JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

9mm or 40 S&W

• 9mm

Votes: 42 72.4%
  • 40 S&W

Votes: 16 27.6%

• Total voters
I was kind of miffed they don't have a factory threaded barrel option, but the obscene magazine cost got to me. I'm a bit of a magazine whore, and a pile of Sig magazines would require a refinance of the house.
There are SIG barrels available as well as SiCo and others. Can't help with the mags. MecGars are the same old.

I do like that the .40 can be had in some of the same small packages as the 9mm. The only reason I finally got rid of my last .40 was the ultra small and light 9 I use for what used to be a 5 shot 38 is a handful with full house 9 loads. The Co that made it made it in .40 for a while and it was a disaster. Too many could not shoot it and the pistols kept going back for repair when nothing was wrong with them. Now in a full size or even compact? I would want a .40 but, if I was going to do that I would just use .45 as its my life long favorite.

9mm. Cause I can easily carry 43+ rounds on my person, recoil is nothing, follow up shots are easy, and it's what I've been shooting for over a decade. And with ballistic improvements 9mm will do anything a .45 or .40 will do.
^^^Pretty much this. I had (2) G22, a G23, A G27 and a Kahr P40 before I figured it out.

44 Magnum

Cuz I can...
and if I'm jumping up in power it is going to be this ^^^, because going up to .40 or .45 from 9mm isn't much of a power bump.

One of my carry guns is a SIG P226. Big 226 fan. I have change uppers in 40 S&W and in 9mm. I usually carry very hot loaded underwood 40. I lose 2 rounds but gain a lot of muzzle energy vs 9mm .

What do you prefer? Why?
I too have both .40 & 9mm (and .357 & .22LR) uppers for my 226s.

I vacillate between the .40 & 9mm. I don't feel undergunned with either. I find .40 to have a significantly milder recoil than .45 ACP while having the same ballistics in 180gr that .45 has with 185gr.

As you know, for flush mags, you lose 2 rounds in .40, and with the extended mags you lose 5 rds.

I have more ammo for .40 because when I was buying it the ammo was inexpensive; mostly because PDs/et. al. were switching from .40 to 9mm, and they were dumping the ammo.

If I thought I was carrying only a pistol and possibly going to encounter multiple assailants or somebody that was heavily armed, I would go with 9mm because the number of rounds could be a factor. If I was going to be carrying a long gun as my primary and the pistol as a backup, then probably the .40

YMMV.

One of my carry guns is a SIG P226. Big 226 fan. I have change uppers in 40 S&W and in 9mm. I usually carry very hot loaded underwood 40. I lose 2 rounds but gain a lot of muzzle energy vs 9mm .

What do you prefer? Why?
I'll stir the pot a tiny bit....
for personal self defense there is absolutely no need to shoot hot loaded, "+P" whatever rounds in any caliber, in fact its a disadvantage.

That is a theory to be sure. one of others.
I dunno.... I think I could pull off an argument based on science and facts and stuff. Plain ol 9mm FMJ has been issued to police and military for over a 100 years now not because it doesn't work. Thats one helluva statistic to start with....

Not much a pistol person, but 9mm is what I prefer between the 2 asked about. It is what I am most familiar with and is ubiquitous. I did get a M1911 issued in USAEUR, will never own one after that. Happy to retire that POS for a new M9.

Sorry fanbois...

I carry a 40 Shield. For me it's not about terminal performance it's about knock down power. A bigger, heavier bullet going the same speed as a smaller, lighter bullet hits harder.

I dunno.... I think I could pull off an argument based on science and facts and stuff. Plain ol 9mm FMJ has been issued to police and military for over a 100 years now not because it doesn't work. Thats one helluva statistic to start with....
Pretty sure no one here is going to volunteer to soak up any 9, even ball ammo. What scares me is as camera's have become something that are everywhere we get to see real good examples of people being shot. Often being shot with full size pistols using the carry ammo Police use. I used to read stories of people soaking up multiple hits and not stopping. I used to think most of them were stories that were either fantasy, highly over blown, and if real EXTREMELY rare. Now? See so many shootings where some dobad just will not stop even when hit multiple times. It made me switch to more powerful ammo in my 9s. The little compact I use the Speer GD HP Short Barrel in +P. Trying to get all I can out of that little thing. For full size 9 Wife keeps by bed same ammo not in the Short Barrel but still +P. Her pistol is heavy enough that she can shoot the stuff easy. When I put a mag of ball ammo in it, then another with the better stuff she seems to do exactly the same. So I will take all I can get.
For anyone who chooses to not use +P any gun still beats no gun. Any ammo they can hit with is what is of course important.

Pretty sure no one here is going to volunteer to soak up any 9, even ball ammo. What scares me is as camera's have become something that are everywhere we get to see real good examples of people being shot. Often being shot with full size pistols using the carry ammo Police use. I used to read stories of people soaking up multiple hits and not stopping. I used to think most of them were stories that were either fantasy, highly over blown, and if real EXTREMELY rare. Now? See so many shootings where some dobad just will not stop even when hit multiple times. It made me switch to more powerful ammo in my 9s. The little compact I use the Speer GD HP Short Barrel in +P. Trying to get all I can out of that little thing. For full size 9 Wife keeps by bed same ammo not in the Short Barrel but still +P. Her pistol is heavy enough that she can shoot the stuff easy. When I put a mag of ball ammo in it, then another with the better stuff she seems to do exactly the same. So I will take all I can get.
For anyone who chooses to not use +P any gun still beats no gun. Any ammo they can hit with is what is of course important.
yes, but we've learned from all these newer documented shootings that when someone isnt stopped by a bullet its due to shot placement. not power. The problem is stress not powerful ammo. Id rather have quicker smoother followup shots than more power.

the infamous Miami shootout... they thought is was power but then went back to 9mm they used in the shootout....
the controversial "straussburg" tests showed that 9, 40, and 45 all had virtually the same incapacitation time.

You could also argue that poor training and practiced personnel are afraid of recoil and prefer lighter recoiling ammo like the 9mmm and the 5.56 NATO instead of loads that are more effective on target.

1664420374806.png

1664420460311.png
1664420499148.png

OK, Ok, ok.......
Now I understand the first meme.

Aloha, Mark

You could also argue that poor training and practiced personnel are afraid of recoil and prefer lighter recoiling ammo like the 9mmm and the 5.56 NATO instead of loads that are more effective on target.
Even an expert shooter knows they can shoot a lighter recoil faster. Why 9mm dominates defensive shooting sports....
what makes a cartridge effective on target?

Even an expert shooter knows they can shoot a lighter recoil faster. Why 9mm dominates defensive shooting sports....
what makes a cartridge effective on target?
I can knock over big steel plates with my Volquartsen Scorpion with rapid fire. It may only be 22lr, but all shots hit.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top