JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

9mm or 40 S&W

• 9mm

Votes: 42 72.4%
  • 40 S&W

Votes: 16 27.6%

• Total voters
9mm. Cause I can easily carry 43+ rounds on my person, recoil is nothing, follow up shots are easy, and it's what I've been shooting for over a decade. And with ballistic improvements 9mm will do anything a .45 or .40 will do.
I'm in the same camp as @1775usmc .

Been shooting, training and carrying concealed, 9mm for just shy of 4 decades. (Got my first CHL when Oregon was a "may issue" state, not "shall issue" as it has been since 1989.)

So, I'll stick with 9mm.

But to each, their own.

When Federal's Hydra-Shok came out in 1988, I switched over from standard JHP. From that point I've tried to keep up with the data about ballistics regarding the evolution of different defensive rounds and move to new defensive ammo as it's been tested and determined to be reliable and effective.

Before the internet, that was hard to do. Now, tracking and comparing defensive ammunition evolution is easy.

BTW: I reload and shoot 357, 40, 45, and 10, and love shooting all of them.

Last Edited:
If 9mm wasn't gunna cut it then the military and LE agencies wouldn't be using it….

Ever try to hit a pop can past 75 yards with ANY caliber handgun when the adrenaline is pumping during a SD situation?

Maybe it's misguided, but I believe that using the right tool for the job matters. 75+ yards.... that's what AR pistols and rifles are for. :s0155:
VERY few shooters can hit well at 75 feet with a hand gun if the target is not paper. Many of them can't do it even when it is paper. It's why I often get a kick out of "shot placement" arguments. I have lost track of the shooters who told me how good they were until you get to the range with them. :D
This is shooting at something that is not shooting back or even moving. When the "target" is shooting at you and moving? Good luck on that "shot placement" crap. 99% are doing good to just hit the damn person they are trying to shoot. Its why I want all I can get out of what I carry. I know there is a HUGE difference is paper and a real threat. Its also why LEO's have long needed to have access to a long gun. The LEO needs to have all the advantages they can get when some doped up scum starts taking shots at them.

If 9mm wasn't gunna cut it then the military and LE agencies wouldn't be using it….
The military's focus is a bit different in that it's a weapon of last resort and at close quarters, friendly collateral injury is a factor. For LE there are other considerations and tradeoffs as well. Like collateral penetration being less desireable and for "all walks of life" that want to be LEO's being able to handle whatever caliber their department choses to issue. Costs play a part as well.

Personally, I don't consider "if it's good enough for them" as a pivotal factor in deciding what is best for my own SD. To each their own.

Just about everything on a Naval vessel can be taken apart with a 9/16" and 3/4" box wrenches, if those don't fit a good 6" Cresent does the trick.
The Navy is so spoiled. The Marines only need one tool.
1664468399686.png

Not much a pistol person, but 9mm is what I prefer between the 2 asked about. It is what I am most familiar with and is ubiquitous. I did get a M1911 issued in USAEUR, will never own one after that. Happy to retire that POS for a new M9.

Sorry fanbois...
I have ~7K rounds of .40 & ~5K rounds of 9mm.

As OP stated, we can swap between 9mm & .40 at will in less than 30 seconds for our SIG 226s.

Ubiquity of 9x19 ammo is a secondary issue that would only play out for me when I run out of .40 ammo, or if I had to get ammo from someone shooting 9x19 in the middle of a firefight. Either situation is probably not very likely. Plus, I would rather use up the .40 ammo first, and that is what I plan to do - then switch to 9x19, rather than the other way around.

During the panic buying - which may still be going on, but not as bad - I found I could get .40 ammo more easily than 9x19 - the .40 is still popular enough for manufacturers to make it and retailers to sell it, but not so much in demand that it is hard to come by. Either way, I got my bases covered.

The military's focus is a bit different in that it's a weapon of last resort and at close quarters, friendly collateral injury is a factor. For LE there are other considerations and tradeoffs as well. Like collateral penetration being less desireable and for "all walks of life" that want to be LEO's being able to handle whatever caliber their department choses to issue. Costs play a part as well.

Personally, I don't consider "if it's good enough for them" as a pivotal factor in deciding what is best for my own SD. To each their own.
Every factor you just listed is a factor I consider when it comes to my personal carry. You have to answer for every round that comes out of your firearm.

Edit - I don't see why the factors listed above should change from military/LE to civilian.

Accuracy is key.

Last Edited:
As OP stated, we can swap between 9mm & .40 at will in less than 30 seconds for our SIG 226s.
Glonks are good that way too. I have drop in 9x19 barrels for all my .40's sizes and... while I do have some 9mm mags.. you can run 9mm in .40mags just fine. Pretty cheap alternative to run 9 when the 40 seeds run out. :s0155:

Military has LONG been against most GI's using a hand gun at all, so their choice is not something to use. As for Police, sadly many of them its VERY political. Often the people making decisions on guns and ammo are no where near the streets and never are going to use what they tell the ones who are to use. I well remember when the LEO's were still armed with .38's and there was a HUGE resistance to allowing them anything larger. The people "in charge" always touted the .38 was the be all to end all and there was no reason to change. :rolleyes:

Every factor you just listed is a factor I consider when it comes to my personal carry. You have to answer for every round that comes out of your firearm.
THAT is something I always cringe over when I see these real heavy shoots with LEO's. Often where several of them are rapid firing. Every time I see one of those I am left wondering, where the hell did all those rounds land? :eek:

You could also argue that poor training and practiced personnel are afraid of recoil and prefer lighter recoiling ammo like the 9mmm and the 5.56 NATO instead of loads that are more effective on target.
I started off with .45 ACP in a WWII era 1911, then a Star PD (alloy frame, compact size - significant recoil).

I have three SIG P227s as a third tier behind my 226s (FN Five Seven being the first tier).

I am quite used to .45 ACP, I don't find its power or recoil objectionable.

But I do find I can shoot .40 significantly faster than .45 ACP during aimed rapid fire, even with the same load (185gr @1Kfps for .45 ACP vs. 180gr for .40 @1Kfps). So I prefer .40 over .45 ACP, and 9x19 over .40 because of the increased capacity.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top