JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

9mm or 40 S&W

• 9mm

Votes: 42 72.4%
  • 40 S&W

Votes: 16 27.6%

• Total voters
View attachment 1283951

View attachment 1283952
View attachment 1283953

OK, Ok, ok.......
Now I understand the first meme.

Aloha, Mark
Is this the 380 on the chart ? 1664891812079.png

Inertia being one not often discussed.
Momentum yes. A factor in penetration all too often ignored. Expansion & velocity can be negated by inadequate penetration, sometimes caused by a combination of too much velocity for the projectile design and mass.

Talking different calibers, "all things being equal' doesn't typically translate in real world application.

Just sayin....
It is a caveat I throw in when comparing factors to reduce the number of variables. I.E., to isolate the effect of one variable

Of course in the real world you have to account for all of the variables.

Einstein said it best; "E=mC^2" (my phone won't let me put an exponent).

Velocity has MUCH more effect than frontal area. A 22-250 has WAY more energy than a 45 ACP does at any range. (Apples to Oranges for effect).
Yet I would feel much happier deer hunting with a 250 Savage than a 22-250. Both cases are pretty much identical but that additional mass does account for something.

I think a 45 is better than either but a 1911 is a full size pistol that does not fit in your front pocket
I was just reading something today from a medical evaluation perspective that referenced .45 ACP statistically as the more lethal caliber of 9mm, 40 SW and .45 ACP comparing fatalities to GSW's.

For "what was that" I've got two 9mm Glocks (G17, G26) and a G23 in .40. All are loaded with Speer Gold Dot, I'm confidant in that round in either application.

Worth mentioning is that the G23 with a LW conversion barrel and with G19 mags shoots 9mm flawlessly, with no other mods. I mean flawlessly; not one jam or issue in many hundreds of rounds.

I wouldn't volunteer to stand in front of either of them......

For "what was that" I've got two 9mm Glocks (G17, G26) and a G23 in .40. All are loaded with Speer Gold Dot, I'm confidant in that round in either application.

Worth mentioning is that the G23 with a LW conversion barrel and with G19 mags shoots 9mm flawlessly, with no other mods. I mean flawlessly; not one jam or issue in many hundreds of rounds.

I wouldn't volunteer to stand in front of either of them......
Yeah. The only difference in a straight 9 vs 40 is the ejector.. which is only rarely an issue with some ammo/loads. Not that I've had any, but I "hear" it's possible and noticed by others. I can't recall what they were trying to feed it though. Some odd ball somethinorother..

Yeah. The only difference in a straight 9 vs 40 is the ejector.. which is only rarely an issue with some ammo/loads. Not that I've had any, but I "hear" it's possible and noticed by others. I can't recall what they were trying to feed it though. Some odd ball somethinorother..
I heard it both ways, so I decided to try it with no changes other than barrel and magazines. Works flawlessly.....so.....if it ain't broke...... I've relegated the conversion to a range toy; for serious business it's the .40 Glock barrel and mags.

Edited to add - just double checked, and you're correct - the extractor is different between the two.

I heard it both ways, so I decided to try it with no changes other than barrel and magazines. Works flawlessly.....so.....if it ain't broke...... I've relegated the conversion to a range toy; for serious business it's the .40 Glock barrel and mags.
Ditto!

Dinking as a range toy... while I have 9'er mags, I sometimes load 9 into 40 mags and never had a feed issue doing that either. Basically... just because someone mentioned you could and it let's me feel cool "breaking the rules". :s0140:

I picked up a p229 from a member on the board. Thank you. It came with both 9mm barrel with mags. It also has the 40 barrel with mags. It works fine with either caliber. One thing that was required was different recoil springs.

The 40 and 9mm look so close it is a pain in the tail sorting them out in the reloading media. A cheat I use is a 223 case. A 223 case base will fit in a 40 not so in a 9mm case.

Last Edited:
I thought we were all grandfathered....
Yup. As long as you keep them inside your home. They have to be stored and secured seperately during transport.. but... you can use them at the shooting range or while hunting.. once you reach your destination.

I thought we were all grandfathered....
I may be wrong but I think there was some language in the bill indicating that you couldn't even carry with the mags you already own if this passes in Oregon. Only hat home/range. I may be wrong though. I hope so. Not like I care though.

I may be wrong but I think there was some language in the bill indicating that you couldn't even carry with the mags you already own if this passes in Oregon. Only hat home/range. I may be wrong though. I hope so. Not like I care though.
You are not wrong. 114 prohibits CHL carrying a mag over 10 rounds. Only LEO and criminals, gang bangers are exempt.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top