reduce OAL to 1.085 because the 124gr Montana Gold HPs we were loading were hitting the riflings. If you reduce OAL substantialy you MUST be aware of pressure increases.

Hope all that blather will help you in some way.

I would load up 10 rounds of each weight starting low and working your way up, that is unless the "range" is at your house and you're not driving far.

I.E.
10 of 3.5
10 of 3.7
etc...

Thanks again guys for the info, I loaded up some test rounds with your advice and 124 jhp 4.3g 700-X worked well with the correct OAL 1.100 did a few with 4.5 also shot fine. on the 115fmj the 4.3g with the 1.165 OAL is doing well in my 2 guns.

Any thing for some 147g XTP jhp?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top