JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

9mm or 40 S&W

• 9mm

Votes: 42 72.4%
  • 40 S&W

Votes: 16 27.6%

• Total voters
Glonks are good that way too. I have drop in 9x19 barrels for all my .40's sizes and... while I do have some 9mm mags.. you can run 9mm in .40mags just fine. Pretty cheap alternative to run 9 when the 40 seeds run out. :s0155:
Glocks are good.

SIG DA/SA guns are better IMO/IME.

After owning/shooting striker fired guns (Glocks & Kahrs) for decades, I just never liked the striker fired guns - the trigger suck IMO. Switching to DA/SA trigger guns like the SIG 226 was an improvement for me. YMMV.

Well yea…. The agency isn't going to pay for the training. And the majority of officers aren't going to take the extra time/finances to better his/her skill. I mean it's only their lives and the lives of others…. No big deal. Haha.

THAT is something I always cringe over when I see these real heavy shoots with LEO's. Often where several of them are rapid firing. Every time I see one of those I am left wondering, where the hell did all those rounds land? :eek:
Having watched a few of those body cam vid's, what always makes me cringe almost non-stop is the muzzle dicipline. I'm just in awe there is not a plague of friendly fire incidents. Painting + crossfire + mag dumps... no rational person can doubt that LEO's are not divinely blessed. Must be something in their water coolers.

I recently sold a 40 cal pistol since it was unreliable. Still have ammo left so I may buy another since I believe it is a good compromise between 9mm and 45 which is too much for a small handgun. I think my current range of 22LR, 380, 9mm, 38spc, 41mag, and 20gauge do their intended tasks well. Always on the lookout for something new and/or different so I don't exclude any size from consideration.

The only thing I really refute is the whole, "with ballistic improvements 9mm will do anything a .45 or .40 will do." argument. It might make a person feel all warm and fuzzy, but that's really only true if the .40 and .45 ballistics hadn't improved right along with advances in 9mm... and again... you can't argue physics.
That is true, but 9mm seems to have benefited more greatly than the other two from the advances in technology, closing the performance gap between them slightly. No one is denying that .40 and .45 are more powerful than 9mm (they are) but not to the point where it is a huge difference anymore and the bottom line is they all suck at stopping determined threats. There have been plenty of people that have soaked up .40/.45 rounds and stayed in the fight. We carry handguns because they are handy, not for their power and like everything else in the gun world it is all about acceptable compromise that each one of must choose between.

Having watched a few of those body cam vid's, what always makes me cringe almost non-stop is the muzzle dicipline. I'm just in awe there is not a plague of friendly fire incidents. Painting + crossfire + mag dumps... no rational person can doubt that LEO's are not divinely blessed. Must be something in their water coolers.
They can't hit each other, either.

Like Stormtroopers.

Glonks are good that way too. I have drop in 9x19 barrels for all my .40's sizes and... while I do have some 9mm mags.. you can run 9mm in .40mags just fine. Pretty cheap alternative to run 9 when the 40 seeds run out. :s0155:
Yep. 9mm conversion barrels and mags for my G27, 22 and 23.

THAT is something I always cringe over when I see these real heavy shoots with LEO's. Often where several of them are rapid firing. Every time I see one of those I am left wondering, where the hell did all those rounds land? :eek:
Most people shoot faster than they are capable of thinking, it is incredibly difficult to slow one self down in the middle of an adrenalin dump, it is something that requires a lot training/practice and focus.

Most people shoot faster than they are capable of thinking, it is incredibly difficult to slow one self down in the middle of an adrenalin dump, it is something that requires a lot training/practice and focus.
Which explains why officers will claim to have only shot 8 rounds during an altercation but in reality after reviewing body cams/etc they shot 15. Training is all we can do. You don't rise to the occasion. You fall to your highest level of training. Truth is - no one knows how they will react until they are in the middle of a SHTF scenario.

I hear 9/40/45 all have same perf but the big king is capacity and shot placement, at least this is what 9mm people claim debating over the other 2. 40s claim to fame introduced in the 90s from tons of cop adoption. 45 all american classic iconic and supposed more "stopping power".

9, capacity and modern upgrades to ballistics
40, little more power but less cap
45, old faithful and used in a platform that won 2 world wars plus is naturally subsonic so good for suppressors

so if i have to choose the meta being capacity and shot placement what really matters most in the standard close encounter self defense.

why not go with 5.7?

$599 + free shipping
23rnds on tap with velocities faster than any of the 3 prior calibers in a lighter recoiling faster follow up shots. Yeah yeah cons being the price of ammo but at least a box will fill 2 mags fully even if you are paying more a premium, but thankfully we have jobs and sources of income to offset this.

testing of 5.7 ammo variety on armor

If you can pull off carrying a G17 or a traditional 1911 there ain't much stopping you from carrying a PSA rock or Ruger 5.7 or the newer FN 5.7 they re-released other than likely limited holster availability.

Last Edited:
I used to shoot a lot of 40 back in the day. Ran a G35 in USPSA and Speed Steel, and carried a G23. 40 is a great cartridge, but I've pretty much stopped shooting it. I do 9mm for concealed carry and 10mm or .357mag for range fun and woods walking.

The way I've looked at it for a long time is the stopper was the 125gr SJHP .357 magnum fired from a 4" barrel.
What approximates this is the 9mm +P+ 115gr loaded to 1400+ fps with 500+ fpe per trigger press. Pretty simple.

...I'm a bit of a magazine whore...
780BD182-F740-4E63-B888-85A8D4E788E1.jpeg

I'm think I'm gonna design a volley fire gun that has four barrels: 1 9mm, 1 40, 1 45, 1 ? That all shoot with a single pull of the trigger. I'm gonna market it to the "undecided" gun buyer.

Last Edited:
I'm think I'm gonna design a volley fire gun that has four barrels: 1 9mm, 1 40, 1 45, 1 ? That all shoot with a single pull of the trigger. I'm gonna market it to the "undecided" gun owner.
Has to be 10mm, Derrrrr...... 👍

Well... I guess you could try to be at least a little creative and make it a .410/45LC. ;)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top